Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MOTT THE HOOPLE

Go down 
+2
manny
DeathCult
6 posters

Favorite album(s)
Mott The Hoople
MOTT THE HOOPLE Vote_lcap0%MOTT THE HOOPLE Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Mad Shadows
 0% [ 0 ]
Wildlife
 0% [ 0 ]
Brain Capers
 0% [ 0 ]
All The Young Dudes
MOTT THE HOOPLE Vote_lcap50%MOTT THE HOOPLE Vote_rcap
 50% [ 1 ]
Mott
MOTT THE HOOPLE Vote_lcap50%MOTT THE HOOPLE Vote_rcap
 50% [ 1 ]
The Hoople
 0% [ 0 ]
Live
 0% [ 0 ]
Drive On
 0% [ 0 ]
Shouting And Pointing
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

AuthorMessage
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

MOTT THE HOOPLE Empty
PostSubject: MOTT THE HOOPLE   MOTT THE HOOPLE Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 9:38 pm

MOTT THE HOOPLE P07240l2mi0

One of the most important bands to come out of Britan (well to me anyway) and not to mention one of the most influential. If you dont have an album, get one now

What allmusic says about them:
Mott the Hoople are one of the great also-rans in the history of rock & roll. Though Mott scored a number of album rock hits in the early '70s, the band never quite broke through into the mainstream. Nevertheless, their nasty fusion of heavy metal, glam rock, and Bob Dylan's sneering hipster cynicism provided the groundwork for many British punk bands, most notably the Clash. At the center of Mott the Hoople was lead vocalist/pianist Ian Hunter, a late addition to the band who developed into its focal point as his songwriting grew. Hunter was able to subvert rock & roll conventions with his lyrics, and the band — led by guitarist Mick Ralphs — had a tough, muscular sound that kept the group firmly in hard rock territory, even when flirting with homosexual imagery and glammy makeup. However, their lack of success meant that they inevitably splintered apart in the '70s, with Ralphs forming Bad Company and Hunter launching a cult solo career.

Mick Ralphs (lead guitar, vocal), Verden Allen (organ), Overend Pete Watts (bass), and Dale "Buffin" Griffin (drums) formed Silence in 1968 and began playing around their hometown of Hereford, England. Early in 1969, the band added vocalist Stan Tippens and landed a record contract with Island (Atlantic in the U.S.), heading to London to record with producer Guy Stevens, whose first move was to change the band's name to Mott the Hoople, after a Willard Manus novel. By the summer, Tippens was fired, later becoming the band's road manager, and was replaced by Ian Hunter. Mott the Hoople's eponymous debut album was released in the fall of 1969 and it became an underground hit, known for its fusion of Blonde on Blonde-era Dylan and heavy metal, as well for its straight cover of Sonny Bono's "Laugh at Me" and its pounding instrumental version of the Kinks' "You Really Got Me."

Despite all of the attention, Mott the Hoople received, it didn't sell well and neither did its poorly reviewed 1970 follow-up, Mad Shadows. The band returned in 1971 with the country-tinged Wildlife, which was its least popular record to date. Despite their lack of sales, Mott the Hoople had gained a cult following in Britain through their constant touring. At a concert at the Royal Albert Hall in July 1971, the band sparked a mini-riot that led the venue to ban rock concerts for a number of years. More than any of their previous releases, Brain Capers (1971) demonstrated the band's live power, but when it failed to sell, the group was prepared to disband.

Just as the band was about to split, David Bowie intervened and convinced the group to stay together. Riding at the height of his Ziggy Stardust popularity, Bowie agreed to produce Mott's next album and offered "Suffragette City" for the bandmembers to record. They refused the song, asking for "Drive-In Saturday" instead. They eventually settled for "All the Young Dudes," which became the group's breakthrough hit. An explicitly merry anthem recorded by a heterosexual band, "All the Young Dudes" became the anthem for the glam rock era, becoming a number three hit in the U.K. and a Top 40 hit in the U.S. in the summer of 1972. An album of the same name was released on Columbia Records in the fall, and it became a hit in the U.K. and the U.S.

