Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New DISCIPLE

Go down 
+7
Stender
stevegarveyfan
akeldama
Thrasher73
XYZ
Tall Tyrion
ultmetal
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

New DISCIPLE - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 4:29 pm

MetalH wrote:
By God is a freakin' heavy album, and it's my favorite.

That is a good album. When By God came out it was the first time I'd heard of 'em. I want to see them play at Church On The Rock in ABQ, Junker Jorg opened for them. It was one of the best show I've ever been to, Brad played his arse off that night.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 4:40 pm

I'll have to break By God out. It's been a while but I don't really remember it being all that much heavier or better than This Might Sting.

Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 8:45 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I'll have to break By God out. It's been a while but I don't really remember it being all that much heavier or better than This Might Sting.

IMO I don't think it's quite as heavy. The first 10 songs or so are really good.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 10:05 pm

I would put By God slightly lower than This Might Sting, but not by much.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 3:23 am

ultmetal wrote:

Personally, this bugs me about many bands and is exactly the reason Christian music is years behind the times. Too worried about what is "acceptable" and where the trend are at. Why did you ever stop playing solos and being yourself?
I understand that Disciple are a full time band and it's their livelyhood. I also understand how trendy Christian music has to be in order to survive the fickle Christian market. I guess it just bugs me that bands are more concerned about what's going on in the "scene" than playing good music.

Thoughts on Disciple or my rant?
woah dude, what are you talking about!? lol!
First off on the subject of Disciple....don't care for them at all, even the early stuff, then after the first two....just copy cat alternative rock. And yes, I agree, pretty lame that now they are advertising solos??? LIke that's going to put them back on the metal map, who cares?

There are copy-cat bands in every market. Christian or secular, yes it irritates me. But I certainly don't label that a "Christian" problem. And I don't see how Christian music is years behind the times? What do you mean? Ultimatum is still making thrash (that melts!), which isn't exactly a new, groundbreaking genre, right? But if you guys decided to explore inserting more of a death style to your music or (god forbid) a breakdown/core influence....I woudn't say you were following a trend!!? I don't know, I see it on all sides. Every time I RARELY turn on a the secular hard rock station around here It's the same crap as last year and the year before and the year before that and the new stuff....sounds the same as that. You're SUCH an elitist!!!!! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 12:34 pm

I did not realize it when I was first at their myspace site, but apparently you can listen to the entire new album right there. Just click each song in the bandbox player. It plays the whole song not just a demo. It sounds like a pretty good album so far IMO, but I am not sure about there being a southern rock sound. There are solos though Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 6:03 pm

I didn't hear the "southern rock" thing either. Like I said, some people's definition of Southern rock and mine are quite different.

PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 6:37 pm

I just got " What was I thinking" and man for me that is the best album they ever did. I did not even know about that album till this thread so thanks guys Very Happy ! This one is my new favorite of theirs followed by "This Might Sting A Little" then "by God".

I need to play the new album a few more times to see if I really wanna buy it. It sounds good but it did not grab me, I might buy it anyway just add to my collection.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2008 6:46 pm

I lost a fair bit of interest in these guys when they changed their style. I do understand why they did it, but the music they made no longer inspired anything in me. I will check out the new stuff to see what direction they are going in, but I feel their best might be behind them. It's interesting how blatantly they refer to trends in their comments. It seems their musical direction really is inflenced by what is popular.

Stll gotta give them credit, for a Christian band they have done very well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2008 9:08 pm

Quote :
didn't hear the "southern rock" thing either. Like I said, some people's definition of Southern rock and mine are quite different.

Yeah, I don't get that either. People call The Showdown southern metal and I guess it just means location.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 7:08 pm

I have to rescind my earlier comment, after a week of listening to it I don't hear a southern rock influence either. I hear more bluesy solos but that's it.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 8:33 am

They are worried about their sound/image because they are worried about making $, Disciple is a cash cow for the CCM industry. I imagine "the machine" has a lot of say as to their sound/image.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
black halo
Metal novice
Metal novice
black halo

Number of posts : 15

PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 9:00 am

I still say Disciple is the best band in Christian Rock/Metal since the 80's. I'm also not jealous that their a cash cow.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 8:07 pm

black halo wrote:
I still say Disciple is the best band in Christian Rock/Metal since the 80's. I'm also not jealous that their a cash cow.

Their first lp was pretty good, but to say they are the best since the 80's goes far beyond mere ignorance or personal opinion, that's flat out stupid! insane
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband

PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 8:34 pm

I certainly enjoy many of Disciple's albums, mostly their early stuff, but they are not the best band out there. Anyone's best band is a matter of personal opinion. For me the best band out there is the one that I happen to be in the mood for that day. There are too many talents and different styles to have one all time best band.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New DISCIPLE
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2