Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Southern Rock

Go down 
+11
skullsmasher
ultmetal
SAHB Healer
the sentinel
MetalGuy71
Schbopo
James B.
tohostudios
sam
Metal Misfit
manny
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 10:00 pm

Reading the thread on Hellya I saw the term Southern Rock thrown around
and maybe think of Southern Rock bands I listen to, it is a genre I
have mixed feelings about since some of the image of the Confederate
make me uncomfortable as a minor, but I do like alot of southern
rockers, my favorites are the usual suspects:
Lynyrd Skynyrd (only the original line up)
Molly Hatchet (Danny Joe Brown era)
Black Oak Arkansa
Black Foot
Down
Black Stone Cherry
anyone else a fan, I am sure I left off a lot of bands but thess are my favorites, anyone else a fan of this sub genre?
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 pm

Blackfoot is pretty good (well, at least Tomcattin' is, I haven't heard anything else). BSC wasn't really for me.

I'm not a big fan of the genre. It's okay if some bands wanna toss in a southern rock sounding song here and there on an album, but I don't think I could stomach a whole album of it.
Back to top Go down

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 11:41 pm

To me, that's southern rock. Bands like Down and Black Stone Cherry may have a little of that influence, but they're not southern rock in my book. But again, genres are lame.
Back to top Go down

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 12:47 am

As far as I'm concerned the only southern rock band of consequence is The Allman Brothers.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 9:52 am

love me some molly hatchet
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 10:53 am

I've seen more Southern Rock concerts than any other style. I've seen Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot. The Outlaws, 38 Special, Wet Willie and many more. One of my favorite rock genres; too bad there aren't many bands doing it these days.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12620

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 11:15 am

Marshal Tucker Band
Early Charlie Daniels was very similar to Duane era ABB
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 11:21 am

One of my favorite southern rock songs is Legend Of Woolly Swamp by CDB.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 11:22 am

Others:

Jason and the Scorchers
Steve Earle
Georgia Satellites
The Long Ryders

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 12:08 pm

Allman bros.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 7:07 pm

I like some songs by some of the groups listed, but I wouldn't classify myself as a fan of Southern Rock. One of the groups that was mentioned that I do like is Down, but I personally never thought of them in the same vein as Skynard or Hatchet or any of those guys.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 8:27 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I like some songs by some of the groups listed, but I wouldn't classify myself as a fan of Southern Rock. One of the groups that was mentioned that I do like is Down, but I personally never thought of them in the same vein as Skynard or Hatchet or any of those guys.

I always considered them more sludge/stoner then southern rock
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 8:56 pm

Green Grass and High Tides Forever!!!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 9:16 pm

sam wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I always considered them more sludge/stoner then southern rock

Yea, that sounds about right to me.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 12:22 am

In the mid 70's I used to pull in a radio show from Little Rock Arkansas called "Beaker Street"; with a DJ named Stuart. I think he was probably one of the people who created the classic rock format; and he played a lot of southern rock. Classic rock wasn't so canned then as it is now so there was some different stuff played.
Later I was a huge Blackfoot fan and I saw them open for The Who (!) as well as AC/DC on the Back In Black tour (!)
But now I find almost everything I listen to when I'm in a southern rock mood ends up being Texas boogie rather than authentic southern rock. I guess almost everywhere is south from Wisconsin. I dunno, where was Hydra from? They were a good band on Capricorn records. How 'bout Axe, where were they from?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 8:10 am

Axe isn't southern rock IMO.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 8:23 am

Love me some Southern Rock. Molly Hatchet are one of my all time favorite bands. I like all eras of Molly Hatchet, including the current incarnation of the band. They have put out four solid studio albums, plus a couple live albums, a DVD and an anniversary recording of some of the classic songs. John Galvin, Phil McCormick and Bobby Ingram have been keeping the music alive for decades and are great musicians and songwriters themselves. Of course Galvin and Ingram have been with Hatchet since the mid-1980's, plus Ingram was one of Danny Joe Brown's guitarists in the Danny Joe Brown Band. Also, for those interested, original and founding member of Molly Hatchet Dave Hlubeck is back with the band as well.

Other favorites:
Blackfoot
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Grinderswitch
Point Blank

Down are not Southern rock.

Black Stone Cherry are just generic modern rock and can hardly be called Southern rock either.

Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 9:40 am

I have always liked this genre of music too. Molly Hatchet and Blackfoot top the list for me but there are alot of other bands out there playing this type of music that I like too. I don't know if the confederate flag image associated with this type of music really represents anything more than the "Good 'ol Boy" attitude. I think it is more about whooping it up and drinkin' than anything too racist, just my opinion. I just like the tunes, could care less about the lifestyle associated with being a red neck that seems to follow this kind of music.

I was wondering if anyone has heard the Danny Joe Brown project. I saw this album in the stores back in the early 80s and never got around to picking it up, now it is pretty hard to find and I don't want to order it without knowing what to expect.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 11:29 am

skullsmasher wrote:
I have always liked this genre of music too. Molly Hatchet and Blackfoot top the list for me but there are alot of other bands out there playing this type of music that I like too. I don't know if the confederate flag image associated with this type of music really represents anything more than the "Good 'ol Boy" attitude. I think it is more about whooping it up and drinkin' than anything too racist, just my opinion. I just like the tunes, could care less about the lifestyle associated with being a red neck that seems to follow this kind of music.

I was wondering if anyone has heard the Danny Joe Brown project. I saw this album in the stores back in the early 80s and never got around to picking it up, now it is pretty hard to find and I don't want to order it without knowing what to expect.

The Danny Joe Brown Band CD has been reissued and sells for a more reasonable price now. If you like Molly Hatchet, you will like this CD. The song "Edge of Sundown" is worth the price of admission alone. Molly Hatchet use to play this song live as well. As a matter of fact, they still do.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 6:09 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Axe isn't southern rock IMO.

...but the Long Ryders and Jason & The Scorchers are! scratch
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 6:42 pm

Definitely. They might actually be closer to country rock.

Axe is just metal.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 7:11 pm

Just by geography Axe was from Florida and Hydra was Atlanta, as was Mother's Finest. But I agree that there is more to it that just that, and that's why I personlly would include a lot of Texas bands like Point Blank, Ultra, Alamo, Demain etc, and leave out Axe, LeRoux, Sugarcreek, White Witch, etc.
But Hydra fits on any score. It's strange that they never got big like a lot of the others did. A hard rocking band.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 7:15 pm

I love Leroux but they're definitely not southern rock.

One of my prized CDs is a Japanese copy of "Last Safe Place" that I got directly from Leon Medica himself. I sent a message to their web site never expecting a bandmember to answer. This CD came from his private stash.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 8:21 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I love Leroux but they're definitely not southern rock.

I agree, that that's what makes the label confusing. There were a lot of bands from the south that played mainstream rock, but also a lot of bands from all over the place that sounded "southern" to my midwestern ears. Hell, some of them were from the UK!
Anyway another band that should fit on any count was the ARS, although I don't have all their stuff.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 8:25 pm

Quote :
There were a lot of bands from the south that played mainstream rock, but also a lot of bands from all over the place that sounded "southern" to my midwestern ears. Hell, some of them were from the UK!

True. I always thought Bad Company should have been a southern rock band.

Southern Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Rock   Southern Rock Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Southern Rock
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: