Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Critic

Go down 
+5
Leatherface
Fat Freddy
mc666
skullsmasher
DallasBlack
9 posters
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

The Critic Empty
PostSubject: The Critic   The Critic Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 10:48 am

Probably one of my favorite animated sitcoms ever. Jay Sherman was such a loveable pathetic loser (I always felt sorry for him) and the other characters were priceless. I have the entire series on DVD and have watched it at least 10 times now. I could quote that show all day, and it is a big shame that it ended too soon. Any other fans?

Some of my favorite quotes:

Franklin Sherman: I was a model prisoner. Modeled lengerie mostly.

Jeremey Hawk: Waiter! There's an old ladie's stocking in my soup!
Vlada: She's not so old! I..mean...a that's a noodle.

Arnold Schwarzenegger: If the movie stinks, just Don't Go. What am I saying!

Franklin Sherman: Speaking as the first black female head of the Klu Klux Klan, I must say America stinks!!!

Jay Sherman: I did it, I'm a doc! A happy snezzy doc! (Yawn!!!) I'm a sleepy happy sneezy doc. If I don't get to bed, I'll be a grumpy, dopey, sleepy, happy, sneezy doc....Bashful?

Don King: Hey, pope! How about this: You and the Dali Lama, 15 rounds at Ceaser's Palace.
The Pope: He doesn't have a prayer!

Duke Phillips: Hey John Paul! How's Ringo?
The Pope: I'm so sick of that joke.

Duke Phillips: I can do whatever the hell I wan't. If I want Citizen Cane's last word to be swing, it's going to be swing. I'm a God I tell you, a Goo..ack! (falls to the floor) Rosebud. I mean swing!

Franklin Sherman: Now son (holding a barbie doll and a stuffed fat little pig), I found the perfect woman for you. Her names Barbie and she's from Malibu. Now she has a boyfriend Ken, but he's not much of a man. I checked.

Geraldo: I understand you can say your name backwards.
Franklin Sherman: Nilknarf!
Geraldo: What's your favorite food?
Franklin: Nilknarf!

Caretaker: They have a horribly deformed child they keep locked up in the basement. Look!
Geraldo: Thats a bag of potatoes.
Caretaker: But he's got a little t-shirt with his name on it. Atp!
Geraldo: Thats A&P!

Make-up man: How do you keep so young Mrs. Sherman?
Elenor Shrman: I scrb my face vigorously with a steel whool pad everyday. Then I stick my face in boiling water for exactly 5 minutes. Then I pour the contents into a big pot and serve it to the boys in the boathouse.
Sailor: Arg! Hagface soup!

Orson Wells: Rosebud... yes, Rosebud frozen peas. Full of country goodness and green peaness. That's disgusting, I quit. Just a handful for the road. Oh, what luck! There's a french fry stuck in my beard!

Jay Sherman: Do you know what those cigaretts are doing to you body?
Doris: Yeah, they're holding it together.

Jay Sherman: What's that sulfur smell coming from the egg bin? Ah it must mean the eggs have ripened. Wait a minute! Eggs don't ripen! Eggs don't ripen!

Franklin Sherman: Son, I'm going to run for Vice President. And I'm going to be honest with the American people, I'm not going to wear this toupee anymore! (rips hair off the top of his head)
Jay Sherman: Dad, you don't wear a toupee.
Franklin Sherman: I will from now on.

Dressmaker: We dressmakers have a very strict code, so I need to know. Do you deserve to wear virginial white? Because if you don't, you'll have to wear an off white, what we call a "hussy white". So which will it be? White white?
Margo Sherman: Yes... um, except for the gloves.

Jeremey Hawk: Bubbie, never marry an actress. And never do blackface at the NAACP Image Awards... two things I've learned from experience.

Elenor Sherman: Franklin, my life feels like an endless grey corridor.
Franklin Sherman: I've been there too. Usually there's a midget making googly eyes at me. I call him Mr. Picolini.

Jean Paul LePope: In my next film, Joe Piscopo and I play Siamese twins joined at the tongues. It's called [gagging] Part 2.

Jay Sherman: You don't think I'm merry do you?
Doris: No man in his right mind would sleep with you.
Jay Sherman: Thank you.

Doris: Jay, it's Doris. I'm at the morgue. Can you come down and tell them I'm not dead? They don't believe me!

Duke Phillips: I promise you zombies more raw flesh than any president since Roosevelt! Doris, what are you doing here?
Doris: Looking for a husband.

Doris: I'm from Alabama
Duke Phillips: Mobile?
Doris: Just barely

Doris: I told you, I'm from Alabama.
Duke Phillips: Tuscaloosa?
Doris: No, I use Denture Grip

Doris: Duke, I've loved you for years. Every 5 minutes I have have a hot fantasy of you.
Duke Phillips: Uh, I gotta take this elevator
Doris: That's just an empty shaft!
Duke Phillips: It's quicker!

