Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The graphic novel trend

Go down 
+4
Fat Freddy
nevermore
exact33
Wrecked Neck
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

The graphic novel trend Empty
PostSubject: The graphic novel trend   The graphic novel trend Icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2021 11:58 pm

Am I the only one that's already tired of this new trend happening? I can understand some albums being put to graphic novels, albums like Abigail or maybe some Iced Earth albums. Any concept album would be understandable, but when Screaming for Vengeance and Holy Diver, Among the Living etc etc are getting this treatment, I think its lame. Just another cash grab by the bands, and quite pointless. Maybe it's just the grumpy old man in me, but it's really leaving a sour taste in my mouth every time I hear of another one. Anyone else in here feel this watch? Or am I too grumpy? don\'t know
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: The graphic novel trend   The graphic novel trend Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2021 9:59 am

I liked the Iron Maiden series but yes, it is getting out of control..

nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25827

PostSubject: Re: The graphic novel trend   The graphic novel trend Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2021 1:11 pm

I've started seeing it more and more. But to be honest the trend of every band making a beer or wine bugged me more.

Glower likes this post

Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: The graphic novel trend   The graphic novel trend Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2021 1:52 pm

nevermore wrote:
I've started seeing it more and more. But to be honest the trend of every band making a beer or wine bugged me more.

Yeah that one is annoying too, but I guess it makes sense to me more than a graphic novel. Metal has enough childish antics, no need to start making them into comic book hero's and shit now lol

Glower likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

PostSubject: Re: The graphic novel trend   The graphic novel trend Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2021 2:19 pm

I'm a comic book fan from way back but I have no interest in these band-related ones, cuz I remember how terrible Marvel's KISS comics were when I was a kid. Laughing very hard A couple of years ago my then-ten-year-old got into comics for a brief while when a comic shop opened in our town (which sadly didn't last long), so I picked up a couple of the current KISS comics from Dynamite Entertainment...and they were terrible too! Laughing very hard

But seriously, I guess I could understand a graphic novel based on an album if it was a concept record that told a story, but for something like "Among the Living," which is a bunch of unrelated songs, it doesn't make much sense to me.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6330

PostSubject: Re: The graphic novel trend   The graphic novel trend Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2021 3:58 pm

You do know you don't have to buy them, if you don't like them...

I don't mind there being more stuff out there for someone who wants it and enjoys it. I wish there was an Impellitteri kitchen cutlery set. But then if there was, some angry fans of the band would probably start threads about not wanting them, not needing them and how they shouldn't even exist. 

Even if it's not for you, let those who want them have them. It's nothing away from you. I would also enjoy a Doro Pesch pillow.

EDIT: the last Ayreon album came with a comic book. I thought it was very cool to have something like that. It came free on top of the CD. Yet still some complaint how you shouldn't need a comic book to follow a concept album. Well, you don't, but it's still there and it's nice. And if you didn't buy the CD and just stream the music, then whatever. You probably wouldn't appreciate a physical item anyway. You can read the comic online somewhere, I'm sure. 

I'm pretty sure buying the CD+comic package and owning it for the next four decades is still cheaper than having to "rent" that album every month again and again from an online streaming service. But now I got way off point. 

Everybody likes what they like. If there's a KISS action figure set someone enjoys, GOOD FOR THEM.

Last edited by Lari on Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

PostSubject: Re: The graphic novel trend   The graphic novel trend Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2021 4:02 pm

If some fanboy is willing to buy it, whatever…

Kiss was doing this back in the Stone Age.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

PostSubject: Re: The graphic novel trend   The graphic novel trend Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2021 4:07 pm

I’m not surprised Anthrax has done them. Scott Ian is/was a big comic book guy and Charlie has noodled some cartoon characters here and there.

I actually wouldn’t mind a S.O.D. “Sgt D” graphic novel. Make it brutal and gory!
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: The graphic novel trend   The graphic novel trend Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2021 6:23 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
But seriously, I guess I could understand a graphic novel based on an album if it was a concept record that told a story, but for something like "Among the Living," which is a bunch of unrelated songs, it doesn't make much sense to me.
That's where I'm at.

I also get it, music industry kinda sucks these days, so they are doing different things to get some cash flow. I just think it's kind of lame for an album like Screaming for Vengeance to be turned into a graphic novel. That's my opinion, but if it's what people want then buy them all. I like the knucklebonz statues, I'm sure lots of people would think the same way about those, that I feel about the books. Not pointing fingers and laughing at anyone for liking things, just curious if I'm the only one that thinks sometimes they go to far.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

PostSubject: Re: The graphic novel trend   The graphic novel trend Icon_minitimeSat Dec 25, 2021 12:48 am

Wrecked Neck wrote:
nevermore wrote:

Yeah that one is annoying too, but I guess it makes sense to me more than a graphic novel. Metal has enough childish antics, no need to start making them into comic book hero's and shit now lol

I get that lol. I guess bands have to do whatever trendy thing to generate extra cash.

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39505

PostSubject: Re: The graphic novel trend   The graphic novel trend Icon_minitimeSat Dec 25, 2021 11:58 am

Ha! I wasn't even aware of the graphic novel trend until it was brought up here. Pretty stupid trend if you ask me.

Give me band related beer any day. They make cool decorations in the man cave in the end.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3167

PostSubject: Re: The graphic novel trend   The graphic novel trend Icon_minitimeSat Dec 25, 2021 7:11 pm

Last graphic novel I had in my hands was a Ann Rice book.
The gal I was seeing was into Rice’s writing. I was too. Lol.
But I have seen puzzles - of album covers appearing. Love that idea.
Isn’t King Diamond writing a graphic novel book ?
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

PostSubject: Re: The graphic novel trend   The graphic novel trend Icon_minitimeSat Dec 25, 2021 9:19 pm

Glower wrote:

The King Diamond graphic novel is already out.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: The graphic novel trend   The graphic novel trend Icon_minitimeSat Dec 25, 2021 10:06 pm

Glower wrote:

Did you hear Anne Rice died about a week ago? Kinda sad. I read about five of her vampire books, and a couple about the witches family. She really was a good writer.

Glower likes this post

Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3167

PostSubject: Re: The graphic novel trend   The graphic novel trend Icon_minitimeSun Dec 26, 2021 7:31 pm

No. I didn’t know Anne Rice died ! Her books were great.
She was 80. That’s up there.
Buried now in New Orleans….a family mosque of some sort.
So glad she turned to God / Christ around 2000 or so.
Her mom died of alcoholism when Anne was 15.
Her husband died at age 60.
She has two kids….Michele died at 5 years of age.
Christopher is 43 and a novelist.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The graphic novel trend   The graphic novel trend Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The graphic novel trend
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Of Unsound Mind-
Jump to: