Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09

Go down 
+14
metalken
Rex
akeldama
biddle
metalheaded
nevermore
Dave the Boss
powermacho
kmorg
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
scottmitchell74
thejokeriv
ultmetal
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Empty
PostSubject: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 8:39 am

5-19-09

I'm very excited about this release. I was in the studio yesterday putting the finishing touches on some of the vocals. Robert's guitar tone on this album is crushing! Alan's drum work is some of the best you will have ever heard on an Ultimatum record. Our producer, Ysidro Garcia, who also produced "Into the Pit" and the demo tracks on "...'til the End", has come up with one heavy sound for us.

We ended up with 13 songs out of a list of over 50 songs. Obviously, not every song I wanted to cover made it onto the record. However, the songs we did record are a good smattering of influences on us. We have a few more obscure bands such as The Moshketeers, and some well known bands such as Metallica and Megadeth. A couple of the songs were taken from suggestions on the board here as well.

With some of the songs, we took a lot of liberties and really turned the song into our own. We chose one of the slower Megadeth songs from one of their less popular albums, but we double timed the tempo of the song, added in our own flare, my vocals, Robert's guitar solos, etc. and the song becomes something completely new. I think people will be surprised by how heavy this song is, as well as how it sounds like Ultimatum while paying homage to Megadeth at the same time.

A few songs, such as "Creeping Death" we took less liberties with and kept the song pretty much how it was written. This song and a couple others just seems to fit us as it is.

Many of the other songs, such as The Moshketeers "Locked in Chains" and others, we kept the basic song structure the same but added in some of our own flare, making minor changes and adjustments to fit our style. On this song in particular, Alan supercharged the drum work from the original adding in some double bass work, Robert added in some extra guitar solos and added some dissonant chords to give some parts a harsher, heavier sound.

Of course, my vocals are my vocals and don't really sound like Paul Scozzafava, nor did I try to sound like him. This is the case with the entire album, I tried to keep the original feel of the song, while at the same time singing in my own style. On some songs, such as the Vengeance Rising cover, I went for that heavy, aggressive sound like I did when I sang for Once Dead. However, on others I went for a much higher, shrill sound, not unlike the vocals on Into the Pit.

It looks like the release date will be in early July. Pre-orders will begin soon. Those who pre-order the CD will be given a free Headbanging 101 CD as well. I'll post info on pre-orders as soon as I can.

Ultimatum will not have early copies for sale. Those wishing to buy directly from the band after the release date, I will also give ordering info to. Copies from the band will be autographed by all four band members.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 9:24 am

Nice - I will put in my order! Can't wait to hear what Headbanging 101 is - a link to no life til metal?
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 10:37 am

This is one of the few this year I'll be able to buy without hearing even one note before hand. It's a no-brainer. Excited!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 10:49 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Nice - I will put in my order! Can't wait to hear what Headbanging 101 is - a link to no life til metal?

No, it's a new Retroactive compilation CD, I think.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 10:58 am

Looking forward to this one. I'm a big fan of cover/tribute albums.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37652

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 11:01 am

Bring it on fellas!! 🤘

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 1:02 pm

I'm buying this from the band. I already have the compilation CD.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 7:58 pm

I think might be a new volume in the Headbanging 101 series.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 9:21 am

i HOPE THE PRE-ORDERS are directly from the band. I like support some bands directly from them.

Hey scott make some banners to promote the new album.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 9:46 am

I'll have some banners soon. Just waiting on Retroactive to give me the OK.

No, the pre-orders are from Retroactive.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 7:57 am

I'm definitely picking this up. Really enjoyed the Moshketeers cover song.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 12:20 am

ultmetal wrote:
I'll have some banners soon. Just waiting on Retroactive to give me the OK.

No, the pre-orders are from Retroactive.
I will check retroactive then
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 7:33 am

ultmetal wrote:
I think might be a new volume in the Headbanging 101 series.

I have 101 and 102, so if it's a 103, then I might need it Very Happy

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25875

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 12:06 pm

I'm looking forward to this cd!!! 🤘
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 11:53 pm

Man, this CD's production is moving along very nicely!

I had the privilege of attending a background vocals recording session this evening, where I got to hear the latest mixes of most of the songs that will be on this bad boy....

