Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING

Go down 
+17
jstate
XYZ
zombiewalkin
mc666
GrandNational
the sentinel
ultmetal
candlemass
Troublezone
thejokeriv
Lurideath
Required Fields
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
DallasBlack
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Empty
PostSubject: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 4:11 pm

Apart from being a classic, IMO this is one of the best thrash albums ever (hell, one of the best in metal period). My first introduction to Anthrax was Sound Of White Noise but I think I like this one more (by a small margin). I was first alerted to it when I caught the video for Indians on Headbanger's Ball. It was totally different from what I knew about them but it was enough for me to get the album on tape. Later (I can't remember when) I got it on CD and now it is one of my favorite albums ever. Favorite songs are the title track, Caught In A Mosh, I Am The Law, A Skeleton In The Closet, and my first introduction-Indians (though all songs are great). Thoughts on this masterpiece?
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 4:14 pm

Its probably my favorite Anthrax album.Its just great from start to finish
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 4:28 pm

One of my favorites. Like Thrasher said, it's great from start to finish, not a bad song on there. Since we're talking about that album, can someone clarify a rumor I once heard.

Is the song Efilnikcufesin (NFL) about John Belushi? I've heard that for years and the lyrics would seem appropriate, but I've never heard the band comment on it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37632

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 4:28 pm

I LOVED "AMONG THE LIVING" when I was in high school...I burned out two cassettes of this album back in the day! It's tough for me to decide whether AMONG or SPREADING THE DISEASE is their finest moment, though.

I only recently upgraded this one to CD (within the last two years or so) and it still holds up well.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 4:41 pm

I loved this album back in high school but as the years have gone on I tend to think of "Spreading the Disease" as this band's real masterpiece.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28414

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 4:59 pm

Their best album, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 5:29 pm

Spreading is a masterpiece as well. But I think all the planets aligned on Among the Living. Right time, Right place, Right in Reagans face!!
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3891

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 5:59 pm

I think "Fistful of Metal" is their best ever! But I like Among The Living too. Just not as much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 6:26 pm

I agree, It It's a masterpiece! But my favourite Anthrax album is always "Persistance Of Time"
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 6:40 pm

Good CD< but I prefer Spreading
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 8:24 pm

It's a tie between Among and Spreading. I never thought about the initials to Spreading the Disease is STD. They're clever! Laughing
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 9:01 pm

The only one by them that I truly enjoy, and I agree, it's one of the best in metal period! 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 9:03 pm

JerryOnly wrote:
I agree, It It's a masterpiece! But my favourite Anthrax album is always "Persistance Of Time"

What he said, except substitute "Spreading the Disease" for "Persistence of Time".

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 10:18 pm

My first and favorite will always be Spreading the Disease, but I wi love Among the Living. I will be buying myself a brand new copy on CD soon because my original is so scratched and worn out it skips like crazy. Good thread, Dallas!!! 🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 11:51 pm

ultmetal wrote:
JerryOnly wrote:

What he said, except substitute "Spreading the Disease" for "Persistence of Time".

I'm with you on that. However, Among the Living comes so close. They're so similar. I think those two albums have, aside from so many other things, some the coolest backing vocals in metal.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 12:56 am

I remember playing this album for a few weeks straight every morning when I woke up about 8 or so years ago right before heading to class. Great album for sure.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 1:12 am

JerryOnly wrote:
you nailed it for me too! 🤘

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 2:52 am

One thing is apparent from this thread: I MUST GET SPREADING THE DISEASE FOR MY NEXT ANTHRAX PURCHASE! I have Persistence Of Time but I need to listen to it some more because although it is a good album, I just don't like it as much as others seem to.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 8:00 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
One of my favorites. Like Thrasher said, it's great from start to finish, not a bad song on there. Since we're talking about that album, can someone clarify a rumor I once heard.

Is the song Efilnikcufesin (NFL) about John Belushi? I've heard that for years and the lyrics would seem appropriate, but I've never heard the band comment on it.

I have heard the same,MG but I dont know if its any truth to it.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 10:14 am

I am the walkin' dude,
I can see all the world,
Twist your minds with fear,
I'm the man with power,
Among the living,
Follow me or die!

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 10:22 am

I was spinning this yesterday! Great album!

Spreading The Disease is still my fav of theirs. The band I was in during high school used to cover Madhouse. We also covered Metal Thrashing Mad too.

Among The Living hit at the right time though. It is a complete classic in every sense of the word and it never gets old IMO. I played the crap out of this tape and also my STD tape..........hehe.........the call letters for Spreading the Disease is "STD".........coincidence?

NOT!
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 12:02 pm

Great thrash album.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 12:55 pm

zombiewalkin wrote:
I was spinning this yesterday! Great album!

Spreading The Disease is still my fav of theirs. The band I was in during high school used to cover Madhouse. We also covered Metal Thrashing Mad too.

Among The Living hit at the right time though. It is a complete classic in every sense of the word and it never gets old IMO. I played the crap out of this tape and also my STD tape..........hehe.........the call letters for Spreading the Disease is "STD".........coincidence?

NOT!

Don't remember if STD was used when the album was released, or if it was still the old term, VD
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 7:49 pm

I still remember my friend Joey telling me I had to here this tape he got. We were at somebody's birthday party and he basically took over the stereo to play it. I was sold from the title track. Just a complete killer album. Like others, went through many cassette copies and my CD isn't in the best of shape either.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25807

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 8:57 pm

This is definitely a classic in my book!! It's my favorite Anthrax release. The song One World is my favorite off this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING   Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Among The Best: AMONG THE LIVING
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: