Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

The 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Empty
PostSubject: The 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2021 9:51 pm

MassMutual East Division

Pittsburgh Penguins (1) vs. New York Islanders (4)
Predicted by many to make a decline in the standings at the start of the 2020-21 season, the Pittsburgh Penguins instead finished on top of the MassMutual East Division. They face the New York Islanders in the opening round for the sixth time in franchise history. The Islanders have won four of the five previous meetings, including the most recent in 2019 (the only series Pittsburgh won against the Islanders was in the opening round back in 2013). Pittsburgh won six of the eight regular season meetings, but the Islanders have the better playoff history against the Penguins.
Prediction: Pittsburgh in seven games.

Washington Capitals (2) vs. Boston Bruins (3)
After winning their first ever Stanley Cup in 2018, the Washington Capitals have not won a playoff series. In 2019, they were upset by the Carolina Hurricanes in the opening round in seven games. They only lasted five games in their Eastern Conference Quarter-Final series against the New York Islanders in 2020. The Bruins have been one of the league's top teams thus far this century; they won a Stanley Cup in 2011, made Stanley Cup Final appearances in 2013 and 2019, and won the President's Trophy in 2014 and 2020. The Bruins and Capitals played against each other eight times during the regular season; Boston won four, and Washington won the other four.
Prediction: Boston in seven games.

Discover Central Division

Carolina Hurricanes (1) vs. Nashville Predators (4)
The Carolina Hurricanes locked up their third consecutive playoff berth, thus making it the first time they've managed to make the playoffs three straight years since moving to Carolina from Hartford in 1997 (during their tenure as the Hartford Whalers, the franchise made seven straight appearances between 1986 and 1992). They face the Nashville Predators in the opening round of the playoffs. This will be the first playoff meeting between the two teams. Nashville struggled in the first half of the season, but came alive in the second half to secure the last playoff berth in the Discover Central Division. Carolina won six of the eight regular season meetings.
Prediction: Carolina in five games.

Florida Panthers (2) vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (3)
The Florida Panthers had their best regular season in franchise history during the shortened season, and they face the defending Stanley Cup Champions, the Tampa Bay Lightning, in the battle of Florida in the opening round. This will be the first playoff meeting between the two franchises. Florida won four of the seven regular season meetings against the Lightning, but the Lightning have the upper hand in playoff experience, hands down.
Prediction: Tampa Bay in six games.

Honda West Division

Colorado Avalanche (1) vs. St. Louis Blues (4)
The Colorado Avalanche finished the 2020-21 NHL season with the best record in the NHL. They are towards the top of everybody's list when it comes to strong Stanley Cup contenders. They face the St. Louis Blues in the opening round of the playoffs. St. Louis have many pieces left from their Stanley Cup Championship in 2019, however, so they do have experience. In the lone playoff meeting between the two teams was in 2001, when Colorado defeated St. Louis in the third round of the playoffs; the Avalanche went on to win the Stanley Cup that year. Colorado won five of the eight regular season meetings against St. Louis.
Prediction: Colorado in five games.

Vegas Golden Knights (2) vs. Minnesota Wild (3)
The Minnesota Wild and Vegas Golden Knights meet in the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first time. Vegas was the stronger team during the regular season, but Minnesota won five of the eight regular season meetings between the two teams. Neither team has won the Stanley Cup; Vegas made the Stanley Cup Final in 2018, losing to the Washington Capitals in five games. Minnesota has only gone as far as the Conference Final; their lone appearance in the Conference Finals was in 2003, when they lost to Anaheim in four straight.
Prediction: Vegas in six games.

Bell North Division

Toronto Maple Leafs (1) vs. Montréal Canadiens (4)
Considered hockey's greatest rivalry ever, Toronto and Montréal face each other in the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first time since 1979. Toronto managed to finish in first place in their division for the first time since 2000. However, they have not won a playoff series since 2004. They face Montréal, who have not won a Stanley Cup since 1993 (Toronto has the longest drought between Stanley Cups, as they have not won since 1967), but have had better playoff luck so far this century. Montréal has not made the Stanley Cup Final since their last Stanley Cup win, but have made the Conference Finals twice since Toronto last won a playoff series, going to the Conference Finals in 2010 and 2014. Toronto won seven of the ten regular season meetings.
Prediction: Montréal in seven games.

