Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A tale of Scrabble, fate and the power of music. Or, how I become a sort-of country music fan.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

A tale of Scrabble, fate and the power of music. Or, how I become a sort-of country music fan.  Empty
PostSubject: A tale of Scrabble, fate and the power of music. Or, how I become a sort-of country music fan.    A tale of Scrabble, fate and the power of music. Or, how I become a sort-of country music fan.  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2022 7:06 pm

My wife and I were playing Scrabble at about 3pm on Friday. I said, "we should go on a date." I checked the local "to do" a band called Shane Smith & the Saints popped up at a venue called Potosi Live (Potosi is a small town just down the road). So, I told her about it. Then...and you must understand I'm telling the truth as a Christian... about 10-15 seconds later I pull seven letters from the bag (I had just played an "all") and out of those seven letters I pull P O T O S I (not in that order, but they were there). My wife and I look at each other and exclaim noises. We can't believe it! I take it as a sign that we must go.

Then I check them out on youtube having never heard of them. First song is upbeat with great fiddle music. I'm in. I can't stand modern country but this is different. We listen for about an hour and I'm in, but despite all the signs and wonders my wife is not digging the music, and has not interest in going, so I'm bummed.

Then my daughter comes home from work. I tell her the story. She can't believe my wife won't go. I play her the first song I heard and 30-seconds in she says, "Let's go!" She plays violin and loves fiddle music as well.

We go and the show is incredible. It's heavy! We keep looking at each other shrugging because it's more like a hard rock/heavy metal concert in the middle of W. Texas country with some  roots/rock/bluegrass thrown in.

Now Shane Smith & the Saints have two new fans and I can't believe how lucky we were to see them and I can't believe I'm listening to them so much in a 96 hour window.

A tale of Scrabble, fate and the power of music. Or, how I become a sort-of country music fan.  20220811
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3167

A tale of Scrabble, fate and the power of music. Or, how I become a sort-of country music fan.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A tale of Scrabble, fate and the power of music. Or, how I become a sort-of country music fan.    A tale of Scrabble, fate and the power of music. Or, how I become a sort-of country music fan.  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2022 9:38 am

Great story ! Your daughter sounds great -
You just never know - until you go.
I was once in a Scrabble club. A top of the top.
They had doctors and lawyers and librarians and me.
A really funny book is “ Word Freak “ - this sports writer meets all these top scrabble players.
I was never super duper good. You have to know many words.
The question I have - is potosi a word lol
Back to top Go down

A tale of Scrabble, fate and the power of music. Or, how I become a sort-of country music fan.
Page 1 of 1