Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?

Go down 
+9
Temple of Blood
tohostudios
ensiferum2k
scottmitchell74
thejokeriv
mez
Tall Tyrion
mc666
XYZ
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Empty
PostSubject: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 5:50 pm

I can't figure out why Tool, as avant-garde as it is, has sold more albums than Dream Theater. I know record sales don't determine how good a band is, but Dream Theater seems more accessible to the mainstream in terms of music style than Tool. Yet Tool seems to be vastly more popular cause of all the shirts, bumper stickers, hat, tats, etc. that I've seen. Is James LaBrie's vocals that big of a turn off to mainstream listeners? Is there something in Tool's music that attracts listeners?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 6:10 pm

i don't listen to Tool, but love Dream Theater...so i cannot answer your questions.

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 6:16 pm

Tool appeals to potheads. Though alot of those people don't have jobs, their influence is immeasurable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 6:40 pm

mc666 wrote:
i don't listen to Tool, but love Dream Theater...so i cannot answer your questions.

Me too....
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 6:47 pm

mc666 wrote:

That's what I was thinking as well.

To me, popularity means little. Look at the constant stream of boy bands and pop divas.
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 6:52 pm

For me personally, I am not into Dream Theatre, but I do own and enjoy Tools music, even though it has declined more over the years. What is odd is I cant stand Maynard however, his views and his attitude leave much to be desired. Course it is the music we hear and all the rest is just background right?

I also must say that I have a good job and am not at all a druggy or pothead (as Tool fans are being catagorized here, mind you I am not disagreeing with that comment).

For me the music are very different to even try getting a comparison, and lets face it Tool is far from progressive compared to Dream Theatres music. Both are talented bands and both are very techincial, however I guess where Tool wins and DT loses for me is vocals. I just have not been able to get passed the vocals on DT but I enjoy Maynards unique voice.

To continue in contradicting myself. I feel that Tool is the lesser talent of these two, and for the most part are the idiots of the two bands as well. Dream Theatre just never made the cut for me.... I cant really say why outside of the voice.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 6:59 pm

mc666 wrote:

Agreed
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 7:01 pm

Quote :
Tool appeals to potheads. Though alot of those people don't have jobs, their influence is immeasurable.

:lol!:But more of a soft gentle chuckle.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 7:03 pm

Hmmm....

I'm guessing because Tool gets, to me, more mainstream exposure. I've seen & heard more of Tool's music on radio & TV than Dream Theater's, which could mean that some Tool fans haven't heard of Dream Theater, or simply don't know their music. Then again, mainstream exposure doesn't necessarily equal popularity.

My other theory is that some people prefer Tool over Dream Theater (duh).

Personally, I like both bands pretty equally, although if I had to chose one album or song between them it would be Lateralus and "Ticks And Leeches", respectively.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 7:05 pm

Not a big Tool fan. However, they've authored one of my favorite songs - Aenema. Lyrically and musically beautiful.
Back to top Go down
ensiferum2k
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ensiferum2k

Number of posts : 340

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 7:09 pm

not much of a fan of either, but tool gets a lot of radio play in my town, while dream theater gets hardly any. way to go, clear channel radio!!!

Last edited by ensiferum2k on Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 7:09 pm

"See you all in Arizona Bay."

That's a classic song. And a great bit. RIP, Bill Hicks.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 7:10 pm

That's right! "Learn to swim!"
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 7:15 pm

Simple. Tool indulges in less technical wankery. DT bores the hell outta me.

The only Tool album I really like is Aenima but there's more music on that one album that I like than on all the DT albums combined. DT sacrifices melody and memorability for the sake of showing off IMO and that turns me off.

"F....L. Ron Hubbard..."

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 7:19 pm

that may be true on individual songs, but not albums over all. DT crafts many quality songs with memorable hooks, riffs, & melodies. Tool just make their material more commercially available.

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 7:25 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I'm a big Tool.

Fixed that.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 7:33 pm

spectrefate wrote:

You summed it up pretty well I think.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 8:01 pm

Quote :
I have a big Tool.

Fixed for true accuracy!
Back to top Go down
Selvmord
Metal student
Metal student
Selvmord

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 9:04 pm

I don't smoke pot, or do any drugs for that matter, I have a high paying job, and I think Tool is one o the best bands around. DT is far too hit and miss with me. They have maybe 2 CD's worth of decent material, while Tool has quite a bit more. No station around here plays DT at all, and very little Tool. I've always thought of Tool as an "intellectual band." Not that I think I'm an intellectual, far from it. DT, as has been said in this thread, has too much technical wankery for thier own good. Yes, they are indeed good musicians, but it always seems like they are showing off. I've never seen DT in concert, but I've seen Tool twice, and each time it was sensory overload! The music, the visuals, everything. Do I think Tool has some poor songs? Of course I do. But way fewer than DT does in my opinion. I liked Images and Words, and that was about it. I like everything Tool has put out.

Not disagreeing with anyone here, we all have our own tastes, but I like Tool much better than DT. I don't see that changing anytime soon either...
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 10:17 pm

Isn't Tool the band with the claymation dood that has the supersonic hand?

Huh Huh Huh.... If I could move my hand that fast... I'd never leave the house... Huh Huh Huh, Huh Huh Huh
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 10:54 pm

That's the one! That's what I always think of as well when I think of them! Mike Judge = Genius!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 2:14 pm

DT came out right when grunge was getting huge so many despised them for their technical knowledge. As popular as they were they would have been huge if they'd dropped about the time of Mindcrime. Tool hit at the right time and the marketing of them was huge.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 2:19 pm

emptytomb1 wrote:
DT came out right when grunge was getting huge so many despised them for their technical knowledge. As popular as they were they would have been huge if they'd dropped about the time of Mindcrime. Tool hit at the right time and the marketing of them was huge.

Good point.

Plus, Tool singing about perverse sexuality and belligerent teen anger is considered very "deep" to some.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 2:24 pm

I love DT while Tool is just O.K. IMO. I personally do not think that DT sacrifices any melody or memorability because I can recall many songs of theirs without having to listen to them at all and I am in no way musically inclined (I can't read or write it). After Scenes From A Memory they do tend to focus too much on playing their instruments more than song structure and James sometimes gets lost in it all but they still produce solid albums everytime. While I don't like them as much as I used to but they are still one of my favorite bands of all time. My favorite is a tie between Images & Words and Awake.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 3:07 pm

Well I personally dislike Tool and feel they are one of the most overrated bands on the planet. I will have to say they have some of the best fans out there though. People that like Tool think they're the best band in the world. I have tried to like Tool but it seems that most of the songs lack any sort of melody, where as DT has melody. Also with Tool all there last 3 albums all seemed to be recycled IMO. It sounds like they released the same album is what i am saying.

So saying that Tool is below avg. and DT is above avg.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?   Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why does Tool seem more popular than Dream Theater?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next