Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!

Go down 
+31
MetalGuy71
anthrax_fan
Witchfinder
metalinmyveins
SideShowDisaSter
Lari
Temple of Blood
John Madden
the sentinel
ZombieHavoc
Citanul
Boris2008
Rami Airola
Wrecked Neck
glassprison
Thrasher73
scottmitchell74
DallasBlack
Hadley
Troublezone
Eyesore
Glower
Mglaffas81
Required Fields
BearOnUnicycle
Gilbert
tohostudios
James B.
Fat Freddy
corplhicks
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2020 8:40 am

mwtalinmyveins, made me think of this one with the mention of Cherie Currie. Not only do I agree with him, but I feel as though people bring her up to give themselves some sort of street cred as to the breadth and depth of their knowledge of heavy music and it's early days; and if you don't nod in agreement then you are some how a poser. I don't feel like the Runaways were really that important to the story of Rock and Roll and view them as a one hit wonder in Japan.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2020 8:41 am

Gilbert wrote:
Despite being a Kiss fan, i consider them to be very overrated. You only need a good compilation of some of their best tunes in your collection.

Same goes for Aerosmith.

I disagree here, for both bands. But I get the idea.

I actually feel that way about Priest. I once owned most of the CDs, but after selling my whole collection, and now rebuilding my CD collection, I can't really justify rebuying all the JP albums. I pretty much only need Sad Wings, Painkiller and then a own homemade compilation, that is probably 2 to 3 discs worth, of my favorite songs. So much filler in their catalog for me.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37614

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2020 11:06 am

Rob Halford's "Two" album is surprisingly, not totally unlistenable.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9872

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2020 12:13 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Man, i never even tried to listen to this album. I should.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2020 1:12 pm

Gilbert wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I picked up a cheap used copy over the weekend just for the sheer hell of it.

Don't get me wrong, it's not something I would spin on a regular basis, but it's not as horrendous as I'd been expecting, either.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2020 3:20 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I picked up a cheap used copy over the weekend just for the sheer hell of it.

Don't get me wrong, it's not something I would spin on a regular basis, but it's not as horrendous as I'd been expecting, either.  

Heard a couple of tracks earlier tonight. Nothing groundbreaking but not atrocious either.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2020 7:22 pm

the sentinel wrote:
mwtalinmyveins, made me think of this one with the mention of Cherie Currie. Not only do I agree with him, but I feel as though people bring her up to give themselves some sort of street cred as to the breadth and depth of their knowledge of heavy music and it's early days; and if you don't nod in agreement then you are some how a poser. I don't feel like the Runaways were really that important to the story of Rock and Roll and view them as a one hit wonder in Japan.

I actually like The Runaways, but Cherie was easily the weakest link! The bands best album, was one without her on vocals "Waitin' For the Night". They were much heavier and Joan was a much better fit as lead vocalist. The ridiculous amount of love she was getting, prior to the very overrated biopic "The Runaways" from the likes of Duff McKagan and others of his ilk, was a joke. She had a bad to awful voice and for all intents and purposes was a no talent.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2020 8:49 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

I actually like The Runaways, but Cherie was easily the weakest link! The bands best album, was one without her on vocals "Waitin' For the Night". They were much heavier and Joan was a much better fit as lead vocalist. The ridiculous amount of love she was getting, prior to the very overrated biopic "The Runaways" from the likes of Duff McKagan and others of his ilk, was a joke. She had a bad to awful voice and for all intents and purposes was a no talent.

Agreed again, brother. It's why I own more Joan Jett stuff than I do Runaway's material.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2020 8:52 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

I'll have to give that one another spin as it's been years since I last threw it on the old player. I have always ranked that one along with Lynch Mob's Smoke This album as I only own it cuz I am a completest.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 9:42 pm

I know it's because of my age and the time of my formative years in Metal, but I love a lot of albums from some of the Metal elite from '86 or so that usually get slagged as sellout albums by those who were already long time fans

Turbo
Ultimate Sin
Sacred Heart
Somewhere in Time
To Hell With the Devil
Rock the Nations
Theatre of Pain

I was 12 in March of 1986 and I was just discovering a lot of the Rock and Roll royalty and I just couldn't get enough. I loved it then, love it now, and always will!
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2020 3:18 pm

Armored Saint's debut (the only album I own) is the most generic, forgettable release by a non-obscure, classic metal band I have ever heard.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2020 4:35 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
Armored Saint's debut (the only album I own) is the most generic, forgettable release by a non-obscure, classic metal band I have ever heard.

