Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Budgie

Go down 
+14
chewie
Witchfinder
jstate
Gilbert
TheDoctor'sScarf
Zé Metal & Company
Troublezone
akeldama
skullsmasher
manny
TrogDawn
rattpoison
SAHB Healer
Wargod
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Budgie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Budgie   Budgie - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 12:01 pm

The albums after Impeckable I'm not that crazy about, I think original guitarist Tony Bourge is a key ingredient of their sound and it's just not the same without him.

If I had to choose "1" album (which thankfully I don't) it would be "Bandolier".

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7606

Budgie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Budgie   Budgie - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 2:22 pm

Power Supply is my favorite from them. Sure it's their "NWOBHM Sellout" album but I love it. I have scattered bits of the rest of their discography but I will complete it eventually.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Budgie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Budgie   Budgie - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 2:33 pm

I'd have to say that Bandolier was their start in trying to appeal to the American audience but all of their '70s output is great but I can't choose a fave from them. If Swallowed Do Not Induce Vomiting is a great EP even though by then Tony Bourge was gone John Thomas brought a lot of energy to the band. I used to really hold Power Supply in high regard but even though it's a good album it's not very versatile and Steve Williams drumming is rather samey and at times stale. I like all their albums but their last great release was the aforementioned EP.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Budgie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Budgie   Budgie - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 3:03 pm

I only own three Budgie albums and love all three of them, but I have to confess if Metallica had not covered their songs I would have never heard of them.
Back to top Go down

Budgie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Budgie   Budgie - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 3:19 pm

manny wrote:
I only own three Budgie albums and love all three of them, but I have to confess if Metallica had not covered their songs I would have never heard of them.

I think that has much more to do with their lack of distribution in the US than the quality of the music itself.

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Budgie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Budgie   Budgie - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 3:56 pm

S.D. wrote:
manny wrote:

I think that has much more to do with their lack of distribution in the US than the quality of the music itself.

Isn't that the fate of a lot of bands.......... even domestic ones!!!!
Back to top Go down

Budgie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Budgie   Budgie - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 3:59 pm

Quite a few really great bands from Europe suffered from poor distribution in the 70s that really hurt their careers. Budgie, Nektar, Camel, Lucifer's Friend all jump to mind immediately.
Back to top Go down
rajah
Metal student
Metal student
rajah

Number of posts : 105

Budgie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Budgie   Budgie - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 10:27 pm

Not a bad album from these guys. Well worth it to own their whole discography. My favorites are Never Turn Your Back, Power Supply and Nightflight.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Budgie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Budgie   Budgie - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 11:24 pm

S.D. wrote:
Quite a few really great bands from Europe suffered from poor distribution in the 70s that really hurt their careers.  Budgie, Nektar, Camel, Lucifer's Friend all jump to mind immediately.  

I would add Eloy to that list.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Budgie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Budgie   Budgie - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2019 11:07 am

Bumping an old thread for an opinion. If i'm dipping my toes in the Budgie waters, would this be a good place to start?

Budgie - Page 2 614dJ04ydML
Budgie - Page 2 61%2BZjuYspWL

3 albums worth of material without breaking the bank. Honestly, I could probably just make due with this collection to satisfy an itch without going all in.

What say you, Budgie fans?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Budgie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Budgie   Budgie - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2019 1:31 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Bumping an old thread for an opinion. If i'm dipping my toes in the Budgie waters, would this be a good place to start?

Budgie - Page 2 614dJ04ydML
Budgie - Page 2 61%2BZjuYspWL

3 albums worth of material without breaking the bank. Honestly, I could probably just make due with this collection to satisfy an itch without going all in.

What say you, Budgie fans?

Yes, I got this a little over a year ago. It's a perfect place to start. I also got "Impeckable" shortly after. "Power Supply" (1980) is next on my list and then backwards to "If I Were Brittania, I would Waive the Rules" (1976).
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

Budgie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Budgie   Budgie - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2019 4:52 pm

Those are my three favorite Budgie records and definitely a good place to start, but their first two records are essential too.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Budgie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Budgie   Budgie - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2019 10:38 am

Right on. Thanks.

I've never owned any albums from them. I only know a handful of songs that appear on the few NWOBHM comps I've had. Figured I should finally get me some. It was either that 3 album set of their kinda weak-ass best of.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9854

Budgie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Budgie   Budgie - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2019 3:22 pm

My favourite Budgie song ever:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Budgie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Budgie   Budgie - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Budgie