Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores

Go down 
+15
the sentinel
Schbopo
sam
skullsmasher
Hamer12
Metal Misfit
Troublezone
DeathCult
tohostudios
manny
A Handful of Wayne
thejokeriv
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Empty
PostSubject: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 11:29 am

Circuit City closing 155 stores

Circuit City says it's closing about 20 percent of its U.S. stores in an effort to return the nation's second-largest consumer electronics retailer to profitability.

The Richmond, Va.-based company said Monday it will shutter 155 of its more than 700 stores in 12 markets by Dec. 31, laying off thousands of employees.
Circuit City has had only one profitable quarter in the past year, posting a wider second-quarter loss in September with a 13.3 percent decline in sales at stores open at least a year. Its results have weakened amid a deteriorating retail environment and heightened competition from rival Best Buy Co. and others.
The company is reviewing its operations while exploring strategic alternatives.

Haven't set foot in a Circuit City in years, although that is where I purchased my very 1st cd player way back in the early 90's. Anyone shop there for music? Is the selection any good?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 11:30 am

I didn't even know Circuit City sold CDs. Shocked

If any of the ones near me are shutting down, it might be worth taking a drive to see if I can do some CD dumpster divin' before the doors close!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 11:40 am

Alot of people think Best Buy's CD selection sucks. Times that suckage by 15 and voila! You have a Circuit City store.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 11:43 am

spectrefate wrote:
Alot of people think Best Buy's CD selection sucks. Times that suckage by 15 and voila! You have a Circuit City store.

...That bad huh?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 11:46 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

...That bad huh?

For hard rock/metal? Yep, it's that bad. Smile
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 11:53 am

Quote :
Alot of people think Best Buy's CD selection sucks. Times that suckage by 15 and voila! You have a Circuit City store

You are a word-smith! 🤘
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 12:08 pm

I was aware that they sold cd's because I'd read their circulars in the Sunday paper. I just figured they were pretty much on par with Best Buy as far a selection goes. But as Freddy stated, if they're closing my local store, I might see if I can scavage some cheap music, even if it's for trade bait.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 12:12 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I was aware that they sold cd's because I'd read their circulars in the Sunday paper. I just figured they were pretty much on par with Best Buy as far a selection goes. But as Freddy stated, if they're closing my local store, I might see if I can scavage some cheap music, even if it's for trade bait.

Probably worth checking out - but I wonder if they will just ship the inventory to another store, since they already paid for it instead of taking a loss to seel it off cheap
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 12:12 pm

Here's the list of store closings. Looks like the Pennsylvania stores are spared. Darn. I wanted to go dumpster diving.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/CC/455353003x0x245809/2BFAC9D9-6CEF-4027-9E51-1C635F42F7A7/110308%20Store%20Closing%20List.pd

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 12:15 pm

None of the C.C. stores in my area are closing either. The only two Jersey stores on the list are too far away to make it worth bothering with. Oh well. Would've been nice to profit from somebody's misery.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 12:18 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Probably worth checking out - but I wonder if they will just ship the inventory to another store, since they already paid for it instead of taking a loss to seel it off cheap

You're probably right. If the entire company was going under, like Tower Records, it would be a fire sale. I'm still pissed at myself for not taking greater advantage of that. Even though I spent around $150 bucks and got a ton of cd's, there were still plenty more that I should have purchased when I had the chance. I had a buddy that worked there at the time and he was literally marking cd's down to .25 cents on their last day of operation.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 12:21 pm

I missed the Tower Records sell-off altogether. There was only one Tower in my area and it was just far enough away that I could never find a hunk of time to go down there and start pickin' thru the leftovers. Which sucked because at one time I practically lived in that store, so it would've been nice to get hold of a few last souvenirs from them.

Gawd, I miss Tower Records. Sad

Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 12:56 pm

I saw this coming. This store totally blows. I always check what sales they have in their paper because sometimes they will have a little better of a deal than Best Buy but its very rare. Like this week Gears of War 2 comes out for XBOX on friday. They are giving away a XBOX reward point card so you can buy stuff online. Unless Best Buy has something better to give away with it then i'll be going to Circuit City.

I havent bought cds from there in years. When they first opened I would get stuff from there all the time because they pretty much had a lot of stuff. Over the years (just like everyone else) the selection has went to the crapper. Even Best Buy is the same way right now. I used to go there when cds would come out but their cd selection has been so weak (at least in mine) that I rarely ever shop there for cds anymore. You can tell that they are just pushing those cds more and more into extinction. This one Best Buy near my has them almost near the door so that could be a sign haha.

