Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION

Go down 
+3
powermacho
nevermore
Fat Freddy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION Empty
PostSubject: Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION   Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 3:01 pm

Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION Savatage_Front

...otherwise known as "the lost Savatage live album." I'm curious about this one, does anyone 'round here have it? As I understand it, Metal Blade was about to release this in the mid 90s but it ended up getting shelved so only a bunch of promotional copies were distributed. I've never actually seen a copy of this puppy (and in fact never even knew it existed till I started prowling teh internetz back in the early '00s). Last I looked those promos go for some pretty good coin on eBay (there's one on there right now with a Buy It Now of $155 -- yikes! Too rich for my blood!)

Does anyone know when/where it was recorded? Chris Caffery's site sez it was taped during the GUTTER BALLET tour but doesn't say where... I did see Savatage on that tour (at L'amour in Brooklyn, NY) and Jon O. informed the crowd that the show was being recorded for a live album, so I'm wondering if this might have been the show I was at. Probably not (because I'm sure the show I was at was not the only one they taped), but you never know.

Chris goes on to say that the album got cancelled at the last minute because Metal Blade didn't have proper clearance from Atlantic Records (Savatage's then-current label) to release it, and that the band wasn't happy about the sound quality of the album either. So if anyone's got it, how does this thing sound?

Any info would be appreciated!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION   Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 3:05 pm

I have a DVD boot by that name recorded on the Gutter tour that I got from Rich. The thing is freakin awesome!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION   Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 3:09 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
I have a DVD boot by that name recorded on the Gutter tour that I got from Rich. The thing is freakin awesome!

I'm sure it is... I'd love to see that DVD (hint, hint...haha). The show I saw in Brooklyn is bar none the best show I ever saw in my life! Savatage was ON FIRE that night (I was right up front and both Criss Oliva and Doc Killdrums high-fived me at the end of the set!), and the opening act was Trouble (pimping their Def American debut)... I still get all squishy inside when I remember that gig... ahhh, memories...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION   Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 3:10 pm

Quote :
I'm sure it is... I'd love to see that DVD (hint, hint...haha).

I still gotta make that Overkill DVD for ya too. Looking forward to that Sepultura review! Wink
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION   Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 3:12 pm

SpectreFate wrote:

I still gotta make that Overkill DVD for ya too. Looking forward to that Sepultura review! Wink

Ugh, don't remind me... I have had NOOOO time for finishing my review shiz lately...but I'll git that stuff I promised you shipped out someday, I sweartagawd...

Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

PostSubject: Re: Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION   Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 4:41 pm

I've got it. Won a copy off ebay pretty cheap. It's a promo in a carboard slip sleeve just like your picture. I have no complaints about the sound at all.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

PostSubject: Re: Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION   Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 12:19 am

I have never seen it, not even used on any store
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION   Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 1:04 pm

I think you pretty much nailed it with yor own research there, FF. I have the disc and it is a cardboard promo only. A very cool item indeed. 155$, eh? Man, if I sold my shitz, I'd be a rich man now. My cover is signed by several Savatage members.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION   Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 2:28 pm

kmorg wrote:
My cover is signed by several Savatage members.

It's funny, when I did a Google Image Search to find a pic of the CD cover to start this thread, several of the hits that came back were all of the same signed CD cover. One guy's picture must be circulating to a whole bunch of different sites. Laughing

Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION   Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 3:20 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
kmorg wrote:
My cover is signed by several Savatage members.

It's funny, when I did a Google Image Search to find a pic of the CD cover to start this thread, several of the hits that came back were all of the same signed CD cover. One guy's picture must be circulating to a whole bunch of different sites. Laughing

I think I used to have the same picture on my site, until I got a picture of my own CD taken, or scanned.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION   Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 10:58 pm

powermacho wrote:
I have never seen it, not even used on any store

Same here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION   Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 6:51 pm

I bought mine for 39.99 sealed on ebay, and free shipping to boot.

Of course, it's incredible.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION   Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 11:19 am

So anyways, I recently managed to get hold of this album through (*cough cough*) alternative channels, and it's not bad. The sound quality could be a bit better I suppose (it sounds more like a decent quality bootleg, rather than an official "live" album) but some of Jon O's stage patter with the crowd is hilarious ("YOU ARE METAL!" ... "Ya like dead people don'tcha?" Bwahahahaha) but overall I can see why this one was shelved, particularly since the GHOST IN THE RUINS and LIVE IN JAPAN '94 albums were already out there around the time that this was due to be released (1995)... the probably didn't want to flood the market with yet another live Savatage album...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION   Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 1:14 pm

Does the promo CD mention where it was recorded?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION   Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 1:16 pm

detuned wrote:
Does the promo CD mention where it was recorded?

Nope, but Jon O. mentions "Deutschland" a couple of times in his stage patter so it must've been taped in Germany.

Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION   Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 3:21 pm

I've got a sealed copy of this and a cdr to listen to. GREAT live set,
but the sound is a little muddy. It's either the best bootleg you've
ever heard or a so-so official release.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION   Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 9:00 am

This is the one from the HOTMK tour , right? Me havey! 10/10
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION   Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 1:21 pm

I just discovered that the live version of "Sirens" from this release is the same as the bonus track on the "Sirens/Dungeons Are Calling" reissue from 1994.

PostSubject: Re: Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION   Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Savatage - LIVE DEVASTATION
Page 1 of 1