Ha!

I believe you.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2020 9:03 pm

Actually I find most of Armored Saint's work to be compositionaly bland. Bush's voice--yes, it really is a pretty awesome timbre--wears thin after some time due to a lack of dynamic range and a loss for consistent melody. He kind of wanders all over the map, and it's not a very big map. And the guitar work has always been stuck in second gear, limping through fundamental riffs with the obligatory "deedily-deedily-dee" lead with a non-descript style. Incredibly average.

BUT.

What makes their music more than magical is the strength of Joey Vera and Gonzo Sandoval, giving Armored Saint a tight punch in the rhythm section, taking the mediocrity and dressing it up with class. They're talented, and I mean TALENTED musicians, and Vera's bass style is on fire, which is what I think turns such ordinary songs into powerhouse smokers, as well as giving them this push-pull tension where half the band is struggling to keep up with the other half, resulting in undeniable energy and UNLIMITED POWER!!!

Sorry. Been watching a lot of Star Wars.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2020 9:46 pm

You can't pluralize "Lone."

Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2020 9:11 am

I didn't label it the most generic, forgettable release there is - just what I have personally heard - at least compared to what I was expecting, based on their reputation - I decided to start from scratch and put their debut on my Christmas wish list, but after giving it repeated listens for weeks, I can't say I'm that keen on checking them out further, at least not by buying physical music.

PS: Obviously, I meant their debut was the only Armored Saint album I own - screw you guys Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2020 9:20 am

corplhicks wrote:
Actually I find most of Armored Saint's work to be compositionaly bland. Bush's voice--yes, it really is a pretty awesome timbre--wears thin after some time due to a lack of dynamic range and a loss for consistent melody. He kind of wanders all over the map, and it's not a very big map. And the guitar work has always been stuck in second gear, limping through fundamental riffs with the obligatory "deedily-deedily-dee" lead with a non-descript style. Incredibly average.

Couldn't have put it better myself, as that is pretty much the impression I'm left with - as for the rhythm section, I can't say I've noticed it much - I have no doubt that the band has some talented musicians, I am at least in no position to judge that - I just find the songs I've heard very boring.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2020 10:44 am

Not sure how unpopular that would be rated, but Helstar's music is generally extremely hard to digest.

I still love listening to their albums though.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17062

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2020 6:30 pm

I enjoy Sabbath with Tony Martin as much as the albums with Dio.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2020 11:51 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I enjoy Sabbath with Tony Martin as much as the albums with Dio.

I personally enjoy the Tony Martin releases much more. When in the mood for Sabbath, I tend to go back to those the most.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2020 10:39 am

As long as you hit 'stop' before that godawful version of "When You Wish Upon a Star," Gene Simmons' 1978 solo album isn't nearly as bad as its reputation would have you believe.

Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2020 10:42 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
As long as you hit 'stop' before that godawful version of "When You Wish Upon a Star," Gene Simmons' 1978 solo album isn't nearly as bad as its reputation would have you believe.

It's grown on me a bit recently.

I feel like I could make a really solid 1978 KISS album by culling about 9 tracks from the Paul and Gene albums.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 10:56 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:

There are a few good tracks, but Delirious Nomad is far more memorable. Their crowning achievement, in my opine, is Symbol of Salvation. That album just rocks from beginning to end!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 10:58 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

It's grown on me a bit recently.

I feel like I could make a really solid 1978 KISS album by culling about 9 tracks from the Paul and Gene albums.

I agree with that assessment.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 11:11 am

I don't believe that Grunge music "killed" Metal; rather it was the coked out record execs that had distilled it down to a formula for success that was no longer as profitable as it once was. So, they pushed Nirvana, AIC, And Pearl Jam on the music buying public rather than Bon Jovi, Poison, and Warrant. The shadiness of the record biz goes back a long ways and reaches into all genres of music. My local record shop owner once told me a tale of a tiny radio station in Tenessee playing the same Reba McEntire song non stop from 2-5am for a few weeks straight to get the song enough plays to be called a number one hit. Just my own conspiracy theory, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 12:42 pm

Meliah Rage's later albums (as of Masquerade) are somewhat boring and not so memorable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!
Page 6 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next