Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Death of the Compact Disc

Go down 
+20
mc666
nevermore
mikeinfla
Runicen
Eyesore
Hadley
scottmitchell74
ZombieHavoc
Gilbert
anthrax_fan
tohostudios
Troublezone
Temple of Blood
Glower
Witchfinder
corplhicks
Boris2008
Lari
Fat Freddy
the sentinel
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2020 8:59 am

Glower wrote:
I’ve seen digipak - never knew what it meant.
I have stayed away from it.
And when it says CD- R  what’s it mean ?
I don’t buy that either.

CD-R means "rewriteable" as in the disc can be copied over, much like a cassette back in the day. I know Amazon is using the CD-R discs for their MOD "made on demand" titles. I have an Overkill and a Chastain (2on1) and they sound fine; but the packaging sucks.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2020 9:03 am

Hadley wrote:
The weird thing about cassettes were that with vinyl and cd you could skip right to the track you wanted, however, with tapes you had to fast forward to it and even then you had to make sure you pressed stop just when the song started.

IIRC, a few of the high end tape decks back in the day could skip to the next song and I believe one of my Walkman's did it too.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6319

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2020 10:22 am

the sentinel wrote:
Glower wrote:
I don’t buy that either.

CD-R means "rewriteable" as in the disc can be copied over, much like a cassette back in the day. I know Amazon is using the CD-R discs for their MOD "made on demand" titles. I have an Overkill and a Chastain (2on1) and they sound fine; but the packaging sucks.
CD-R can only be written once. The R stands for Recordable. Data gets burnt to the disc.

A CD-RW is a rewritable. You can write over and over. Also more expensive.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2020 10:03 pm

Lari wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
Glower wrote:
I don’t buy that either.

CD-R can only be written once. The R stands for Recordable. Data gets burnt to the disc.

A CD-RW is a rewritable. You can write over and over. Also more expensive.

My bad. Thanks, Lari. Smile
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2020 5:27 pm

For me personally, the biggest hit was owning 2 vehicles that no longer have CD players in them.

At home and at work, I listened to music through a computer, mostly MP3’s ripped from my collection and occasionally streaming on Spotify. The CD player in my car was the last place I actually played a cd. When that option went away, it really made me take a good hard look and think do I need to buy this cd to rip it once on the computer then shelve it indefinitely?

Now nearly 4 months into the new year and I’ve only made 5 purchases. Old habits die hard so I still see myself buying a physical copy now and then, but buying like the old days is done.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9872

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2020 5:55 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
For me personally, the biggest hit was owning 2 vehicles that no longer have CD players in them.

At home and at work, I listened to music through a computer, mostly MP3’s ripped from my collection and occasionally streaming on Spotify. The CD player in my car was the last place I actually played a cd. When that option went away, it really made me take a good hard look and think do I need to buy this cd to rip it once on the computer then shelve it indefinitely?

Now nearly 4 months into the new year and I’ve only made 5 purchases. Old habits die hard so I still see myself buying a physical copy now and then, but buying like the old days is done.

It is a bad year for music shopping. I used to buy much more, but given the current circumstances, have reduced my purchases to the minimum.

I still managed to buy the new Demons & Wizzards and Ozzy cds online this evening.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2020 7:56 pm

I have probably bought about the same number of records as CD's so far this year. And a few cassettes too. Ha ha. I have kind of gone off the want list and been picking up things that are either a good deal or something that strikes my fancy at that moment. With almost all of the record stores being closed (I think the one small local I frequent may be forced to shut down this week) due to the virus, I think my purchases are going to have to be online for the next few weeks/ months at least. I know the Walmarts are staying open cuz of the groceries, but there are only a few albums there that I would plunk down the money for, namely a couple of Metallica and a couple of Kiss releases. The CD section is pretty non existent. And what is there is basically pop and country that doesn't interest me in the least or greatest hits stuff that I either already own or don't want.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17062

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2022 1:08 pm

007 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Death of the Compact Disc
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4