Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Question About Angus Young

Go down 
+3
Fat Freddy
manny
MetalGuy71
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

A Question About Angus Young Empty
PostSubject: A Question About Angus Young   A Question About Angus Young Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 1:17 pm

After seeing AC/DC live once again, I was reminded at what a great guitarist Angus actually is. Which made me think...

Has Angus every done anything outside of AC/DC? Guest appearances on other albums? Walked on stage to jam with other bands? Played on a tribute album? Anything?

It seems to me that Angus, as well as the other members of the band, pretty much drop off the planet when they aren't on tour. I read on occasion that Brian Johnson has some half-arsed projects, but the rest of the guys are MIA. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but in all that down time between Stiff Upper Lip and Black Ice, what was Angus doing?

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Angus Young   A Question About Angus Young Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 1:31 pm

Angus and Malcolm have since 1974 recorded almost exclusively with AC/DC. I know they appeared on few sessions for a few bands that their brother George Young produced in the early 70's but for the life I can't recall who, but the info is in AC/DC biography called "Maximum Rock N Roll". Cliff Williams did appear on few sessions in the 80's, he played bassline on " I want my Heavy Metal" for Adam Bomb.

Brian Johnson has produced demos for some Florida acts and has been working on an opera about Helen of Troy for the last few years, that is all I got.

Of course AC/DC has been busy overseeing the re-release of their discography and putting together a few DVDs.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Angus Young   A Question About Angus Young Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 1:32 pm

Brian Johson also did a guest appearance on a song by Jackyl about ten years ago, if memory serves.

But I think MG's right, Angus has never appeared on anything outside of the AC/DC camp.

Who knows, maybe in his free time between AC/DC albums he makes industrial/techno/gabber records under an assumed name.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Angus Young   A Question About Angus Young Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 1:41 pm

why would he want to do anything outside of ac/dc?

it's his certified cash-cow.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Angus Young   A Question About Angus Young Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 1:43 pm

sam wrote:

Good point. It's not like he HAS to do anything outside of AC/DC. He's gotta have a pretty good life when you think about it ... AC/DC only makes a new record what, every five or six years on average? So he makes a record, tours the world, doinks lots of groupies, drinnks lots of beer and rocks out for a year, then goes home and sits on his ass for a couple of years before doing it all over again. I wouldn't mind living like that. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Angus Young   A Question About Angus Young Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 1:58 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
sam wrote:

Good point. It's not like he HAS to do anything outside of AC/DC. He's gotta have a pretty good life when you think about it ... AC/DC only makes a new record what, every five or six years on average? So he makes a record, tours the world, doinks lots of groupies, drinnks lots of beer and rocks out for a year, then goes home and sits on his ass for a couple of years before doing it all over again. I wouldn't mind living like that. Laughing

sounds just about perfect to me.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Angus Young   A Question About Angus Young Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 2:28 pm

sam wrote:

I'm not even talking about making money. Look at someone like Joe Perry of Aerosmith. Joe's got his Aero-money, but he's put out solo albums, played on benefit albums, occasionally gets up on stage to jam with other musicians, makes a tasty hot-sauce, etc. Just for sh*ts & giggles.

You never hear that about Angus. Don't get me wrong. If he justs sits in a pub all day, thinking of riffs, more power to him. Nothing wrong with that either. I just thought it was weird that you never hear of "outside projects" for the legendary guitarist.

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Angus Young   A Question About Angus Young Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 6:37 pm

Johnson had some solo songs on a soundtrack this year. I posted them ages ago. In one, he sings in a low, clean voice. Weird.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Angus Young   A Question About Angus Young Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 6:42 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
sam wrote:

I'm not even talking about making money. Look at someone like Joe Perry of Aerosmith. Joe's got his Aero-money, but he's put out solo albums, played on benefit albums, occasionally gets up on stage to jam with other musicians, makes a tasty hot-sauce, etc. Just for sh*ts & giggles.

You never hear that about Angus. Don't get me wrong. If he justs sits in a pub all day, thinking of riffs, more power to him. Nothing wrong with that either. I just thought it was weird that you never hear of "outside projects" for the legendary guitarist.

maybe he thinks anything other then ac/dc is below him, the "great mastermind of ac/dc."

or maybe he's just lazy. Razz
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Angus Young   A Question About Angus Young Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 7:21 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
After seeing AC/DC live once again, I was reminded at what a great guitarist Angus actually is. Which made me think...

Has Angus every done anything outside of AC/DC? Guest appearances on other albums? Walked on stage to jam with other bands? Played on a tribute album? Anything?

It seems to me that Angus, as well as the other members of the band, pretty much drop off the planet when they aren't on tour. I read on occasion that Brian Johnson has some half-arsed projects, but the rest of the guys are MIA. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but in all that down time between Stiff Upper Lip and Black Ice, what was Angus doing?

Angus is no shredder. he plays your basic blues rock. As far as making guest appearances imo bands go for more gunslingers.
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Angus Young   A Question About Angus Young Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 8:19 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3WgK3IPla4 Does this count?
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Angus Young   A Question About Angus Young Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 9:03 am

The Rolling Stones appearance is the only thing Ive every seen of Angus outside of Ac/Dc.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Angus Young   A Question About Angus Young Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 9:52 am

metalken wrote:

Absolutely!! That was very cool. Any idea when or where that was recorded?

Quote :
Angus is no shredder. he plays your basic blues rock. As far as making guest appearances imo bands go for more gunslingers.

That's just a ridiculous statement right there. Putting aside Angus' playing style, the man is a legend in the business. I'm sure there are plenty of bands out there that would give up a left nut to have Angus lay down a solo on their album.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Angus Young   A Question About Angus Young Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 9:58 am

Angus Young is a great guitartist just because he does not play like Van Halen or Yngwie doesnot make him any less talented. I am sure there are number of bands who would love for Angus to play the triangle just for the honor having him appear on their album.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Angus Young   A Question About Angus Young Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 4:39 pm

manny wrote:
Angus Young is a great guitartist just because he does not play like Van Halen or Yngwie doesnot make him any less talented. I am sure there are number of bands who would love for Angus to play the triangle just for the honor having him appear on their album.

Angus is a great guitar player...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Angus Young   A Question About Angus Young Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
metalken wrote:

Absolutely!! That was very cool. Any idea when or where that was recorded?

Quote :

That's just a ridiculous statement right there. Putting aside Angus' playing style, the man is a legend in the business. I'm sure there are plenty of bands out there that would give up a left nut to have Angus lay down a solo on their album.

To answer your question this took place in Canada in 2003, at a benefit show where the Rolling Stones,AC/DC, Rush, and Justin Timberlake performed at. It is available on DVD and it is called Toronto Rocks.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Angus Young   A Question About Angus Young Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 9:56 am

Quote :
Rolling Stones,AC/DC, Rush, and Justin Timberlake

Anyone remember the old Sesame Street song?
"One of these things is not like the other. Can you tell me which one?"

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Angus Young   A Question About Angus Young Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Question About Angus Young
Page 1 of 1