Allen left the band before the recording of the group's follow-up to All the Young Dudes, citing Hunter's reluctance to record his songs. A concept album about a rock band struggling for success, Mott, released in the summer 1973, expanded the band's success, receiving good reviews and peaking at number seven in Britain and number 35 in America. "All the Way from Memphis" and "Roll Away the Stone" became Top Ten hits in the U.K., confirming the band's status as one of the leaders of the glam rock movement. In the summer of 1974, Hunter published Diary of a Rock Star to great acclaim in the U.K.

While the bandmembers were finally experiencing the success that they had desired, the group was beginning to fall apart. Frustrated with Allen's departure, as well as the fact that his song "Can't Get Enough" was out of Hunter's range, Ralphs left Mott in late 1973 to form Bad Company with Paul Rodgers. He was replaced by former Spooky Tooth guitarist Luther Grosvenor, who changed his name to Ariel Bender upon joining the band; keyboardist Morgan Fisher also joined the group. The new lineup toured in late 1973, and the concerts were documented on 1974's Mott the Hoople Live. The live record was released after The Hoople appeared in the spring, peaking at 11 in the U.K. and 28 in the U.S. on the strength of the singles "The Golden Age of Rock & Roll" and "Foxy Foxy." Former Bowie guitarist Mick Ronson replaced Bender in the fall of 1974 upon Hunter's request. Within a few months, the pair left the band to begin working as a duo. The remaining members of Mott the Hoople added guitarist Ray Major and vocalist Nigel Benjamin, truncating their name to Mott. The new incarnation of the group released Drive On (1975) and Shouting and Pointing (1976) to little attention before adding John Fiddler as their lead singer and changing their name to British Lions. They split up two years later.

Though the allegiance between Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson was short-lived, it was well-received and the two would continue to sporadically work together until Ronson's death in 1993. Hunter pursued a moderately successful solo career, highlighted by his eponymous 1975 album and 1979's You're Never Alone With a Schizophrenic. Hunter's "Ships" was covered by Barry Manilow in 1975, while Great White took his "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" into the Top Ten in the early '90s.

Last edited by DeathCult on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

MOTT THE HOOPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOTT THE HOOPLE   MOTT THE HOOPLE Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 9:43 pm

Mott the Hopple was a great band, Ian Hunter along with Ray Davis of the Kinks is one of greatest songwriters ever produced by the Brits. "Golden Age of Rock N Roll" "All the Way From Memphis" " Saturday Gigs" all great songs and all have very British sense of humor about them.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

MOTT THE HOOPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOTT THE HOOPLE   MOTT THE HOOPLE Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 9:44 pm

And in response the what RP said in another thread. Brain Capers to me at least is my favorite album, if not their best, alot of emotion and frustrated captured in it, the set out to make it or break it with that one, and it really shows, making it a very strong album.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

MOTT THE HOOPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOTT THE HOOPLE   MOTT THE HOOPLE Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 2:12 am

For me it's Mad Shadows. I like "Thunderbuck Ram". But to be honest (as I say elsewhere), I really like the Drive On era of "Nott The Hoople".
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

MOTT THE HOOPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOTT THE HOOPLE   MOTT THE HOOPLE Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 12:23 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
For me it's Mad Shadows. I like "Thunderbuck Ram". But to be honest (as I say elsewhere), I really like the Drive On era of "Nott The Hoople".

Mad Shadows is in a tie for me as a personal favorite with Brain Capers.

