Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mad Magazine to cease publication

Go down 
+4
Fat Freddy
Wrecked Neck
mikeinfla
8 posters
AuthorMessage
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Mad Magazine to cease publication Empty
PostSubject: Mad Magazine to cease publication   Mad Magazine to cease publication Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 4:10 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/04/media/mad-magazine-cease-publication-trnd/index.html

Once a cultural touchstone, Mad Magazine is halting the publication of new content and vanishing from newsstands.

The seminal humor publication will no longer be available on newsstands after its August issue, according to a person familiar with the matter.

After that, issues will be available only via comic book stores and subscriptions, the source said.

The source indicated that issues after No. 10 of its current volume will reprint earlier material with new covers. However, the magazine will continue to publish its end-of-year special, books and special collections.

The revered satirical publication was founded in 1952 as a comic book. In 1955, it switched to a magazine format.

Former Mad Editor Allie Goertz, who resigned last month, lamented that there will no longer be new content after issue No. 10.

"MAD is an institution with such a rich history," Goertz tweeted. "It informed just about every comedian and writer I (and probably you) look up to."
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Mad Magazine to cease publication   Mad Magazine to cease publication Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 4:38 pm

Well at least they will still be around. I used to read that magazine all the time, but haven't picked one up in over a decade. Maybe I'll change that soon.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Mad Magazine to cease publication   Mad Magazine to cease publication Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 5:28 pm

Heard about this last night, definite bummer even tho I haven't read MAD in ages. I read it pretty religiously in my pre-teen and teen years (circa 78-83 or 84). I can definitely credit MAD for shaping my cynical, sarcastic sense of humor. R.I.P. MAD!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Mad Magazine to cease publication   Mad Magazine to cease publication Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 6:09 pm

Longtime comics pro Mark Evanier's feelings on the end of MAD:
https://www.newsfromme.com/2019/07/03/moribund-mad/

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39463

PostSubject: Re: Mad Magazine to cease publication   Mad Magazine to cease publication Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 6:21 pm

That's a shame. I used to read Mad a lot back in the day but haven't bought one, or any magazine for that matter, in quite some time.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Mad Magazine to cease publication   Mad Magazine to cease publication Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 8:23 pm

I too used to read Mad a lot back in the day.  My favorite features were Spy vs Spy and the fold in page but I usually found a bunch of other stuff in there too.  And like everyone else I haven't picked up a copy in literally decades; Mad was pretty much a staple of my teenage years.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17063

PostSubject: Re: Mad Magazine to cease publication   Mad Magazine to cease publication Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 10:01 pm

I haven’t read one in a long time, but it’s sad to see it go...

Another piece of my childhood gone.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28411

PostSubject: Re: Mad Magazine to cease publication   Mad Magazine to cease publication Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 10:25 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I haven’t read one in a long time, but it’s sad to see it go...

What he said.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Mad Magazine to cease publication   Mad Magazine to cease publication Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2019 2:19 am

I had no idea it was still going on!

Ah, the Alien issue, my personal favorite. Had to hide that one under my bed (strict mom et al).
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Mad Magazine to cease publication   Mad Magazine to cease publication Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2019 10:53 am

This was the first issue of MAD I bought off the newsstand as a kid - 1978. I was 8 years old. It was a monthly staple from then on, till I was about 14 or 15 years old.
Cover price: 60 cents (cheap!)

Mad Magazine to cease publication Mad200id

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mad Magazine to cease publication   Mad Magazine to cease publication Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mad Magazine to cease publication
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Of Unsound Mind-
Jump to: