Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc

Go down 
+5
Shiney
SAHB Healer
tohostudios
Olafsto
rattpoison
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Empty
PostSubject: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 10:43 pm

Shiney impossibly brought up the Beat Farmers in "That Thread" (As It Is Now Known), and i thought maybe there should be a thread on that great band......but when you think about the Beat Farmers it's impossible not to think about the Del Lords, Del Fuegos, Jason And The Scorchers, The Johnnys, Long Ryders etc etc etc.

It seemed like all these bands were unruly "Sons Of The Dolls" and Thunders but swapped lipstick and hooker slap for rawhide and spurs, ranging from the Wild West of the US to the Far East of Australia. Equal parts Jerry Lee Lewis, AC/DC, Marty Robbins, The Heartbreakers, Gram Parsons, The Sex Pistols, Hank Williams, The Ramones, Duane Eddy, Slade, Elvis, Nuggets, Creedence and Gene And Eddie.

Even through the of it's time production that was afforded them when major labels came a knockin' they were still ass kickin', boots stompin', roots rockin' motherf*ckers.

So yeah strap yourself in.......

Long Ryders
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0saf-DKQoM8

The Johnnys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNXj_8jVb_w

Del Fuegos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urd60ot_5R8
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 12:37 pm

Glad something good came out of "That thread" Smile

I love Del Lords..
Two of their members, Scott Kempner and Frankie Funaro have been playing with one of my all time favourite musician/songwriter David Kincaid, in The Brandos.
I also have Scott Kempner`s solo album..
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 2:04 pm

Man, I have almost all these bands. I went through a major "cowpunk" phase back in the 80s. I still love Jason and the Scorchers, Del Fuegos, Del Lords, Long Ryders, etc.

I have The Brandos too.

What about Webb Wilder?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 2:38 am

I'm realizing how soft I am on 80's roots rock compared to other eras. I was way off into being a Baseball fan at that time and missed a lot.
You guys need to make me some comps of some of the harder sounding songs so I can get my bearings.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 1:17 pm

Some one seriously need to put out TEX & THE HORSEHEADS on cd....

Other great bands of this ilk, that RP neglected to mention...

THE BLASTERS....(It may well have started here!)

GEORGIA SATELLITES....they brushed the mainstream but were considered a novelty act...sadly. Killer band!!

THE JONESES....SODA POP KIDS....THE REDUCERS....THE HANGMEN...LORDS OF THE NEW CHURCH.....early FIELDS OF NEPHILIM....KINGS OF THE SUN....

Now I realize alot of what and whom I mentioned flirt with the sleaze/glam sounds and have reared mention in other threads...but they have a tentacle in the roots rock sound, in my opinion.

Last edited by Shiney on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 2:50 pm

Lords of the New Church is roots rock???? Shocked

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 2:54 pm

Rank And File

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 3:34 pm

I have a Jason and the Scorchers disc that I picked up a few years ago for a buck. It was somewhat of a blind buy. I heard of them and had an idea of what they about, but never actually heard a note. It was a dollar well spent.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 3:37 pm

I saw them live right before they signed a major label deal. They blew the roof off. I also saw them jam with Georgia Satellites right after GS was signed. Tiny bar in Mufreesboro, TN. Hot, sweaty and loud. Great show!

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 4:13 pm

LOTNC are'nt really I guess...Hell, I don't even know what roots rock is...... Very Happy

I just know what I dig.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 4:34 pm

I always call LOTNC "gothic punk".

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 6:18 pm

Would you call the Four Horsemen roots rock? I really liked the first album by them.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 7:26 pm

One of my all-time favorites. A great drunken sing-a-long song.

Another roots rock band that I like a lot is Lucero.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 7:34 pm

Good call J......Green On Red are a great band......countrydelic!
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 7:42 pm

Shiney wrote:
LOTNC are'nt really I guess...Hell, I don't even know what roots rock is...... Very Happy

Shiney i get were your coming from with regard to the Lords.......there is that twangy spaghetti western Duane Eddy guitar and stray rockabilly to them......plus they play up that whole Gothic Western Cowboy Outlaw image.

Such a wonderfully f*cked up band that blurred the lines between disco, garage rock, new wave, punk, roots rock, goth, sleaze, heavy metal, glam etc etc etc.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 8:23 pm

I don't hear roots rock in The Lords at all.

I understand the inclusion of Fields of the Nephalim because of their penchant for spaghetti western instrumentation but I don't hear that at all in the Lords.

But I will agree that The Lords thoroughly blurred genres in their music. They are practically unclassifiable in my book.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 8:51 pm

Brian James' guitars had a definate rootsy Duane Eddy/Shadows/Surf/Rockabilly/Chuck Berry thing going on, particularly on the first record.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 8:55 pm

rattpoison wrote:
Brian James' guitars had a definate rootsy Duane Eddy/Shadows/Surf/Rockabilly/Chuck Berry thing going on, particularly on the first record.

If you say so.

Roots rock to me is Long Ryders, The Scorchers, even Hootie and the Blowfish. None of whom have anything remotely in common with Lords Of the New Church to my ears.

I'm willing to make all kinds of concessions to the genre game because it's so subjective but this one just crosses my line.

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 9:03 pm

I'm not afraid to kick my VP's arse!!! A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc 37951:

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 9:04 pm

It's just one of the many elements that make up the Lords sound......it's a roots rock sound more akin to the Cramps and Gun Club then say the Scorchers or Long Ryders (Who share the Lords penchant/obsession for 60's punk/garage/psych).......two bands that are top of the Roots Rock heap for me, but are in a different league to the one's mentioned in this thread.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 9:07 pm

What about DRIVIN' N' CRYIN'?

They are often labeled southern hard rock or something but there is alot of nodding to older country backwoodsy sounds there....

And I implore both of you to check out the following bands...sort of rootsy....in a strained through a still, backwoodsy sorta way

DEVIL IN A WOODPILE
WOODBOX GANG

and the almighty 16 HORSEPOWER!!! I think they'd be considered rootsy!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 9:11 pm

Shiney wrote:

and the almighty 16 HORSEPOWER!!! I think they'd be considered rootsy!

Most definately.....so rootsy i can hear the metal rusting and the wood rotting!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 9:57 pm

Thanks to this thread I have now discovered Jason and the Scorchers great band at least from the one song rattpoison throw on here, Shiney introduced to Beat Farmers another cool band, and I had forgotten how good Hoodoo Gurus were, it has been years since I have heard them.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 10:03 pm

I'm surprised you don't know of the Scorchers......but they don't call them the one the greatest lost bands of the 80's for nothing.

Here's them doing Dylan's "Absolutely Sweet Marie", one of thee best Dylan covers ever.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-cF40OWeak
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 10:13 pm

You shouldn't be surprised I missed them, I live in Florida, and bands like this got zero attention where I lived, no radio play, no major magazine coverage, and I am sure they all blew thru town but during the 80's I was big in my metal/punk phase, even if in reality these guys were alot more in common with punk ethics than some of bands I listened to were.

BTW very cool cover of a Dylan classic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc   A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Bit Of An 80's Roots Rock thread feat. various Dels, Scorchers, Ryders, Johnnys, Farmers etc
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next