Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I miss Ronnie

Go down 
+14
Troublezone
Thrasher73
mikeinfla
Required Fields
assault_attack
Dark Horseman
Glower
akeldama
Witchfinder
Wrecked Neck
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Gilbert
John Madden
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 272

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2019 11:28 pm

The old coach was listening to some Youtube, In particular, Whitesnake. Then,during auto play.Holy Diver came on. Then Heaven and Hell.Man , I forgot how awesome his voice really was.
   I'm a little weirded out, because the anniversary of his passing is coming up this month on the 16th.(Which I didn't know) Too many times I forget about some of these guys unless somebody brings them up.
   It's coming up on nine years.What's your favorite story or song that Mr.Dio did that impacted your life?
     RIP Ronnie we all miss you.....
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2019 11:59 pm

We all miss Ronnie. Here's one of my all time favourites:

Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2019 2:07 am

Mob Rules changed my life.  But my personal fav Dio story is that on July 4, 1984 someone brought the Last in Line right about the time it dropped.  We had out first "homeless 4th of July party" for all the odd street livers like me.  We cranked that thing for about 8 consecutive hours, drank a few gallons of mad dog, then someone had a van and we all went to see a Star Trek movie.  Being the 4th of July, it was a sell out.  We had to sit in the very front row.  Captain Kirk was 25 feet tall and looking down at me the whole time.  I couldn't take it about half way through and went back to the parking lot to wear off my buzz.

Oh - and when we saw Dio on that tour, I put on eye liner.  The one and only time I ever "went there".  Don't tell anybody.

Last edited by UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS on Sun May 12, 2019 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2019 2:08 am

My favorite story is just how much of a true performer he was. I've always had mad respect for him, because the first time I saw him live, he was singing to a crowd of at least ten thousand in an arena in support of Dream Evil. Never saw him again until the Magica tour, singing in front of maybe five hundred at most in a bar/night club. No frills, just the band. The man gave his all for well over two hours, and it was incredible. Most musicians of his stature probably would have done an hour, and let you know they ain't happy. But Dio was just as good,if not better that night than when I saw him selling out the arena. That to me is class, and I don't think many out there can top him.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2019 8:49 am

Absolute legend. I feel very lucky that I saw him live twice, including one time in a small club.

How awesome was he? Awesome enough that he recorded all of these classics in a row with three separate bands:

Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
Rainbow - Rising
Rainbow - Long Live Rock And Roll
Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell
Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
Dio - Holy Diver
Dio - The Last In Line

No one else even comes close to this run of greatness.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2019 9:43 am

Never seen him live and regret it but I’m grateful for all the great music. Especially:

Rainbow-Rising
Rainbow-Long Live Rock ‘n’ Roll
Black Sabbath-Mob Rules
Black Sabbath-Dehumanizer
Dio-Strange Highways
Dio-Angry Machines
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3175

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2019 9:48 am

I was looking at Long Live Rock and Roll drawing / CD
It kinda reminds me of the back cover of Sabbath’s Heaven and Hell.
Both those release have a certain mood, seasonal vibe about them. Warm October maybe.
Going to listen to Voo Doo today when I hit the various stores ( packy and grocery ha ! )
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2019 10:42 am

No one like him and I don't think there will be. Music has changed too much.
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Absolute legend.  I feel very lucky that I saw him live twice, including one time in a small club.

How awesome was he?  Awesome enough that he recorded all of these classics in a row with three separate bands:

Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
Rainbow - Rising
Rainbow - Long Live Rock And Roll
Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell
Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
Dio - Holy Diver
Dio - The Last In Line

No one else even comes close to this run of greatness.

Amazing!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2019 6:18 pm

Who doesn't? A true legend.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2019 7:15 pm

It's so sad he's gone.

On a strange and unexpected note, I saw a guy wearing a shirt of the first Rainbow album at the grocery store yesterday. I complimented him on it, and told him that the following album is one of my top three albums of the 1970s.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2019 8:01 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
No one like him and I don't think there will be. Music has changed too much.
No need to be sarcastic son! RJD is a first time hall of famer, that's not even disputed. Dio
Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2019 8:02 pm

007 wrote:
Who doesn't? A true legend.
I miss him alot. But his music lives on! Dio
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2019 10:16 pm

Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2019 10:57 pm

He was such a class act and will always be a legend. I remember seeing him with Sabbath and he has such a huge stage presence even though he was a small guy. I love all his projects from Elf to H&H. He’s the true definition of Rock n Roll. He is greatly missed.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 1:58 am

mikeinfla wrote:
Damn, never knew there was music prior to Elf. That's crazy, not a bad song either.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 3:50 am

Another all time classic:

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 4:03 am

Wrecked Neck wrote:
mikeinfla wrote:
Damn, never knew there was music prior to Elf. That's crazy, not a bad song either.

Amazing! It’s hard to imagine a 50s style doo-wop singer evolving into dark metal guy.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 12:07 pm

He might not have been in his prime, but I'm sure glad I got to see him live on the Heaven & Hell tour before he passed.

Long Live Rock'n Ronnie!!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 12:24 pm

I am pretty sure we all miss Ronnie.

Still kickin' myself for not goin' to the Heaven & Hell/Judas Priest/Queensryche tour back around 2007 or 08, whenever it was... a couple of friends who were goin' asked if I wanted "in," but I was not in a good financial place at that time so I sez "I appreciate it, but I'll have to catch'em next time."

...and of course there was no next time. Sad

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 1:55 pm

Anyone else feel that things have been...different since his passing? The whole metal scene seems to be lacking something that his presence brought. Every new release, the tours, even his interviews (one of the BEST interviewees) were all highly anticipated. There was this magic alive and burning as though he were some sort of wizard holding the scene up, keeping things on point and delivering the goods without hesitation. Dude was just on fire.

But now that he's gone, I dunno...really hard to put into words, but does anyone else know what I'm talking about?
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2019 10:33 pm

Since this seems to be devoted to songs of his we like that he sang on, I always loved this song of his.

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3175

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2019 5:08 am

I bought a CD collection of sorts - 5 classic albums - by Dio = for only 15 bucks.
One thing that popped into my mind, while listening, was how sad that he didn't have children.
He did have one adopt child.... ( Danny )
I also read 'somewhere' that Wendy Dio wasn't the most faithful of wives.
Died at 67 - in Houston Texas. Stomach cancer.
Seen photos of his L.A grave - pretty good sized tribute.
His real last name was " Padavona "
I hear he has a cool monument statue - in Bulgaria - of all places. ( the way Bon Scott has )
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2021 12:39 am

Saw this on YouTube and thought it was pretty cool. I've seen the movie, but never saw any behind the scenes stuff. Dude had such a great voice.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2021 12:44 am

I’m gonna start listening to his audiobook soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I miss Ronnie Empty
PostSubject: Re: I miss Ronnie   I miss Ronnie Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I miss Ronnie
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next