I also love the two albums just as Mott as well SAHB, so great rockers on those Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

MOTT THE HOOPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOTT THE HOOPLE   MOTT THE HOOPLE Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 7:03 pm

Which of those post Ian Hunter albums do you prefer SAHB?
Back to top Go down
criss3o
Metal student
Metal student
criss3o

Number of posts : 176

MOTT THE HOOPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOTT THE HOOPLE   MOTT THE HOOPLE Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 10:59 pm

I am a big fan of Mott the Hoople and Ian Hunter! My favs from each are Mott and You're Never Alone With a Schizophrenic!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

MOTT THE HOOPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOTT THE HOOPLE   MOTT THE HOOPLE Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 10:19 am

The mega-legendary Mott The Hoople have announced a pair of reunion shows to celebrate their 40th anniversary.
The concerts, which are being billed as ‘the return of one of the best loved rock’n'roll bands of all time’, are at London’s Hammersmith Apollo on October 2 and 3.
These will be momentous occasions for the following reasons:
* 40 years since the highly influential Mott The Hoople formed in 1969
* The first time the original line-up has played together for over 35 years
* Mott The Hoople return to The Hammersmith Apollo – scene of near riots following their shows in ’73 and recorded for the legendary ‘Mott The Hoople Live’ album
Formed in 1969 when Ian Hunter joined Verden Allen, Dale Griffin, Overend Watts and Mick Ralphs, Mott The Hoople released their eponymous debut album that same year.
By 1971 they were selling out and trashing the Albert Hall – rock bands were banned for years afterwards – but just 12 months later, after on-stage punches and insults were thrown, Mott The Hoople were ready to quit.
They stayed together thanks to longtime fan, David Bowie. He gave them ‘All The Young Dudes’ the first of a string of hits including the Ian Hunter-penned songs ‘Roll Away The Stone’, ‘All The Way From Memphis’, ‘Honaloochie Boogie’ and ‘The Golden Age of Rock ‘n’ Roll’. Despite the success and accolades, Mott The Hoople’s demise was surely inevitable and by 1974 the band had split.
It is fitting that the 2009 shows are at Hammersmith Apollo – this is where one side of the famous ‘Mott The Hoople Live’ album was recorded in 1973 and was the venue they had to play twice in one day to satisfy ticket demand, the second show ending in near riot when the curtain came down on their final encore.
The other side of this legendary album was recorded during Mott’s week-long residency at the Uris Theatre on Broadway, the first time New York theatreland had played host to a rock band; support on these shows came from the little known Queen.
Who knows what will happen this time but these are sure to be historic gigs.
In an era of band reformations, it will be still be shocking to their legions of fans that Mott The Hoople have decided to reform, with their original line-up, to celebrate their 40th Anniversary. Shocking but thrilling to fans who include Primal Scream, Morrissey, The Clash, REM, Queen, Blur and more..
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

MOTT THE HOOPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOTT THE HOOPLE   MOTT THE HOOPLE Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 11:17 am

Damnit, the concert Ive been waiting for for years, and Ill never get to go to it lol!
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

MOTT THE HOOPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOTT THE HOOPLE   MOTT THE HOOPLE Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 2:55 pm

although, I think Im going to do everything in my power to try to go to this.
Back to top Go down

MOTT THE HOOPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOTT THE HOOPLE   MOTT THE HOOPLE Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 2:56 pm

DeathCult wrote:

Start swimming.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

MOTT THE HOOPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOTT THE HOOPLE   MOTT THE HOOPLE Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 3:06 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

Start swimming.

Or re-sell that Born Again collection to pay for a ticket. MOTT THE HOOPLE 337331

DeathCult

MOTT THE HOOPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOTT THE HOOPLE   MOTT THE HOOPLE Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 4:28 pm

Pfft, I just looked up about how much it would cost, unless I hit the lottery, its not happening Sad
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

MOTT THE HOOPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOTT THE HOOPLE   MOTT THE HOOPLE Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 4:32 pm

Also, can an admin fix the poll on this thread? lol!
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

MOTT THE HOOPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOTT THE HOOPLE   MOTT THE HOOPLE Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 10:46 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

Start swimming.

Thats my next idea. Wish I had kids, Id sell em into slavery. lol!
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

MOTT THE HOOPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOTT THE HOOPLE   MOTT THE HOOPLE Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 11:57 pm

Speaking of Mott you should check out the Dogs D'amour thread down below.......also a little band called the Crybabys that is mentioned in that thread that would warm the heart of an Hunter/Mott fan.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MOTT THE HOOPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOTT THE HOOPLE   MOTT THE HOOPLE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MOTT THE HOOPLE
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: