Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What makes a cuss word a cuss word?

Go down 
+12
EvyMetal
Troublezone
ultmetal
tohostudios
the sentinel
thejokeriv
MetalRob331
stevegarveyfan
Schbopo
DeathCult
metalinmyveins
XYZ
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Empty
PostSubject: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 5:05 pm

Random I know, but we watched a documentary about the f-word in my intercultural communications class, and the question was raised in the movie. Who determines these? Why are they bad? The Bible says nothing about cussing. It only says not to use the Lord's name in vain. Why can't I say sh angry t? Will California fall off into the ocean if I do? It seems like a question a kid would ask, but I think it really makes you think as well.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 5:09 pm

More importantly, I would like to know the person that actually invented each and everyone of these words.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 5:17 pm

I want to know why Y is only sometimes a vowel. Who the hell decided that one?
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 5:22 pm

Let's face it, English is not the best of languages.
Back to top Go down
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 5:43 pm

I think that INTENTION makes up the largest portion of "what makes a cuss word a cuss word". If I am Austrian and use what we call the f-word, and I am simply telling you the name of a town in my area, I am not cussing.

The simple combination of letters in a certain sequence does not make a cuss word. It's the word itself combined with the heart/intention of the person saying it.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 6:44 pm

What if I say "F*** I don't know"? Is that cussing?
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 6:49 pm

Culture determines cuss words
Back to top Go down
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 9:33 pm

Although this is not the litmus test, it's a good place to start: If you feel even remotely guilty about saying, then steer clear of it. An intelligent person can think of a better way to phrase his ideas.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 9:35 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Culture determines cuss words

I agree.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 10:47 pm

Connotation, not simply denotation, makes a cuss word a cuss word. Peace.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 11:05 pm

Fascinating, NOW EXPLAIN THE DAMN Y!
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:07 am

Y, schmY.

I want to know who the hell decided a 'W' could be a vowel.

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:10 am

Quote :

Sh!t, I don't know.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:15 am

xyz wrote:
Random I know, but we watched a documentary about the f-word in my intercultural communications class, and the question was raised in the movie. Who determines these? Why are they bad? The Bible says nothing about cussing. It only says not to use the Lord's name in vain. Why can't I say sh angry t? Will California fall off into the ocean if I do? It seems like a question a kid would ask, but I think it really makes you think as well.

Actually the Bible does speak to this subject, although not directly. It does say that from the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks. If we are using language that is culturally considered crass and vile, then what does that say of the condition or our hearts?

As well, the Bible says that Christians are to refrain from crude talk. Ephesians 5:4 says we should refrain from, "obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking."

Quote :
Ephesians 5:4 Amplified Bible (AMP)

4. Let there be no filthiness (obscenity, indecency) nor foolish and sinful (silly and corrupt) talk, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting or becoming...

The Bible aside, I just think over use of expletives makes people sound unintelligent. The occasional use of certain words is not a big deal, but it's been my experience that those who cuss do so in excess.

A good example is when I saw Superjoint Ritual a few years ago. Phil Anselmo cussed so much he sounded like a complete moron. Brontotex and I counted some 40x he used the 'f' word in between two songs. How much time is that? A minute and a half or less? We were laughing at him because he sounded so incredibly ridiculous. "F**k! f**king f**kers, I am the f**king new metal god." This was phrase that actually came out of his mouth. I mean, c'mon, buy a dictionary and learn a new word!

I agree with thejokeriv, culture determines what words or gestures are considered improper. Really, what is the point of using words that are considered culturally offensive to the majority of people if it's not just to be offensive? I would never walk up to a small child and say, "what's up little f**ker?" Why? Because it's improper. I would never stand in front of a judge and say "F**k off". Why? You'll end up in contempt of court. I would never use the "F" word around my parents, even now when I am a grown man. Why? It's disrespectful.

I had to go to court once because a co-worker quit and sued the company claiming she "feared for her life" because of a heated exchange her and I had. (It's a long story.) One of the questions the judge asked me, "did you use any foul language in your exchange?" I answered, "No." The woman suing us agreed that I did not used any such language. The case was dismissed. Had I used a cuss word in our exchange, she may have won her case against me. (Apparently I'm a scary guy when I am angry).

I really see little need to use expletives over and over again. I'm not offended by cussing. There is obviously a time and place for everything. However, it's just a bad habit to get into.

Last edited by ultmetal on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:22 am

ultmetal wrote:

Actually the Bible does speak to this subject, although not directly. It does say that from the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks. If we are using language that is culturally considered crass and vile, they what does that say of the condition or our hearts?

As well, the Bible says that Christians are to refrain from crude talk. Ephesians 5:4 says we should refrain from, "obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking."

Quote :
Ephesians 5:4 Amplified Bible (AMP)

4. Let there be no filthiness (obscenity, indecency) nor foolish and sinful (silly and corrupt) talk, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting or becoming...

I forgot about that verse. Nice reference and good arguement. cool

Let me also add that I don't want to come off as if I were condoning swearing. I just thought it was interesting that certain words are looked down upon and wondered why that is.

Last edited by xyz on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:29 am

Thanks.

Another example I thought of was one of my partners at the gym. He's from NYC and had that NY attitude. Part of that is the language. He wouldn't even realize he was cussing half the time. It just became such a habit he didn't even notice he was using coarse language.

My teenage daughter started calling him on it. She would charge him $1 for every time he cussed. My partner would get called out and he would say, "I didn't cuss." We would respond, "yes you did, we all heard you." I mean, it was funny, but at the same time it proved a point. Using language like that can become such a habit you don't even realize you are doing it.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:33 am

Personally, I usually only swear when I'm by myself.

I agree, the inability to string together several sentences without swearing connotes either lack of creativity or intellegence. Or both.

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:35 am

tohostudios wrote:

I agree, the inability to string together several sentences without swearing connotes either lack of creativity or intellegence. Or both.

How about saying a sentence without saying "like"? Smile
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:36 am

Yeah, that's actually more annoying to me. But not as annoying as:

"know what I'm sayin'

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:37 am

And isn't anyone going to ask me what word has "W" for a vowel?

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 3:09 pm

The overuse of cuss words can be annoying and come across as unintelligent as ult mentioned. I know everyone slips up now and then but some curse like sailors and generally are disrespectful.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 3:41 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
More importantly, I would like to know the person that actually invented each and everyone of
these words.

A long time ago someone was walking barefoot and they stepped on a jaggy rock, and the first thing that came to mind to yell out was FU*K!! That's how it was invented.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 4:34 pm

I have been trying to stop cussing for a long time now. When i am away from my friends I can do it, but it seems like it depends who I am talking to that determines what comes out my mouth. Funny thing is when I say a cuss word i think in my head why did you just say that...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 7:08 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
I have been trying to stop cussing for a long time now. When i am away from my friends I can do it, but it seems like it depends who I am talking to that determines what comes out my mouth. Funny thing is when I say a cuss word i think in my head why did you just say that...

I can relate.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 7:29 pm

Quote :
Personally, I usually only swear when I'm by myself.

I
agree, the inability to string together several sentences without
swearing connotes either lack of creativity or intellegence. Or both.

I agree.

I don't mind the occasional "salty" word but over and over and over.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What makes a cuss word a cuss word?   What makes a cuss word a cuss word? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next