Edmonton Oilers (2) vs. Winnipeg Jets (3)
Edmonton is considered to be a team people have eyes on, as they have hockey's biggest star at the moment in Connor McDavid. McDavid managed to score over 100 points in the shortened regular season, averaging nearly two points a game. The Oilers face the Winnipeg Jets in the opening round of the playoffs. The Oilers play the current Jets incarnation for the first time ever; they did face the previous incarnation of the Jets (who moved to Phoenix in 1996 and are now known as the Arizona Coyotes) six times in the playoffs, winning every time. Edmonton won seven of the nine regular season meetings. Winnipeg will want to step up their defensive game, and will rely on the goaltending skills of Connor Hellebuyck if they want to advance.
Prediction: Edmonton in six games.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: The 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2021 11:14 pm

Is this gonna be the sports section thread?
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: The 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2021 4:58 pm

Penguins beat the Islanders in 7. Two stacked teams. The Islanders made some moves at the deadline and they are the defending division champs. They have Lamoriello, they have Trotz. The Penguins have Crosby. It's going to go seven games, because it has to. Gut feeling says Pens, but this is a close one.

Capitals beat the Bruins in 6. Caps I think are weak, but the Bruins also aren't the greatest team around. As is Tuukka Rask even going to show up this time? They added Taylor Hall, but that's not going to be enough. Caps have better material and are built more for the playoffs. This could even be a sweep. Caps can't match the Penguins or the Islanders though, in the second round.

Predators beat the Hurricanes in 6. Preds are going to be one of my dark horse picks. They've got a real good roster. They just need to get everyone playing well and it's a damn tough team to beat four times. Hurricanes impressed everyone in the regular season, but I still don't believe they're contenders. Almost a coin toss series.

Lightning beat the Panthers in 5. Too bad for the Panthers and Coach Q, but the Bolts are a powerhouse team and will run through the Panthers. I don't believe in Barkov. I didn't want to predict it's a sweep, but it's going to be a sweep. Or five games. 

Blues over Avalanche in 7. I don't know who is going to win, but it will go seven games. And OT in game seven. Probably an own goal decides it. Blues aren't going to win past this round, but they are fired up and will be an incredibly tough team to beat four times. Avs will get shocked. They might pull through though, and if they do, watch out. Avs are a Cup favourite of mine. But the Blues are the other dark horse favourite of mine, and I won't bet against them this round. St.Louis takes it in a shocker.

Golden Knights over Wild in 4. I had to put one sweep in here. I don't really think it's going to be only four games, but the Knights are just too good. That team is stacked. The Wild are behind in everything. Offense, defense, goaltending. How do they win even one game?

Canadiens over Maple Leafs in 7. This is the series everyone is waiting to see. The first Habs-Leafs classic in my lifetime, and the 16th time it ever happens. Stuff of legends. The last one was 1979. I was born in '80. This just has to go seven games, because I want it to go seven games. And the Leafs, while the favourites and with a very good roster, always find a way to lose. Habs will take it. I mean, the Habs suck. They have nothing. No chance the next round. But they will beat the Leafs.

Jets over Oilers in 5 games. The Oilers have Connor McDavid, they have Leon Draisaitl, they have good forwards and d-men, and even Mike Smith has been playing great. But Mike Smith is not a good goalie. He will fail. You can't win with Mike Smith. And the Jets have Hellebyuck. The best goalie in the world. That kind of difference in the single most important position in hockey is impossible to overcome. Jets will advance. And probably win the North Division.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: The 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2021 2:41 am

I’ll just take a wild guess and go with the Golden Knights.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3175

PostSubject: Re: The 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2021 6:28 pm

What a cool NHL breakdown !
I’m a Bruins fan. All 3 games were all nail-biters.
Washington has gone with 3 different goalies too.
I do miss Chara not being on the team.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3175

PostSubject: Re: The 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2021 3:43 am

Bruins win and move on !
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: The 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2021 9:58 am

I almost nailed the Jets-Oilers series. But the Bruins surprised me.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: The 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2021 9:43 pm

The Leafs crash and burn, yet again. Shouldn't even be surprised anymore. They just seem to always find new ways to lose.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: The 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2021 2:33 pm

Here's something funny about last night's game between Toronto and Montréal.

Montréal goaltender Carey Price wears #31.

He faced 31 shots last night.

The final score of the game last night was 3-1.

Montréal came back from a 3-1 series deficit to eliminate Toronto.

The deciding game of the series took place on May 31.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Of Unsound Mind-
Jump to: