Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony

Go down 
+6
sam
manny
the sentinel
MetalGuy71
Lurideath
Metal Misfit
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Empty
PostSubject: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 1:08 pm

Does anyone know why EVH seems to dislike Michael so much and kicked him outta the band? I can't find anything about it. Even in the book "The Van Halen Saga", there's never an explanation (though an interesting nugget pointed out Eddie and Billy Sheehan once had loose talks about him replacing Michael back in the 80s). It just seems one day Eddie woke up and decided Michael wasn't worthy enough to be in Van Halen.

I know Eddie played most bass on III and all on their last hits comp. Does he just not like his playing? Did Eddie want him out so it would be one less partner to split profits with?

I used to think Michael's friendship with Sammy was the cause, but I don't believe that's the case if Eddie was already considering getting rid of Mike during the early (and peaceful) Hagar years.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 1:12 pm

I guess it's because Eddie and Sammy hate each other and due to the fact that Sammy and Michael are playing together that Eddie booted him out. Thats what I got out of it. Michael didn't even know he was kicked out and found out on the internet.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 1:22 pm

Lurideath wrote:
I guess it's because Eddie and Sammy hate each other and due to the fact that Sammy and Michael are playing together that Eddie booted him out. Thats what I got out of it. Michael didn't even know he was kicked out and found out on the internet.

That's kinda what I gathered as well. While the Van Halen brothers were sitting around with their thumbs up their asses, Michael Anthony played gigs with Sammy's solo band. Eddie (probably Alex as well) took that as an act of betrayal by implying that Michael was taking Sammy's side in their fued.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 1:29 pm

I agree with all these hypotheses and posit my own that it has something to do with money. Peace.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 1:38 pm

Ed has been quoted as saying: "He joined another band...you can't be in two bands."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 1:41 pm

Eddie is a paranoid freak. He's always afraid someone is trying to get their part of the Van Halen pie. Whether it be Valerie Bertanelli, Sammy Hagar or Michael Anthony, he seems to think anyone who gets to close to him has it out for him. I've heard his own brother can't stand him.

I still dig his music though.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 2:32 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Eddie is a paranoid freak. He's always afraid someone is trying to get their part of the Van Halen pie. Whether it be Valerie Bertanelli, Sammy Hagar or Michael Anthony, he seems to think anyone who gets to close to him has it out for him. I've heard his own brother can't stand him.

I still dig his music though.

Yeah, the Saga book is actually quite sad. The band is the focus, but you can see Eddie start as a nice, happy go lucky guy and then go into his downward spiral of frustration, bitterness and paranoia as the years go on.

What's the guy so angry about? He's a millionaire, he's one of the greatest guitar players ever, he's in one of the greatest bands ever, and he SURVIVED cancer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 2:52 pm

He and Hetfield should join up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 3:14 pm

Quote :
The band is the focus, but you can see Eddie start as a nice, happy go lucky guy and then go into his downward spiral of frustration, bitterness and paranoia as the years go on.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 3:23 pm

I have no idea what happened between Anthony and the Van Halen
brothers, and while I think Wolfgang is a very talented kid, a huge
part of the original line up's sound was Anthony's back around vocals,
his bass playing is solid and right in the pocket, nothing fancy, does
its job, but it was his back up vocals that are unreplaceable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 3:26 pm

manny wrote:

Agree 100%, nobody could duplicate those falsetto backing vocal parts, utterly core to their sound.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 5:35 pm

Edit: Look Below

Last edited by sam on Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 5:43 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :
The band is the focus, but you can see Eddie start as a nice, happy go lucky guy and then go into his downward spiral of frustration, bitterness and paranoia as the years go on.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug...

more movies at www.miloop.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 5:54 pm

detuned wrote:
manny wrote:

Agree 100%, nobody could duplicate those falsetto backing vocal parts, utterly core to their sound.

Yep, I'm curious as to what they sound like now without his voice in the background.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 7:09 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
detuned wrote:
manny wrote:

Yep, I'm curious as to what they sound like now without his voice in the background.

His voice is piped in now
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 10:18 am

Ed turned his back on Mike to give his son his 15 minutes.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 1:09 am

I see some about the $ comments, but I'm sure Mike is still getting paid. I mean his name is on alot of still in print VH records...
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 1:30 am

thejokeriv wrote:

His voice is piped in now

I hope you're kidding.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 7:25 am

The backing vocals on the last VH tour were new, pre-recorded tracks made specifically for the tour...they did not contain Michael Anthony's voice.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 10:09 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
The backing vocals on the last VH tour were new, pre-recorded tracks made specifically for the tour...they did not contain Michael Anthony's voice.

Someone told me they did - alot of bands still pipe in background tracks (Stryper is famous for this, Def Leppard, belive it or not, doesn't)
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 10:20 am

martinsane wrote:
I see some about the $ comments, but I'm sure Mike is still getting paid. I mean his name is on alot of still in print VH records...

Sadly he is not getting paid, before the tour they did with Sammy Hagar a few years ago, Michael Anthony agreed to sign away his rights to the merch sales, and any future claims, he does still get royalities for songwriting, publishing and album sales, but he doesnot get any for t shirt sales etc. As a matter a fact some of the early tshirts designed for this tour based on the early album covers had him airbrushed out.

The reason is that Michael Anthony agreed to this so he can take part on The Best of Both World tour that they did with Hagar, figuring this could be the final tour for Van Halen, and he didnot want to miss out on it, so the Van Halen brothers had made him agree to this agreement before the tour would move further. The tour made a lot of money but it still ended badly with the Van Halen brothers taking one bus and Hagar and Anthony another. All this info is taken from Ian Christie's Van Halen biography.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 11:09 am

Sounds like Eddie & Alex are about as bad as Gene & Paul when it comes to how they treat their ex-bandmates.

I hate that kind of back-stabbing crap.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 11:17 am

detuned wrote:
Sounds like Eddie & Alex are about as bad as Gene & Paul when it comes to how they treat their ex-bandmates.

I hate that kind of back-stabbing crap.

I hate it too, but at least Gene and Paul are outfront about their greed. I don't understand what they have against Michael Anthony he stuck with them thru all three line ups and I am sure if he had been invited he would have taken part on Van Halen reunion with DLR. The book "Everybody Wants Some" does not really give a clear answer what happened between the two camps.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 2:42 pm

manny wrote:
The book "Everybody Wants Some" does not really give a clear answer what happened between the two camps.

Sure doesn't. I just finished reading it 2 days ago. This is why I started this thread because there's really no mention of a turning point anywhere that I can find that says why Eddie doesn't want Mike in the band. Especially with Roth in the band. It's not a real reunion unless all four are there. Mikey not being on tour this past year *had* to have let a few tickets go unsold. Right now it's just 'Van Halen & Son featuring David Lee Roth'. Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 4:15 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Someone told me they did - alot of bands still pipe in background tracks (Stryper is famous for this, Def Leppard, belive it or not, doesn't)

Def Leppard is famous for backing tapes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony   Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Van Halen vs. Michael Anthony
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: