Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Keith Relf's Armageddon

Go down 
+2
manny
SAHB Healer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Keith Relf's Armageddon Empty
PostSubject: Keith Relf's Armageddon   Keith Relf's Armageddon Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 2:15 am

The former Yardbird's one album stoner/prog band from 1975 that reminds me of Captain Beyond for some reason. Long driving trippy songs with several sections. Hypnotic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Keith Relf's Armageddon   Keith Relf's Armageddon Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 7:27 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
The former Yardbird's one album stoner/prog band from 1975 that reminds me of Captain Beyond for some reason. Long driving trippy songs with several sections. Hypnotic.

I've always wanted to hear this one.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Keith Relf's Armageddon   Keith Relf's Armageddon Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 7:15 pm

I did some research, and probably the reason it reminds me of Captain Beyond is that it features Bobby Caldwell who was Captain Beyond's drummer and wrote quite a few of C. Beyond's songs I think. I learn something new every day!
Some people don't like it though, because they'll repeat the same riff sometimes for for or five minutes, like Space Ritual era Hawkwind. The riffs are more funky than rocky, but damn, I like it anyway.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Keith Relf's Armageddon   Keith Relf's Armageddon Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 10:55 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
The former Yardbird's one album stoner/prog band
from 1975 that reminds me of Captain Beyond for some reason. Long
driving trippy songs with several sections. Hypnotic.

Excellent description of Armageddon, the project he formed after he
left the excellent Renaissance, I remember when I picked this up
I couldn't believe this was the same Keith Relf of the Yardbirds !!!!
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Keith Relf's Armageddon   Keith Relf's Armageddon Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 12:20 am

SAHB Healer wrote:

It is a classic classic album a must in every collection along with The Groundhogs - Crosscut Saw.

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

PostSubject: Re: Keith Relf's Armageddon   Keith Relf's Armageddon Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 4:28 am

I have it on cd. I was hoping the vocals would be higher in the mix, My only complaint.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Keith Relf's Armageddon   Keith Relf's Armageddon Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 2:28 pm

Just picked this up used for $8.99 at a used CD store. The little I listened to before deciding to buy it sounded VERY promising.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Keith Relf's Armageddon   Keith Relf's Armageddon Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 3:09 pm

An underrated band, and I think you will enjoy it DB.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Keith Relf's Armageddon   Keith Relf's Armageddon Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 6:25 pm

manny wrote:

Your right about that. This is a fantastic album and the song Silver Tightrope which is an amazing ballad. If I can get my voice better and get in a proper metal band, I'd love to cover that song.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Keith Relf's Armageddon   Keith Relf's Armageddon Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 8:35 pm

That is a great find DB, I do not even have a vinyl copy of this album. It is one of those great lost metal albums of the 70's, I had picked up ( on vinyl) many years ago due to Keith Relf's involvement. Great band and great album.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Keith Relf's Armageddon   Keith Relf's Armageddon Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 9:56 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
manny wrote:

This is a fantastic album and the song Silver Tightrope which is an amazing ballad.

Definatley is an amazing song, those phased guitars make you feel like your floating through space..............Spiritualized eat your heart out! Hard to believe that's the same singer that was the "Punk rock shouter" for the Yardbirds singing that song. RIP Keith Relf.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keith Relf's Armageddon   Keith Relf's Armageddon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Keith Relf's Armageddon
Page 1 of 1