Jay Sherman: You are an insipid walking commercial, and your cereal turned my urine pink!
Humphrey Hippo: But you have to eat six bowls for that to happen.
Jay Sherma: Yes, and gallon of chocalate milk, thats not the point.

As I said I could quote this all day but this is more than enough (too much probably, but I started and couldn't stop.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

The Critic Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Critic   The Critic Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 11:00 am

Ok a few more (sorry I love this show):

Elenor Sherman: At first we thought Jay was a monkey. His origional name was Mr. Bipp

Elenor Sherman: This is the origional Shermometer. Jay always wanted me to take his temperature, even when he wasn't sick! He'd come into the room and shake his little fanny saying, "Take my temperature mommy! Take my temperature!"

baby Jay: Mamma! Mamma?!
Elenor Sherma: I'm supposed to feed him with my what!? I don't even know this person!

Franklin Sherman: I have a confession to make, when Jay was a baby I dropped him on his head. I mean for a whole day!
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

The Critic Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Critic   The Critic Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 11:44 am

Funny show, I used to watch it all the time before it was cancelled.
Did you see Jay's guest appearance on the Simpson's a few years ago. He had to suffer the wrath of Patty and Selma due to a remark he made about McGyver. Very funny stuff, I still watch it every now and then in re-runs
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

The Critic Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Critic   The Critic Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 1:11 pm

i totally forgot about this show. it was humorous enough, i just hadn't thought about it in a long time.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

The Critic Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Critic   The Critic Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 1:47 pm

I loved this show. Last year I attended a speaking engagement by Mike Reiss, who was the creator of "The Critic" (he's also a head writer on "The Simpsons") and he showed some of his favorite video clips from this show during his presentation. I believe his all time favorite "Critic" bit was the "Lion King" parody, "Howard Stern as the Cockroach King" ("hey baby, show me your thorax")

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18924

The Critic Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Critic   The Critic Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 11:14 pm

I liked that show. I wish Comedy Central would start showing it again. That and Duckman.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

The Critic Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Critic   The Critic Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 4:53 pm

If anyone gets the REELZ channel on cable, the show is still on everyday. I love that show. It's a tad out of date, but it's awesome.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

The Critic Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Critic   The Critic Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 4:37 pm

I just remembered something else that Mike Reiss told us about "The Critic" when I saw him last year -- when ABC decided to cancel the show, the reason he was given was "Well, your show leads into 'Home Improvement,' and we're afraid it'll tarnish Tim Allen's image."

His response was "Tim Allen is a convicted cocaine dealer who spent a couple of years in federal prison (which is true, look it up), and HE's worried about MY stupid show tarnishing his reputation!?"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

The Critic Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Critic   The Critic Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 10:03 pm

Thanks for the memories Dallas. That was a great show!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28436

The Critic Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Critic   The Critic Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 3:05 pm

A Star is Burns is one of my favorite Simpsons episodes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

The Critic Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Critic   The Critic Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 3:28 pm

Good show, was one of my favorites right next to Beavis & Butt-Head and The Simpsons
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

The Critic Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Critic   The Critic Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 6:42 pm

skullsmasher wrote:
Funny show, I used to watch it all the time before it was cancelled.
Did you see Jay's guest appearance on the Simpson's a few years ago. He had to suffer the wrath of Patty and Selma due to a remark he made about McGyver. Very funny stuff, I still watch it every now and then in re-runs

Jon Lovitz (voice of Jay Sherman) has done numerous voice appearances on the Simpsons as well. He's been Artie Ziff (Marge's prom date), the Greek guy who runs the nuclear plant in Shelbyville, Marge's art teacher, and probably one or two others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

There was an episode a few seasons back where Artie Ziff made an "Indecent Proposal" style offer to Homer (he offered Homer a million dollars to let him sleep with Marge) and when Homer took him to Moe's to talk it over, all the other characters Lovitz had voiced (including the Critic!) were sitting at the bar. Homer goes "Hey, everybody, I want you to meet Artie Ziff," they all turn around and go "HELLLLOOOOOO, HANDSOME!" and Artie mutters "Pfft, losers." Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

The Critic Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Critic   The Critic Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 2:52 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
There was an episode a few seasons back where Artie Ziff made an "Indecent Proposal" style offer to Homer (he offered Homer a million dollars to let him sleep with Marge) and when Homer took him to Moe's to talk it over, all the other characters Lovitz had voiced (including the Critic!) were sitting at the bar. Homer goes "Hey, everybody, I want you to meet Artie Ziff," they all turn around and go "HELLLLOOOOOO, HANDSOME!" and Artie mutters "Pfft, losers." Laughing very hard

Laughing very hard I have GOT to see that episode sometime.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Critic Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Critic   The Critic Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Critic
Page 1 of 1