Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Return To Forever

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Number of posts : 710

Return To Forever Empty
PostSubject: Return To Forever   Return To Forever Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 10:12 pm

Any Jazz fans here? Typically, I have not been much of a fan of Jazz. I remember growing up with Weather Report. They did a mean version of Birdland. I like Zappa. I guess a huge amount of his music is Jazz. I probably should be more of a fan having played the Clarinet when I was young and all of my music teachers were all into Jazz big time. I did go through a phase where I listened to Jean Luc Ponty and Pat Methney a bit but that was about it.

Anyway. I serve on a Federal Grand Jury and have since February a year ago, our term is finally up in August, but there is professional percussionist on my jury, and he recommended to me that I check out Return To Forever. Specifically the album Romantic Warrior. I wanted to get a better taste of it so I got The Anthology instead. I am listening to it right now. Man it's pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Return To Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return To Forever   Return To Forever Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 10:25 pm

That Romantic warrior album is brilliant, I havent really looked into the other stuff though.
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Return To Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return To Forever   Return To Forever Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 10:52 pm

I'm thinking about picking up that Romantic Warrior album seperately. The anthology is nice but it is also good to get a feel for individual albums.
Back to top Go down

Return To Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return To Forever   Return To Forever Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 9:05 am

My favorites are the first two albums:

Light As A Feather
Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy

These two albums were recorded before DiMeola joined which is one of the main reasons I prefer them, plus there's a higher quotient of actual jazz on these albums. I've never been a fan of DiMeola, he's technically a fantastic player but he's like the jazz equivalent of Yngwie Malmsteen...all flash and no substance.

I much prefer Mahavishnu Orchestra, Tony Williams' Lifetime and Weather Report when I'm in the mood for fusion.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

Return To Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return To Forever   Return To Forever Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 1:21 pm

Light As A Feather is my favorite as well. I have all of thier studio releases (just got most of them recently, actually). They're all good IMO, but Light As A Feather is #1.

I haven't gotten into any of Chick Corea's stuff, does anyone know if it's good?
Also, Stanley Clarke owns at the bass guitar.
Back to top Go down

Return To Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return To Forever   Return To Forever Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 1:34 pm

EvyMetal wrote:

I haven't gotten into any of Chick Corea's stuff, does anyone know if it's good?

Chick started recording as a sideman around 1964 (in Blue Mitchell's band) and then showed up on a plethora of dates by people like Miles Davis, Herbie Mann, Joe Henderson, Stan Getz, Wayne Shorter, Elvin Jones, etc.

His earlier solo albums are better, my personal favorite is "Now He Sings, Now He Sobs", which is considered a classic.

Return To Forever F24621q3334
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Return To Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return To Forever   Return To Forever Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 2:47 pm

Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy used to be my fave but in the last few years Romantic Warrior has held that spot. I was listening to RTF yesterday at work and people told me it was bland,elevator music. Close-minded cretins.
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Return To Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return To Forever   Return To Forever Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 10:15 pm

Based on the above it looks like I should revisit Weather Report. The only album I remember having by them is I think was entitled -- I Sing The Body Electric?

Quote :
I much prefer Mahavishnu Orchestra, Tony Williams' Lifetime and Weather Report when I'm in the mood for fusion.

I've heard of but never heard Mahavishnu Orchestra. As a matter of fact you are the 2nd person to have recommended them to me in the last couple of weeks.

I've never heard of Tony Williams' Lifetime.

I just got to thinking -- I think I have an old Vinyl album around here somewhere by a band called Shadowfax. If I recall it was some pretty good stuff. I also have some Jean Luc Ponty in vinyl and Pat Metheny. I think I might check out some of Alex Skolnik's jazz as well.

What exactly is the difference between jazz and fusion?
Back to top Go down

Return To Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return To Forever   Return To Forever Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 1:34 am

"Fusion" is just a combination of jazz & rock...or more loosely, jazz played with electric instruments instead of acoustic.

