Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Babylon A.D.

Go down 
+5
the sentinel
Tall Tyrion
Shiney
tohostudios
Metal Misfit
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Babylon A.D. Empty
PostSubject: Babylon A.D.   Babylon A.D. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 3:24 pm

Man, I'm loving this band. Just recently got my hands on their first two albums. I haven't listened to Nothing Sacred much because I'm digging the first one so much!

Any fans out there? Favorite album? Songs?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Babylon A.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babylon A.D.   Babylon A.D. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 4:25 pm

The S/T is their best by far! Bang Go The Bells, The Kid Goes Wild, Hammer Swings Down, Caught Up In The Crossfire, etc.etc. Great album!

BTW, don't bother with the third one American Blitzkrieg. I thought it was horrible.

Babylon A.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babylon A.D.   Babylon A.D. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 6:59 pm

tohostudios wrote:
BTW, don't bother with the third one American Blitzkrieg. I thought it was horrible.
It's a decent CD. It's got some really good songs on it. But I admit, I haven't heard it in years. I've never actually owned the album, so if anyone wants to send me a copy, that would be cool. =)

Anyway, the first two albums are two of my favorites ever. The second album has more of Derek's blues influence, but it's still a killer CD. They recently released a rarities album, too.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Babylon A.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babylon A.D.   Babylon A.D. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 7:16 pm

Great hair metal...cheez-tastic.....

Babylon A.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babylon A.D.   Babylon A.D. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 7:21 pm

Hey, does "Bang Go The Bells" refer to...balls? Haha. I've always wondered that.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Babylon A.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babylon A.D.   Babylon A.D. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 7:23 pm

Quote :
It's a decent CD. It's got some really good songs on it. But I admit, I haven't heard it in years. I've never actually owned the album, so if anyone wants to send me a copy, that would be cool. =)

American Blitzkrieg. $5 incl. shipping. PM me if interested.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

Babylon A.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babylon A.D.   Babylon A.D. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 7:41 pm

LOVE Babylon AD! Saw them live for free as well (unless you count the expenses for the two hour trip). They were a great live band.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Babylon A.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babylon A.D.   Babylon A.D. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 7:46 pm

I have the first two. Like the first album better than the second. Have never heard the third. They are a great band but rank behind my other faves from the 1980's hair metal scene; but I still pull out the discs and spine 'em every so often.
Back to top Go down

Babylon A.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babylon A.D.   Babylon A.D. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 8:15 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
LOVE Babylon AD! Saw them live for free as well (unless you count the expenses for the two hour trip). They were a great live band.
I saw them at a teeny weeny club called Derringer's in Brockton (my town) way back in the day. The club held about 100 people. They were touring on the debut. It was awesome!

Earlier that day we saw the band at the Westgate Mall. I spoke to Derek a few years ago and I mentioned how we saw them at the mall, all wearing their Babylon A.D. leather jackets, and he actually remembered the venue and the mall. I was pretty surprised considering about 15 years had gone by.

But yeah, they were great.

Anyway, ever check out Derek's blues band, American Blues Box (http://www.myspace.com/bluesbox)? Good band! Check out "Mississippi Mud." And if you dig this band, download this:

MOONSHINE - THE DEMO (1994)

That's a demo (called The Demo) by a band called Moonshine. It was released in 1994. Derek Davis was in this band. I believe it was his first post-Babylon A.D. project. It's another blues band. Includes a cool cover of "Fortunate Son."
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

Babylon A.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babylon A.D.   Babylon A.D. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 8:52 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:

Agreed, I saw'em twice back in the day and they were an excellent live band both times. Derek was a very cool frontman.

I love both the S/T and the NOTHING SACRED albums (I'm still tryin' to upgrade the S/T to compact disc...!)... never bothered with AMERICAN BLITZKRIEG but their demos/rarities thing that came out last year was pretty good stuff too.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Babylon A.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babylon A.D.   Babylon A.D. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 9:07 pm

Downloading that demo now, thanks!

They were touring Nothing Sacred when I saw them. I bought a T-Shirt and wore it to threads before finally tossing it.

Here's a weird Babylon AD story. I had ordered their s/t from BMG on cassette and when it arrived, I popped it in and it was a best of by Billy Idol! I checked again, and everything (j-card, printing on the shell) indicated that it was a Babylon AD cassette. Obviously, someone had switched the magnetic tape in the manufacturing process. When I called BMG to see about a replacement, they told me that opened products are not returnable. No matter how many times I explained that there was no way I could have found out that they sent me the wrong tape until I actually put it in and listened to it, they would not budge.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

Babylon A.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babylon A.D.   Babylon A.D. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 9:08 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:

Here's a weird Babylon AD story. I had ordered their s/t from BMG on cassette and when it arrived, I popped it in and it was a best of by Billy Idol! I checked again, and everything (j-card, printing on the shell) indicated that it was a Babylon AD cassette. Obviously, someone had switched the magnetic tape in the manufacturing process. When I called BMG to see about a replacement, they told me that opened products are not returnable. No matter how many times I explained that there was no way I could have found out that they sent me the wrong tape until I actually put it in and listened to it, they would not budge.

Ahhh, good ole BMG Music Service. Laughing I personally would've smashed the cassette with a hammer and mailed the pieces back to'em C.O.D. Smile

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Babylon A.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babylon A.D.   Babylon A.D. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 9:14 pm

I should have, that would have been cathartic. Smile

I put it away in a drawer. Probably still have it in a box somewhere.
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

Babylon A.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babylon A.D.   Babylon A.D. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 11:32 pm

Another band I own everything from...including the demos and the live disc. That self-titled disc is a MONSTER of an album! Huge hooks, catchy songs, strong vocals...Sam Kinison...what's not to like?! Excellent, and a must-have for fans of the genre.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com

Babylon A.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babylon A.D.   Babylon A.D. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 11:51 pm

Years ago when the live disc came out, I posted on the band's forum that I thought the live tracks were just studio recordings with crowd overdubs and some reverb. Derek flipped out! Haha. I guess if those aren't the studio tracks I was giving them a huge compliment, but part of me is still skeptical. I know they were a good band live, but that live disc just seems identical to my ears.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Babylon A.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babylon A.D.   Babylon A.D. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 12:08 am

Thanks for that Moonshine demo, Eyesore, I LOVE it. 🤘
Back to top Go down

Babylon A.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babylon A.D.   Babylon A.D. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 12:30 am

Right on. 🤘
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Babylon A.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babylon A.D.   Babylon A.D. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 10:37 am

Bought that first album as a blind buy - probably one of the best completely blind purchases I ever made. Have a lot of memories tied up in that one. Nothing Sacred is also real good. Have never actually heard American Blitzkrieg. To me it all comes down to that first album.

I always wanted to see them live but every time they came through town something always prevented my going. Sounds like I missed what were some great shows.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

Babylon A.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babylon A.D.   Babylon A.D. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 8:10 pm

This is one band that I always thought would get bigger than they actually did. The S/T album is great. I really like the second one too. I also got to see them a couple times back in the day. Got guitar picks from the band as well as an album flat signed by them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Babylon A.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babylon A.D.   Babylon A.D. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Babylon A.D.
Page 1 of 1