Want to know what they are? Huh?

Ok.

Here's what I got to hear, and they were sweeeet:

Overkill's "Powersurge"
Metal Church's "Ton of Bricks"
Quiet Riot's "Metal Health (Bang Your Head)"
Saxon's "Denim & Leather"
Motorhead's "Iron Fist"
Twisted Sister's "Sin After Sin"
Vengeance Rising's "Can't Get Out"
Metallica's "Creeping Death"
Megadeth's "Moto Psycho"
Judas Priest's "Steeler"

🤘

I could go on about how each song sounds, but I don't wanna give it ALL away, heh heh.... Let's just say that they've all been officially Ultimatized, and they KICK YOU IN THE FACE WITH BOTH FEET.
Back to top Go down
biddle
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
biddle

Number of posts : 337

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 10:04 am

metalheaded wrote:
Man, this CD's production is moving along very nicely!

I had the privilege of attending a background vocals recording session this evening, where I got to hear the latest mixes of most of the songs that will be on this bad boy....

Want to know what they are? Huh?

Ok.

Overkill's "Powersurge"
Motorhead's "Iron Fist"
Megadeth's "Moto Psycho"
Judas Priest's "Steeler"

🤘

I could go on about how each song sounds, but I don't wanna give it ALL away, heh heh.... Let's just say that they've all been officially Ultimatized, and they KICK YOU IN THE FACE WITH BOTH FEET.

cats outta da bag now!!! \'arry \'eadbanger

hey ult, why didn't you invite me to come down and scream with you guys? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 8:50 pm

Sorry. Only invited a handful of people. Metalheaded has been part of Ultimatum for a long time. I think Robert took some video of last night's session. I'm sure he'll be posting it on YouTube.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 10:02 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Sorry. Only invited a handful of people. Metalheaded has been part of Ultimatum for a long time. I think Robert took some video of last night's session. I'm sure he'll be posting it on YouTube.

Sweet!!!!!! Thanks for keeping us in the loop, can't wait to hear it!!! Even though I still think it should have been called no life til metal or Music from our elders!!!!
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 10:59 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Sweet!!!!!! Thanks for keeping us in the loop, can't wait to hear it!!! Even though I still think it should have been called no life til metal or Music from our elders!!!!
I wanted it to be heart of metal, and have the old logo from the board which had different letters from different bands. Let's see how creative they get if they do a shirt from this album 🤘
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 11:05 pm

powermacho wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I wanted it to be heart of metal, and have the old logo from the board which had different letters from different bands. Let's see how creative they get if they do a shirt from this album 🤘

Flotsam did the different letters from different band logos on their High CD.

We did think of a creative way to include some of the bands logos in the booklet.

ult

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 2:12 pm

metalheaded wrote:

Overkill's "Powersurge"
Motorhead's "Iron Fist"
Megadeth's "Moto Psycho"
Judas Priest's "Steeler"

🤘

Man, that is one helluva tracklist. Would've been cooler if you guys did Deceiver instead of Steeler though, that'd be brutal!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 2:36 pm

Dave the Boss wrote:
metalheaded wrote:

Overkill's "Powersurge"
Motorhead's "Iron Fist"
Megadeth's "Moto Psycho"
Judas Priest's "Steeler"

🤘

Man, that is one helluva tracklist. Would've been cooler if you guys did Deceiver instead of Steeler though, that'd be brutal!

thanks. That's most of the track listing. There are 13 songs total.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 11:56 am

When did QUIET RIOT song was suggested? it wasn't on scott's or Rob's list as far as I remember
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 12:20 pm

powermacho wrote:
When did QUIET RIOT song was suggested? it wasn't on scott's or Rob's list as far as I remember

It was Robert's suggestion and one that came right at the end of deciding which songs to record. Robert really wanted to record it. He also wanted to record For Those About to Rock by AC/DC but that one didn't make the cut.

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 11:04 pm

Nice to see Moto Psycho on there, I figured it'd be a song off The World Needs A Hero. I'm chomping at the bit to see how you Ultimatized that one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09   Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lex Metalis update, 5-19-09
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Band Forums :: Ultimatum-
Jump to: