Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The SRC -Scott Richard(son) Case

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

The SRC -Scott Richard(son) Case Empty
PostSubject: The SRC -Scott Richard(son) Case   The SRC -Scott Richard(son) Case Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 6:49 pm

The passing of former Stooge Ron Ashton reminded me of this band, as Ron was involved in a prior incarnatiuon of SRC, though I don't think he was ever actually a member.
The SRC was a Detroit band fronted by Scott Richardson (Scott Richard) who were active mostly in 68-69, and often cited as a counterpoint to The MC5. The SRC evolved from a dark psych band into a rock band, but their middle period was the most interesting. They played a sort of proto-power pop that at times reminds me very much of the pop that would later come out of Manchester UK circa 1990 (Stone Roses, Charletans, etc). The recent compilation "Black Sheep" is integral for anyone interested in the Detroit garage scene. Check out especially the songs "Checkmate" and "Up All Night" for classics of heavy pop. And the title cut "Black Sheep" is a dark keyboard psych essential.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: The SRC -Scott Richard(son) Case   The SRC -Scott Richard(son) Case Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 9:20 pm

You know i've always heard of them but never heard them. But the description has me......psychedelic proto-power pop! So i'm guessing their different then their noise terrorist neighbours of the time.

What about that other Detroit band.....SRB (Sonic's Rendezvous Band)?
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: The SRC -Scott Richard(son) Case   The SRC -Scott Richard(son) Case Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 10:43 pm

I thought SRB was more of an All Star band with a couple of famous shows, I'm not sure they ever recorded much.
But SRC was a longterm band with three albums. The compilation "Black Sheep" has their best power pop songs, even though it is polluted with a few of their early Psych flower pots too. They did have several great songs. They were poppier than some of the classic Detroit bands.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: The SRC -Scott Richard(son) Case   The SRC -Scott Richard(son) Case Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 5:33 am

No doubt will check out SRC.

SRB had enough live and studio material for some handy comps and even a 6 CD Box Set! City Slang is a good comp to get......and of course the song City Slang is one of thee greatest rock n' roll songs no one's heard.

Another overlooked part of the Detroit Rock jigsaw puzzle is New Race, quite a super group. Ron Asheton (Stooges), Dennis Thompson (MC5) and Deniz Tek, Rob Younger and Warwick Gilbert all of Radio Birdman (Basically a Detroit band that is somehow Australian.....Deniz is a Detroit native though). They did a tour of Oz in '81 and the resultant live record The First And Last is a firecracker of record......and i'm not usually enthusiastic about live albums.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The SRC -Scott Richard(son) Case   The SRC -Scott Richard(son) Case Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The SRC -Scott Richard(son) Case
Page 1 of 1