I have bought some dvds at circuit city that have been a lot cheaper than anywhere else but again that started to dwindle down too. The last time I went there was to pick up a nintendo Wii game House of the Dead. It was like $20. I looked all over for it asked someone to help me waited like 10 minutes for an answer and no one knew anything about it. I was like its in the damn paper and you even have it up on the sign thats right near the video games still no one knew so I was outta there and havent been back since. The store blows. I saw bring back THE WIZ!

BTW just checked out that list and they are closing mine store. YAY!!! get your lists ready! hahaha

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 1:01 pm

Circuit City and Best Buy used to have an ok CD selection but as Phoenix stated they are both crap now. Major CD chains in general have crappy selections, such as FYE for example, but than the stores aren't meant to cater to collector's or music lovers, but your average music fan who wants the lastest Britny Spears singal than someone who actually cares about music.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 1:39 pm

The only NC store closing is Charlotte...not close to me...

And FYE, Best Buy, CC, etc have decent Metal selections if you're looking for A) classics (Priest, Sabbath, Maiden, Metallica) and/or B) "popular" Metal labels like Metal Blade, Roadrunner, and some Century Media....but thats about it...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 1:53 pm

I've actually gotten some good deals on CDs at Circuit City.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 1:59 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
I saw this coming. This store totally blows. I always check what sales they have in their paper because sometimes they will have a little better of a deal than Best Buy but its very rare. Like this week Gears of War 2 comes out for XBOX on friday. They are giving away a XBOX reward point card so you can buy stuff online. Unless Best Buy has something better to give away with it then i'll be going to Circuit City.

I havent bought cds from there in years. When they first opened I would get stuff from there all the time because they pretty much had a lot of stuff. Over the years (just like everyone else) the selection has went to the crapper. Even Best Buy is the same way right now. I used to go there when cds would come out but their cd selection has been so weak (at least in mine) that I rarely ever shop there for cds anymore. You can tell that they are just pushing those cds more and more into extinction. This one Best Buy near my has them almost near the door so that could be a sign haha.

I have bought some dvds at circuit city that have been a lot cheaper than anywhere else but again that started to dwindle down too. The last time I went there was to pick up a nintendo Wii game House of the Dead. It was like $20. I looked all over for it asked someone to help me waited like 10 minutes for an answer and no one knew anything about it. I was like its in the damn paper and you even have it up on the sign thats right near the video games still no one knew so I was outta there and havent been back since. The store blows. I saw bring back THE WIZ!

BTW just checked out that list and they are closing mine store. YAY!!! get your lists ready! hahaha

Did The Wiz go out of business? When I lived in CT, I bought CDs there all the time; they had a great selection and cheap prices. Of course that was almost 15 years ago...

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 2:12 pm

Quote :
Did The Wiz go out of business? When I lived in CT, I bought CDs there all the time; they had a great selection and cheap prices. Of course that was almost 15 years ago...

I think they closed all of their physical stores and just exist on-line as a dot com now. Is that right?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 2:13 pm

The Wiz has been out of business for quite a while now. Which was a shame cuz they had one of the better music departments "back in the day" and decent prices.

Geez, no wonder I barely buy CDs anymore... I have nowhere left TO buy'em. Sad

Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 2:13 pm

Yea the Wiz has been closed for maybe close to 10 years now.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 2:40 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I missed the Tower Records sell-off altogether. There was only one Tower in my area and it was just far enough away that I could never find a hunk of time to go down there and start pickin' thru the leftovers. Which sucked because at one time I practically lived in that store, so it would've been nice to get hold of a few last souvenirs from them.

Gawd, I miss Tower Records. Sad

Thats what happened to me too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 3:40 pm

spectrefate wrote:

That's true now but five years ago i found some good stuff there.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 4:11 pm

CD selection at Circuit City has always been pretty slim. Mostly just new major releases and maybe a few older essentials.

Prices all over that store are way jacked up, no wonder they're closing 20%.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 4:25 pm

They suck. They can close all of them as far as I'm concerned.
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 1:54 pm

Back in the day I thought there was quite a bit to choose from in CC but as of the last several years I don't even walk over to the little row of pop and rap's latest releases when I go into the store. Best Buy has 10 times the selection and even there you really don't get anything too obscure. These days online shopping is about all a guy can do if they want something more than than the major releases and greatest hits packages. I used to love the little mom and pop stores that would bring in imports and the un-edited albums the selection was always way better, I could get lost for hours looking the racks of records now 10-15 minutes covers most everything in these stores.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores   Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Circuit City Closing 20% of it Stores
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next