Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

what do you all think of Mother Love Bone?

Go down 
+15
martinsane
nevermore
tohostudios
rattpoison
scottmitchell74
kethdredd
TheGooch
Metal Misfit
MetalGuy71
Shiney
stormspell
mc666
SAHB Healer
fingers
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

what do you all think of Mother Love Bone? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Mother Love Bone?   what do you all think of Mother Love Bone? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2008 5:37 pm

Yeah i knew PJ were called Mookie Blaylock, in fact it might be better off calling the band that made Ten Mookie Blaylock and then call em Pearl Jam from Vs. onwards.

I've got the New American Shame album, great stuff.

That War Babies album is totally killer, gritty street blues metal with fantastic songs. Gets alot of play with me.

Looking at that list their looked like a few glam metal bands strutting their stuff around Seattle, seems weird but i guess every city had them.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Mother Love Bone?   what do you all think of Mother Love Bone? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2008 8:01 pm

First time I ever heard MLB was when they provided the soundtrack for one of those surfing videos. Thought it was just amazing and became an instant fan. Someone really ought do an Andrew Wood movie.

I'll second the love for The Best Kissers In The World. Puddin was an incredible E.P.. "Pickin Flowers For" was my song that summer ('93 I think).
Back to top Go down
HellRaiser
Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

Number of posts : 242

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Mother Love Bone?   what do you all think of Mother Love Bone? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 12:53 am

I only have 'Apple' but I like it quite a bit. Definitely an alt-rock vibe, but there's some glam leanings too (not so much in the 80s LA glam sense though - at least I don't hear it - but rather T Rex or even a bit of Mott The Hoople; maybe? Laughing ). Definitely a hard band to pigeonhole. Good album.

Haha, I have a CDR of Bang Gang's 'Love Sells' - now THAT was a hair band (pretty good one too). They cover T Rex's 20th Century Boy which I'm sure some glam purists would vomit over, but I've always found it amusing. 'Young and the Restless' is a cool song.
Back to top Go down
HellRaiser
Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

Number of posts : 242

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Mother Love Bone?   what do you all think of Mother Love Bone? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 12:56 am

Oh, and the earliest Alice In Chains demos (when they were Alice N' Chains, shortly after changing their name from Sleze - Layne was the only member from the later lineup) are a real mind-blower.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Mother Love Bone?   what do you all think of Mother Love Bone? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 12:59 am

Oh yeah i've heard those Alice N' Chainz demos, their wonderfully demented songs of speed sleaze. Totally outrageous.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Mother Love Bone?   what do you all think of Mother Love Bone? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 1:49 am

I just want to say what an awesome trip down memory lane this thread is and yes RP, there were a good # of Glam/rock bands in Seattle back in the day.

A few more: Broken Toyz, Cats N Dogs, Pretty Boy, Rail, Sedated Souls, Dr. Grind, Villan, Perennial, Upper Echelon, Open Fire, Koda Khan, Overlord, Strike, Mace, Kil D' Kor, Jinxx, Poets Crown, Passion Toy, Dehumanizers, Shock Treatment, Show & Tell, DC Lacroix, Vadasy Jade, Attax (Featuring John Reidt of Tramp Alley, Bathtub Gin and NAS), Coven, My Eyes, 64 Spiders...

Whew. More to come and I am trying to keep it in the 80's/early 90's.

And agreed on PJ's Ten being referered to Mookie B.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Mother Love Bone?   what do you all think of Mother Love Bone? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 2:00 am

jstate wrote:
First time I ever heard MLB was when they provided the soundtrack for one of those surfing videos. Thought it was just amazing and became an instant fan. Someone really ought do an Andrew Wood movie.

I'll second the love for The Best Kissers In The World. Puddin was an incredible E.P.. "Pickin Flowers For" was my song that summer ('93 I think).

Gerald Collier is a songwriting genius. (And you will see that NAS guitarist Jim Paulson plays leads on this one)(Can't speak for him now but GC had a bit of an alcohol issue back in the early 90's, quite violent.) I have a cassette of songs that they recorded and demo'd for MCA, many songs that did not make it on any recordings and they are really good. Seek out the Ep on Sub Pop that came out before Puddin'. Songs like Vicodine, Goldfish Bowl, Hungover Together, a duet with Carrie Akre of Hammerbos and Goodness fame.
Gerald did a handful of solo records and if you can find it a goof lil' band called Deer Whistle...

Pickin' Flowers For is a great song, but I would say my favorite would be Melanie. But there are way to amny great songs on this EP and don't hesitate picking up Been There if you liked Puddin'. Very similar. Highlights: She Won't Get Under Me Till I Get Over You, Bich Can Sing...
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Mother Love Bone?   what do you all think of Mother Love Bone? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 1:16 am

Bump the La La!

Found this great clip on youtube.......MLB sure did bring the funk......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R5hNZx8w9A
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Mother Love Bone?   what do you all think of Mother Love Bone? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 11:33 am

Mother Love Bone great band, I personally could not imagine them becoming a huge band like Nirvana, Soundgarden and their spin off band Pearl Jam became. Their image they didnot fit with any of the bands mentioned and Andrew Wood lyrics were too idiosyncratic. Musicially I can consider them grunge, maybe alternative glam a tag that someone coined on this thread.

Great band, Andrew Wood another rock drug causality, way too many great ones die from this sh!t.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18952

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Mother Love Bone?   what do you all think of Mother Love Bone? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 11:15 pm

I thought they were a really good band. Because of Wood's death, their songs have a haunting feel about them to me. They could have been big.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Mother Love Bone?   what do you all think of Mother Love Bone? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what do you all think of Mother Love Bone?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: