Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH

Go down 
+18
glassprison
James B.
manny
Lari
Wrecked Neck
Required Fields
corplhicks
Sword Of The Heretic
the sentinel
mikeinfla
Glower
Leatherface
nevermore
Thrasher73
Gilbert
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37557

R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Empty
PostSubject: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 4:14 pm

Canadian news media is reporting that Rush's Neil Peart has died at the age of 67.

R.I.P. sir!! (bows head)

R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Rush-in-concert-philadelphia

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/neil-peart-obit-1.5422806

Neil Peart, the drummer of iconic Canadian band Rush, has died at age 67.

The influential musician and lyricist died Tuesday in Santa Monica, Calif., after having been diagnosed with brain cancer, according to a statement issued Friday by family spokesperson Elliot Mintz.

His death was confirmed by Meg Symsyk, a media spokesperson for the progressive rock trio comprising Peart, Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17044

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 4:27 pm

Wow! That’s sad...

Now we know why he adamantly didn’t want to continue with Rush.

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 4:38 pm

First his wife and child died, now this??

Poor guy. Very tragic!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 4:40 pm

Quote :
Wow! That’s sad...

Apparently he'd been battling the disease quietly for the past three years.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 4:43 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
Wow! That’s sad...

Apparently he'd been battling the disease quietly for the past three years.

I’m afraid for Eddie Van Halen now.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 4:56 pm

Apparently his common law wife had also died from cancer.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/neil-peart-rush-obituary-936221/
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9854

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 4:59 pm

Rip. Sad news...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 5:05 pm

Rush's statement, via their official FB:

It is with broken hearts and the deepest sadness that we must share the terrible news that on Tuesday our friend, soul brother and band mate of over 45 years, Neil, has lost his incredibly brave three and a half year battle with brain cancer (Glioblastoma). We ask that friends, fans, and media alike understandably respect the family’s need for privacy and peace at this extremely painful and difficult time. Those wishing to express their condolences can choose a cancer research group or charity of their choice and make a donation in Neil Peart's name.

Rest in peace brother.

Neil Peart September 12, 1952 - January 7, 2020

Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 5:55 pm

Sad to hear, R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39186

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 6:44 pm

Well that sucks.
R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25645

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 7:27 pm

Terrible news! Such a tremendous loss for music. R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18833

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 7:55 pm

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 8:36 pm

I never got into RUSH - but I have heard - for decades - he was the best Smile
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 8:47 pm

Wow a shock to me I had no idea he was Ill. I need to go play Hemispheres now
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 9:26 pm

I honestly had no idea he was even ill. I opened my instagram on my phone when I left work and saw this. Shocked me. I will certainly send a prayer skyward for him tonight. RIP, to a great musician and man.
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 601

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 11:52 pm

RIP, Mr. Peart.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2020 12:25 am

I have no idea what to say even though I want to say so much. Except RIP.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28367

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2020 12:54 am

R.I.P. Neil Peart. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2020 1:52 am

Rush is the band that sent me on my way to the metalhead I became. Neil Peart is the drummer that made me want to play the drums. I remember hearing his solo on Exit Stage Left, and it gave me goose bumps. I remember hearing Witch Hunt and being amazed at his drumming in it. Not because it was so technical, but because the song is pretty slow, but he just goes off in parts that didn't seem natural. His lyrics are top notch with deep meanings, and a poetry you just don't find in many bands. By far one of the most talented musicians on the planet has passed away. RIP and thank you for the memories, and the great music.

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6305

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2020 4:56 am

Wonderful drummer, musician. Thanks for the great music, Neil! Lucky for us he left behind a big fat discography.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2020 5:50 am

Lari wrote:
Wonderful drummer, musician. Thanks for the great music, Neil! Lucky for us he left behind a big fat discography.

True. I will be spinning lots of Rush next week in my car.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2020 5:54 am

I am shocked and saddened, the man was an incredible talent, and Rush was one of the bands that made up the soundtrack of my youth, actually my entire life, rest in power, Neil.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2020 7:37 am

I don't claim to be a Rush expert by any means -- I own maybe a dozen albums, max, and actually I didn't really start digging deeper into their catalog till maybe ten or twelve years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't say I ever disliked Rush  -- I liked the stuff that got radio/MTV play in the '80s just fine, and I had numerous high school and college friends who were absolutely obsessed with Rush, so Lord knows I heard a lot of them growing up  - but for whatever reason, I was always a casual fan, at best. For many years, I thought that owning Moving Pictures, 2112 and the Chronicles greatest-hits comp meant I had all the Rush I was ever gonna need.  

...I'm not even sure when or why Rush suddenly started to "click" with me in the early '00s, but when they did, they hit hard. For the past few years I've been snapping up their CDs whenever I come across them in my travels. Of course, when I listen to stuff like Permanent Waves or A Farewell to Kings now, I find myself wishing that I could reach back in time and smack my younger self, like "Why the hell weren't you all over this sh*t when it was current?"

...so anyway, I was walking the dog last night with my headphones on, listening to all of my Rush stuff on shuffle (thank you Google Play Music) and this lyric from "Nobody's Hero" (off of Counterparts) jumped out at me and sent a chill up my spine.

"As the years went by we drifted apart
But when I heard that you were gone I felt a shadow cross my heart"

...that pretty much sums up how I felt when I heard the news about Neil Peart yesterday.

I have a feeling I'll be filling a lot of gaps in my Rush collection over the next few months.

Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 601

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2020 1:07 pm

I went back and played "The Garden", which is the last song on their final album. If you've never heard it, I would encourage you to give it a listen.

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2020 2:25 pm

I got into Rush after purchasing Counterparts back when it was released, and immediately fell in love with the album.

I was shocked later, when I read reviews that this was the worst in their catalogue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH   R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

R.I.P. Neil Peart of RUSH
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next