Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hearing Damage

Go down 
+21
7thSecond
Smindas
Troublezone
James B.
Leatherface
sam
Schbopo
nevermore
SlaytanicPOWER
Lurideath
manny
A Handful of Wayne
kmorg
Glenn Rogers
Stender
Fat Freddy
Required Fields
SAHB Healer
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
metalmaniac122
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
metalmaniac122
Metal student
Metal student
metalmaniac122

Number of posts : 137

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 12:35 pm

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/8841090/music_making_fans_deaf
Disscuss
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Huh?

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 12:39 pm

My ears sound like a couple of blown out Chevy speakers.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 12:56 pm

metalmaniac122 wrote:
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/8841090/music_making_fans_deaf
Disscuss

Bah! That article is nothing new. They said the same thing 20 years ago when everyone was plugged into Sony Walkmans. And I'm sure if I asked my father, he'd tell me about how newspapers of the day ran stories about teens damaging their ears by holding transistor radios up to their ears and listening to that horrible rock n' roll music. Or how my grandfather lost his hearing from sitting too close to the trombone player in Glen Miller's orchestra.

Common sense, people. Try using it once in awhile.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 3:11 pm

Prolonged exposed to loud noises can damage your hearing? Really? No Smurf Poo!

Wow, what genuises to figure that out!!!!!!

Geeze - common sense!!!!!! I always wear ear plugs to shows now!!! Especially if I am close to the speakers!!!!
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 9:40 pm

I got my ears messed up at a White Zombie/Monster Magnet show in '93. I'd had ringing in my ears before and it always went away, but this time it never did. I've taken care of my ears compulsively ever since (I carry earplugs everywhere, not just to shows) and luckily it hasn't gotten any worse. No better but no worse. Of course I still listen to "loud" music, but I don't listen to it at high volume any more. Of course that's one of the great things about heavy music, it's still audible at medium volumes. Maybe this hearing loss is one of the reasons of never learned to appreciate more subtle forms of music. I can't hear it!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28455

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 9:44 pm

I remember having a blockage in my ear ducts that developed a couple of weeks after seeing Slayer live in 2004. After it was removed, I had blood pouring from my ears for a while. I wonder if that and the Slayer concert can be related.

Still, best concert I've seen in my life.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 9:49 pm

Like most people, when I first started going to shows (especially in clubs/theatres) I got used to having a ringing in my ears for a day or two after a concert and brushed it off. That was until I saw Widowmaker (w/Dee Snider) at a shoebox size club in NJ in 1992. Even though the club was a tiny lil' joint, Dee and the boys brought enough Marshalls into that place to bring down Madison Square Garden, and I was right up front for the entire show. Yea, it was frickin LOUD. I swear to you guys, I could barely hear a damn thing for almost a week after that show. I was starting to get really scared that my hearing was never going to return to normal. When the ringing finally subsided I chalked it up as a life lesson and I've been bringing ear plugs to concerts ever since.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 10:06 pm

Required Fields wrote:
I remember having a blockage in my ear ducts that developed a couple of weeks after seeing Slayer live in 2004. After it was removed, I had blood pouring from my ears for a while. I wonder if that and the Slayer concert can be related.

Still, best concert I've seen in my life.

That reminds me of when a few friends and myself went to see slayer and the other bands on the 2006 unholy alliance tour. I distinguishly remember my parents giving me ear plugs in case it was really bad...of course acting like a kid I cared too much about what my friends might think...I promptly ditched em...haha.
Back to top Go down
Glenn Rogers
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 10:54 am

Well, over 25 years of live music at least 2 to 3 times a week has left me with some dammage for sure.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 10:56 am

Glenn Rogers wrote:
Well, over 25 years of live music at least 2 to 3 times a week has left me with some dammage for sure.

Do you wear earplugs when you play, Glenn? Just curious. I know a lot of guys do nowadays.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 10:59 am

Luckily I only have slight hearing loss in my left ear, my right ear tested fine the last time I had it checked.

The worst "ringing" I ever had to deal with was a Ratt/Bon Jovi concert in 1985. My seats were right in front of the PA system and I couldn't hear a thing for days afterward. That scared me enough to the point where I've been wearing ear plugs ever since when going to shows.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 11:09 am

Tinnitus rules my world!

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 11:18 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Glenn Rogers wrote:

Do you wear earplugs when you play, Glenn? Just curious. I know a lot of guys do nowadays.

I should,but I don't. I hate the sound when I have them on. At this point I figure it's too late for me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 11:18 am

I starting wearing ear plugs to concerts a few years ago. Kinda by accident, I realized that by sticking my fingers in my ears, I could actually hear the music better. I guess it cut down on the distortion or something. I also noticed that the ringing was lasting longer than just the "day after", which had me a little concerned.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 11:19 am

Ive never had ringing but occasionaly I get a humming sound after I listen to music and the room is really quiet. I blame that on this one show I did where the monitor was right next to my ear and I think someones guitar or maybe my singers mic made a really loud squeal and ever since then Ive had the humming. My hearing is still good though I never have a problem hearing anything.

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 11:49 am

I did the ol' lose the hearing in one ear after a King's X/Galactic Cowboys show. Lasted almost a week and sometimes my right ear hums which I guess is tinnitus. My overall hearing seems good though.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 12:08 pm

Glenn Rogers wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Glenn Rogers wrote:

I should,but I don't. I hate the sound when I have them on. At this point I figure it's too late for me.

Haha, well we appreciate your sacrifice for the sake of thrash, sir. headbanger

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 12:10 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Kinda by accident, I realized that by sticking my fingers in my ears, I could actually hear the music better. I guess it cut down on the distortion or something.

I've noticed that as well. The music may not be as loud, but sometimes it's not as "fuzzy" either.
When I went to see Metallica @ the end of January, I brought plugs, but forgot to put them in while the opening bands were on. As soon as Metallica kicked in (approximately 10x louder than either Machine Head or The Sword were) I suddenly went "Oh yea, I forgot," reached into my pocket and plugged'em in there.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 12:14 pm

I also wear earplugs to shows when I go, when I was kid I refused to wear earplugs, that did seem metal, than I went saw Motorhead in the frontrow, my ears rang for days and like Freddy chalked up as a life lesson.

Thankfully my hearing is still very good which is a miracle considering how many concerts I attended before I started using earplugs.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 12:41 pm

Well my hearing is real bad. My hearing loss is because of guns. Music plays a role for sure as well, but not nearly as much.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 1:20 pm

Lurideath wrote:
Well my hearing is real bad. My hearing loss is because of guns. Music plays a role for sure as well, but not nearly as much.

Do you shoot often?

I just registered at my gun club for a membership not to long ago.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 2:27 pm

No not anymore. Haven't fired a shot since 1998. I'd love to go back out and do it again, but just don't have the time anymore.
Back to top Go down
SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 5:24 pm

I'm going to be more concerned about gunfire or artillery ruining my hearing.

I think a few days of deafening is a great souvenir loljk
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25900

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 7:02 pm

I have some hearing damage. I would say part of it is from music
9even though I've been wearing earplugs to shows for quite a few years now
) and the other part of my hearing loss is from slaving away in a loud factory.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hearing Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing Damage   Hearing Damage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hearing Damage
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next