Both Mahavishnu Orchestra and the early recordings of Tony Williams' Lifetime feature John McLaughlin on guitar. Weather Report is another group whose early recordings (pre-1975) are their best.

Many of these guys in these bands (McLaughlin, Corea, Wayne Shorter, etc) played with Miles Davis at various times and recorded the first few electric albums that Miles recorded (Miles In The Sky, In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew).

Most of the fusion bands ended up getting "watered down" in the late 70's as record labels started pushing them to combine funk and disco rhythms into the music...but the early years (1967-1975) was a very exciting time for fusion.
Back to top Go down

Return To Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return To Forever   Return To Forever Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 1:36 am

P.S. - Shadowfax is more "new age" than jazz and artists like Bob James, The Crusaders, Kenny G, etc...should NEVER be considered jazz. It's instrumental pop music...and should be avoided.

Pat Metheny's early work is worth exploring, as are current artists like Bill Frisell.
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Return To Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return To Forever   Return To Forever Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 5:56 pm

Did John Mclaughlin change his last name to Mahavishnu?

I only had the one album by Shadowfax. I presume we are talking about the same band. The one I know of are from somewhere in Wisconsin. I believe that I picked up that album because I heard them played on local Chicago radio station that calls themselves Smooth Jazz. I very rarely listened to that station previously and never listen to it now. Most of my musical interests still lie in Metal.

Oh by the way I never considered Kenny G. jazz. I can't stand to listen to him, although my wife likes him. I lump him into the Barely Man Enough catergory (Barry Manilow).

Last edited by bgast1 on Thu May 28, 2009 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Return To Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return To Forever   Return To Forever Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 5:58 pm

bgast1 wrote:
Did John Mclaughlin change his last name to Mahavishnu?

He never legally changed his name, but that was his muslim name.
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Return To Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return To Forever   Return To Forever Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 6:00 pm

see above edited post that crossed yours. Please recommend the Weather Report albums to get. I am going to go legally download them. Should I also consider Miles Davis?
Back to top Go down

Return To Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return To Forever   Return To Forever Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 6:11 pm

Weather Report: start with the self-titled debut album and "Sweetnighter", see how you like those.

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Start with "The Inner Mounting Flame" and "Birds Of Fire".

Tony Williams' Lifetime - I recommend the 2-CD anthology "Spectrum" and the album "Believe It" which features a young, fiery Allan Holdsworth on guitar.
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Return To Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return To Forever   Return To Forever Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 6:21 pm

I don't think I can get Tony Williams Lifetime except for Life Time. Which I got. I can get tons of Weather Report. I got 'Collections' last night on Weather Report and used it for going to sleep. I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially since Birdland was the first song. I have always liked that song. I have 'Birds of Fire', will have to get 'The Inner Mounting Flame'

I will have all of these in about 10 minutes.

Should I consider any solo John McLaughlin? any other recommendations?

Last edited by bgast1 on Thu May 28, 2009 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Return To Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return To Forever   Return To Forever Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 6:27 pm

bgast1 wrote:
I don't think I can get Tony Williams Lifetime except for Life Time. Which I got. I can get tons of Weather Report. I got 'Collections' last night on Weather Report and used it for going to sleep. I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially since Birdland was the first song. I have always liked that song. I have 'Birds of Fire', will have to get 'The Inner Mounting Flame'

I will have all of these in about 10 minutes.

Cool. There are alot of other albums I can recommend by other artists if you start digging this stuff.

Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Return To Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return To Forever   Return To Forever Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 6:31 pm

I was already digging this stuff for 2 nights now while trying to go to sleep and when I would wake up during the middle of the night.

I also like electronic music, in particular Tangerine Dream.

I already got all of that stuff. It only takes a couple of minutes if I can find it.

I am listening to that Mahavishnu Orchestra -- The Inner Mounting Flame right now. There are some serious electric guitar leads on that album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Return To Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return To Forever   Return To Forever Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Return To Forever
Page 1 of 1