Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

KIX to call it quits

Go down 
+5
Glower
Troublezone
nevermore
Fat Freddy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

KIX to call it quits Empty
PostSubject: KIX to call it quits   KIX to call it quits Icon_minitimeTue May 09, 2023 10:35 am

Another long running band is hanging it up.
I've always liked KIX, I saw them live a bunch of times in the early 90s and they always put on a great show.
This news is a bummer, but with their recent personnel/health issues it's not exactly a surprise either.

KIX to call it quits Kixbandsept2021_638

Quote :
Veteran rockers KIX will play their final show in September.

The Baltimore-based act, which formed in 1977, announced its plan to call it quits during an appearance earlier today (Sunday, May 7) at the M3 Rock Festival at the Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, Maryland.

Whiteman can be seen telling the M3 Rock Festival crowd (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "I wanna make an announcement here. And it's gonna be probably a little hard to get through, but I wanna do it anyway, 'cause we want you all to know. We've decided that after 45 years of doing this, I think we're gonna call it a career. Not tonight. We're gonna do a show here September 17th.
"It's been a long, long, long road," he continued. "And my health is failing. Jimmy's [Chalfant, KIX drummer] health is definitely failing. And we just decided we're gonna finish up these dates through the summer. And we were gonna end in Hinckley, Minnesota. And we thought, 'Who the fuck wants to end a career in Hickley, Minnesota?' So we brainstormed, and we said, 'We wanna do one big final rock and roll show in the area,' because you guys deserve it. No offense, Hinckley, but fuck that. So September 17th will be our final show, and we're lucky enough to be doing it here [at the Merriweather Post Pavilion], so we hope you all will come join us. Will you come join us for our final show? We're countin' on you.

"So, it's sad, but it's just time," Steve added. "You know when it's time. It's like an athlete. You know when it's time. And I think it's time. I'm tired. I can't fucking do this anymore. [Laughs]"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Troublezone likes this post

Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25855

PostSubject: Re: KIX to call it quits   KIX to call it quits Icon_minitimeTue May 09, 2023 11:13 am

I was fortunate enough to see them twice. They were outstanding both times. It sucks they're going to stop. But like you said with their recent health issues it's not surprising.

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39550

PostSubject: Re: KIX to call it quits   KIX to call it quits Icon_minitimeTue May 09, 2023 2:04 pm

Great band! Too bad they have to call it quits. I'm glad I got to them open for KISS back in the day.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: KIX to call it quits   KIX to call it quits Icon_minitimeTue May 09, 2023 9:45 pm

I was gonna post this when the news broke… but I knew Freddy would do it.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: KIX to call it quits   KIX to call it quits Icon_minitimeTue May 09, 2023 9:47 pm

007 wrote:
Great band! Too bad they have to call it quits. I'm glad I got to them open for KISS back in the day.

They seem to be still performing well… but I guess some of the guys are having health issues. Especially the drummer. It’s too bad! They were one of the best AC/DC style bands.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: KIX to call it quits   KIX to call it quits Icon_minitimeTue May 09, 2023 9:49 pm

Their recent album remixes are excellent. The sound quality is miles better!
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3169

PostSubject: Re: KIX to call it quits   KIX to call it quits Icon_minitimeThu May 11, 2023 2:13 pm

Great band. I had / have albums CDs.
Seen the Midnight Dynamite tour at a club…….
The girls were all out - even in the mens room.
KIX packed some serious power that night. Etc. Etc.
I need to add more of their music to my collection.
Did the singer have a side band ? Funny Money ?
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 602

PostSubject: Re: KIX to call it quits   KIX to call it quits Icon_minitimeThu May 11, 2023 2:44 pm

Saw them in Little Rock in 1990 when they opened up for Whitesnake.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: KIX to call it quits   KIX to call it quits Icon_minitimeThu May 11, 2023 4:30 pm

Glower wrote:

Great band. I had / have albums CDs.
Seen the Midnight Dynamite tour at a club…….
The girls were all out - even in the mens room.
KIX packed some serious power that night. Etc. Etc.
I need to add more of their music to my collection.
Did the singer have a side band ? Funny Money ?

Yep. Steve Whiteman's band was Funny Money.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/3632962-Funny-Money-2
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
oldschooldoom
Metal novice
Metal novice
oldschooldoom

Number of posts : 80

PostSubject: Re: KIX to call it quits   KIX to call it quits Icon_minitimeFri May 12, 2023 8:52 pm

I was so happy to finally see them in Baltimore in 2019

They warmed for Stryper last night in Cleveland
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: KIX to call it quits   KIX to call it quits Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2023 11:12 am

Kix's final show was this past weekend. I've watched some clips on YouTube and it looks like they went out on a high note.

Enjoy retirement, fellas, you've earned it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25855

PostSubject: Re: KIX to call it quits   KIX to call it quits Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2023 12:41 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Kix's final show was this past weekend. I've watched some clips on YouTube and it looks like they went out on a high note.

Enjoy retirement, fellas, you've earned it.

It was cool seeing Ronnie Younkins and brad Divens come out and play with them again. I do wish Donnie Purnell would have set aside whatever differences he has with the band and played with them one final time.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: KIX to call it quits   KIX to call it quits Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2023 9:27 pm

Donnie Purnell is like Vinnie Paul. He takes his animosity to the grave.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12611

PostSubject: Re: KIX to call it quits   KIX to call it quits Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2023 1:22 am

Hit n miss band for me, great onstage (IMHDO)

Awesome they realized the inevitable, and knew it was time.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: KIX to call it quits   KIX to call it quits Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2023 1:37 am

Blow My Fuse is my favorite of theirs. I have the remixed/remastered version and a 2 disc collection called “The Essentials”. That’s pretty much all I need.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KIX to call it quits   KIX to call it quits Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

KIX to call it quits
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: