Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thin Lizzy

Go down 
+14
ghostintheruins
ThrashedOutCobra33
the sentinel
EvyMetal
journeyman
rattpoison
TrogDawn
Tall Tyrion
XYZ
James B.
stepcousin
ultmetal
DeathCult
Wargod
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Thin Lizzy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy   Thin Lizzy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 2:17 pm

Thin Lizzy along with Megadeth are the greatest bands of all time IMO. Brian Downey is probably the most underrated drummer of all time. I dig everything Thin Lizzy ever did especially Johnny The Fox and Black Rose.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy   Thin Lizzy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 2:53 pm

Phil was a poet, if he had played folk music instead of hard rock he'd probably be much more respected than he is. I can think of very few lyricists that cover the amount of territory he did and in such brilliant fashion. One of the truly great ones.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy   Thin Lizzy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 2:55 pm

detuned wrote:
Phil was a poet, if he had played folk music instead of hard rock he'd probably be much more respected than he is. I can think of very few lyricists that cover the amount of territory he did and in such brilliant fashion. One of the truly great ones.

I couldn't have said it better myself
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy   Thin Lizzy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 2:58 pm

manny wrote:
detuned wrote:

I couldn't have said it better myself

Agreed
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy   Thin Lizzy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 5:04 pm

Am I the only one here that doesn't get Thin Lizzy? I don't dislike them. I've tried listening to them, and while I like it ok, it never blew my socks off. In fact, years ago I purchased Dedication (a greatest hits, more or less) and kept it for awhile, but didn't really care for it and traded it away. It sounded like any other 70's hard rock band of the time. Nothing more, nothing less.

Fast forward a few years and now I'm reading post after post about how great they are and how underrrated this and legendary that, blah, blah, blah. I figure that maybe that I'm older and my musical boundries have expanded, I'll give 'em another shot. Maybe I missed something? I purchase Dedication again. This time around I do find that I appreciate them a little more than the 1st time I heard this disc, but overall, still nothing is making me want to buy up their entire discography or get Phil's portrait tattooed on my left butt cheek.

I like 70's rock. I like most of the early "heavy metal" bands of that era (Cooper, Aerosmith, Nugent, Deep Purple, etc.). What am I missing here?

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy   Thin Lizzy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 2:05 am

I don't think you're necessarily "missing" anything, it just might not be your cup of Joe. Thin Lizzy is one of those bands that tends to attract either rabid fans or people like you who hear it and don't really "feel" it. Nothing wrong with that.

They are similar to Jethro Tull in that fashion, either you get them or you don't.

Are there any particular tracks on Dedication that you liked? I might be able to recommend a couple things if have a few songs to go on.

One note about Dedication, it's a fine collection...but it tends to ignore many of the album tracks and concentrates on the singles, the album cuts are where the "meat" is.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy   Thin Lizzy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 8:23 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Am I the only one here that doesn't get Thin Lizzy?

I like 70's rock. I like most of the early "heavy metal" bands of that era (Cooper, Aerosmith, Nugent, Deep Purple, etc.). What am I missing here?

Try picking up "Live and Dangerous" and see if it doesn't change your perspective.

Thin Lizzy rules. They had a unique sound that inspired many bands. Iron Maiden in particular took a lot from Thin Lizzy. That duel guitar sound is one of their signatures, although many say that Wishbone Ash had the sound first.

Philip Lynott's soulful vocals, the twin axe attack, catchy songs, the Irish folk influences, Brian Downey behind the kit. Downy was one of the first drummers to use the steady double bass sound. Take a listen to "Bad Reputation". There were many reasons to like Lizzy.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy   Thin Lizzy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 8:55 am

Metalguy I second ULTMetal suggestion of " Live and Dangerous" it is a killer set and shows Phil Lynott's on stage charisma. I also would recommend Black Rose with Gary Moore on guitar, see if that changes your view on them. If it doesn't that just means as detuned stated just not your thing.

If you do pick up any of this let me know what you think.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy   Thin Lizzy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 10:23 am

I'll keep an eye out for Live and Dangerous. There's a Rock Expo coming up Thanksgiving weekend. I've put myself on a temporary buying freeze for the time being so I'll have some extra scratch to spend when I go.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy   Thin Lizzy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 10:36 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'll keep an eye out for Live and Dangerous. There's a Rock Expo coming up Thanksgiving weekend. I've put myself on a temporary buying freeze for the time being so I'll have some extra scratch to spend when I go.

Wheres it at?
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy   Thin Lizzy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 10:38 am

DeathCult wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Wheres it at?

The National Guard Armory in NE Philadelphia. I'm gonna make an official post about it, but after that suck-fest expo in Wildwood over the summer, I'm a little apprehensive.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy   Thin Lizzy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 10:49 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
DeathCult wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Wheres it at?

The National Guard Armory in NE Philadelphia. I'm gonna make an official post about it, but after that suck-fest expo in Wildwood over the summer, I'm a little apprehensive.

Ill be pretty pissed off if that happens.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy   Thin Lizzy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 11:09 am

Ult wrote:

Thin Lizzy rules. They had a unique sound that inspired many bands. Iron Maiden in particular took a lot from Thin Lizzy. That duel guitar sound is one of their signatures, although many say that Wishbone Ash had the sound first.

I have always contended that "Emerald" from the Jailbreak album always sounded like something from Maiden's s/t debut. Especially the bass in the outro. Peace.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy   Thin Lizzy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 1:36 pm

WOW!!!!!! Looks like this DVD just came out:

Thin Lizzy - Page 2 41yzjLBSxFL._SL500_AA240_

There are 2 concerts on 1 double-sided DVD:

Side 1 - Live At The Rainbow Theater (1977)
Side 2 - "Farewell" concert Regal Theater (1983) w/ John Sykes

plus bonus performance footage from Top Of The Pops, interviews with surviving members, etc.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy   Thin Lizzy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 2:06 pm

ultmetal wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Try picking up "Live and Dangerous" and see if it doesn't change your perspective.

Philip Lynott's soulful vocals, the twin axe attack, catchy songs, the Irish folk influences, Brian Downey behind the kit. Downy was one of the first drummers to use the steady double bass sound. Take a listen to "Bad Reputation". There were many reasons to like Lizzy.

Just taking a quick glance on ebay, I saw a few copies of Live & Dangerous. All of them appear to be the original single disc version from 1978. Has this disc ever been re-released or remastered with bonus tracks or anything?

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy   Thin Lizzy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 2:27 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Just taking a quick glance on ebay, I saw a few copies of Live & Dangerous. All of them appear to be the original single disc version from 1978. Has this disc ever been re-released or remastered with bonus tracks or anything?

There is an import remastered version from Australia, available for $11.99 here: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1389330
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy   Thin Lizzy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 4:31 pm

ultmetal wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I have a new copy of Live & Dangerous ($8.99) coming my way based on all of your recommendations. I'd better like it or there will be hell to pay!! :kickbutt:

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy   Thin Lizzy - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thin Lizzy
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2