Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chastain

Go down 
+2
mc666
Required Fields
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28438

Chastain Empty
PostSubject: Chastain   Chastain Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2007 5:09 pm

Since I really dig CJSS, I was wondering what the best album by Chastain is? I have only heard a few songs off of different albums, which album should I check out first?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

Chastain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chastain   Chastain Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2007 7:58 pm

I've been a huge Chastain fan for years!

STAY AWAY from their 90s stuff with Kate French. They tried to take it in a more modern direction here - and it pales compared to the stuff they did in the 80s with Leather Leone.

Their best albums are all their albums with Leather, starting with their debut "Mystery of Illusion" up until the last album with her, "For Those Who Dare". All 5 of these albums are STELLAR! and all of them are underrated.

However, "Mystery of Illusion" being their debut is probably the weakest of the bunch. It's also VERY hard to find. I paid almost $40.00 on ebay for it.

The other stuff has been reissued and is much easier to find.

I would rank these albums as such:

1. Voice of the Cult (this is their masterpiece and it's pretty easy to pick up. Go to Leviathan records website or even ebay)

2. The 7th of Never (this is also a very good album, many fans claim this as their best)

3. Ruler of the Wasteland (this was their second album and there is a marked improvement over their first)

4. For Those Who Dare (this was sadly, the last album with original singer Leather. She was sorely missed, as new singer Kate French just couldn't compare. This was the most commercial album out of the bunch with Leather. Many fans claim this as their worst of this era, but I really like it still. Very straightforward classic metal, with a more commercial touch.)

5. Mystery of Illusion (very rare first album - good - but not recommended as a starting point. This is an album for fans only. It's pretty raw)

Hope that helps! Let me know what you think of their stuff. I'm the biggest Chastain fan I know.

🤘
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Chastain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chastain   Chastain Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2007 9:06 pm

i like the Kate French stuff alot as well. probably as much as the Leather era.

Chastain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chastain   Chastain Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2007 11:54 pm

I like the Kate French era too. But IMO it just doesn't hold a candle to their first era.

In all fairness to Kate, it's not the vocals that aren't as great. It's the songs. It's like David T. was trying to stay up with the times in the 90s. It's still metal and not grunge - but you almost get the feeling he's getting 'as close to' grunge as he can ... while staying true to metal.

Their 80s stuff is just straight out shred classic metal. No punches pulled. Perhaps if I had first been exposed to their 90s stuff, I wouldn't feel this way, but I discovered Chastain with their 3rd album, "The 7th of Never" and so this period is very special to me.

I have heard that their latest with Kate French, "In an Outrage" is a bit of a return to their 80s form. I have yet to pick up the album though as I still have a sour taste in my mouth from their previous 3 albums.
Back to top Go down

Chastain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chastain   Chastain Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 12:13 am

blackieboy wrote:
I've been a huge Chastain fan for years!

STAY AWAY from their 90s stuff with Kate French. They tried to take it in a more modern direction here - and it pales compared to the stuff they did in the 80s with Leather Leone.
I disagree. It may not be the same as the old stuff, or as good, but I really think that latter albums are solid. And yes, In An Outrage is excellent and more of an old school album, but still a bit modern.
Back to top Go down

Chastain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chastain   Chastain Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 2:54 am

I've been intending on picking "In an Outrage" up for a while now. Not sure when I'll do it though.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

Chastain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chastain   Chastain Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 8:33 am

I like VOICE OF THE CULT and FOR THOSE WHO DARE best. Leather Leone has a great voice, she sounds like a p*ssed off Pat Benatar.

The Chastian albums with Kate singing aren't all that bad but I prefer the ones with Leather on vox. I prefer Kate's current band VAINGLORY over her Chastain stuff.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Chastain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chastain   Chastain Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 8:42 am

DAVID CHASTAIN made magic music, with CJSS, CHASTAIN or under DAVID T.CHASTAIN.
My personal fave albums by CHASTAIN are:
RULER OF THE WASTELAND
THE 7TH OF NEVER
but to be honest like them all very much. KATE was not very good in SICK SOCIETY, but IN AN OUTRAGE is a killer album.
Check out VAINGLORY too.
Back to top Go down

Chastain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chastain   Chastain Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 1:00 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I like VOICE OF THE CULT and FOR THOSE WHO DARE best. Leather Leone has a great voice, she sounds like a p*ssed off Pat Benatar.

The Chastian albums with Kate singing aren't all that bad but I prefer the ones with Leather on vox. I prefer Kate's current band VAINGLORY over her Chastain stuff.

I haven't heard Vainglory yet.

I agree about Leather sounding like a pissed off Pat Benatar though. Also, I've heard her compared to a female Bruce Dickinson. I also agree with this.
Back to top Go down

Chastain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chastain   Chastain Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 2:48 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I prefer Kate's current band VAINGLORY over her Chastain stuff.
Gotta agree with this. 🤘
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Chastain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chastain   Chastain Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 3:08 pm

Has anybody heard Leather Leone's solo album from the late '80s? I believe it was called SHOCK WAVES. Is it worth seeking out?

Whatever happened to her anyway? This thread inspired me to dust off the Chastain CDs today and she's totally kicking my ass on VOICE OF THE CULT right now 🤘
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Chastain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chastain   Chastain Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 3:38 pm

For some reason, I can hear Blackie Lawless influences in Leather Leone's voice; she could be labeled a female version of Blackie, if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25863

Chastain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chastain   Chastain Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 5:46 pm

I need to get more of the earlier Chastain and CJSS stuff.

Freddy, I have Leather's Shock Waves cd and it's well worth seeking out.
Back to top Go down

Chastain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chastain   Chastain Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 7:13 pm

Required Fields wrote:
For some reason, I can hear Blackie Lawless influences in Leather Leone's voice; she could be labeled a female version of Blackie, if you ask me.

YES!!! I can see that totally!!!

Leather's solo album is WELL worth seeking out! I don't currently have a copy (but it's on my wishlist).

Also, if you are fortunate enough to find it, Leather had a band before she joined Chastain - back in the early 80s called Malibu Barbie. VERY VERY good NWoBHM sounding stuff with female vocals. It's not near the majesty of "Voice of the Cult" era Chastain, but if you're a die hard fan (like me) - tis very worth looking into. Good luck finding it though. I picked up a rare copy on ebay years ago for about $35.00. Now I don't know what it would cost. They didn't really have any formal albums. Just independent demo stuff.

Also, David T. Chastain was in a band called Spike before starting Chastain. They were like a blues hard rock band. Pretty good stuff, but for fans only. I tracked down their one album (I don't think they have any more than this).
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Chastain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chastain   Chastain Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 9:52 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Has anybody heard Leather Leone's solo album from the late '80s? I believe it was called SHOCK WAVES. Is it worth seeking out?

Whatever happened to her anyway? This thread inspired me to dust off the Chastain CDs today and she's totally kicking my ass on VOICE OF THE CULT right now 🤘

I recall reading she became a vet sometime after she left Chastain.
Back to top Go down

Chastain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chastain   Chastain Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 9:53 am

actually spike has for sure and 2 singles(i don't remember if they have more)....i was given them from david many years ago....i don't remember them......i still laugh when i read his letters he sent me back then that he could never find a decent male singer in US and had to settle with leather.... Shocked
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

Chastain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chastain   Chastain Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 11:13 am

What's a vet?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Chastain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chastain   Chastain Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 11:14 am

sovdat wrote:
What's a vet?

Short for "veterinarian." An animal doctor.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chastain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chastain   Chastain Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chastain
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: