Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019

Go down 
+25
akeldama
Wurthless
Wargod
mikeinfla
Addy
glassprison
ZombieHavoc
Boris2008
the sentinel
Witchfinder
SideShowDisaSter
Thelemech
corplhicks
martinsane
Wrecked Neck
MetalGuy71
nevermore
Required Fields
manny
Leatherface
James B.
scottmitchell74
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 26 ... 44  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39182

TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2019 6:27 am

The high winds took out my cable and internet , so I broke out my Lost dvds and started that from the beginning.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2019 12:02 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
"Halloween" (2018)
40 years after surviving Michael Myers' original killing spree, a still-traumatized Laurie Strode must protect her family when the serial killer escapes from the asylum and hunts her down.
...so essentially, this 21st century update of the classic horror series is "Terminator 2," with Laurie in the Sarah Conner role.
The flick didn't suck, but I wasn't as blown away by it as some seemed to be. There are some good gory kills and it's fun to pick out the many affectionate nods and references to past "Halloween" flicks, but overall it was unnecessary.

My sentiments exactly. Wasn't a fan of the awkward humor either ("I got peanut butter on my penis??" What?).

The similarities between this story and T2 are striking the more one thinks about it! Even the character dynamics fall into the same slots.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2019 12:17 pm

Battle Angel: Alita

Huh. Chalk this one up to a curio. What we have here is Robert Rodriguez directing a James Cameron script (that he abandoned in the 90's) based on a popular yet dated anime which is in turn based on a seminal manga. So take that last sentence and run with it, because that's exactly the best way I can describe it. It's got a). Rodriguez's inoffensive comic-book flourish (think Spy Kids), b). Cameron's high-concept sequence-staging coupled with mostly-lame dialogue, c). ideas that EVERYONE is too familiar with at this point due to it being such an early cyberpunk story, and d). goofy anime fun to be had for the most part. The effects are mesmerizing but there's so much story thrown in the pot and little character-building that it all came off as an incomplete mess. Worse is how it sets things up for a sequel with an anti-climax. Felt like a poor-man's overbudget Marvel move, but due to it being dumped in the V-day roster I'll be surprised if a sequel will happen.

Still, it was fun and the lead actress nailed the role. Gotta shamelessly say, the eyes work. C+

p.s. I don't think there are any anime fans here (I'm only a casual passerby with the stuff), but the OVA is up on youtube. Less than an hour (!) and worth a watch, at least to pair with the film.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37557

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2019 12:41 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
"Halloween" (2018)
40 years after surviving Michael Myers' original killing spree, a still-traumatized Laurie Strode must protect her family when the serial killer escapes from the asylum and hunts her down.
...so essentially, this 21st century update of the classic horror series is "Terminator 2," with Laurie in the Sarah Conner role.
The flick didn't suck, but I wasn't as blown away by it as some seemed to be. There are some good gory kills and it's fun to pick out the many affectionate nods and references to past "Halloween" flicks, but overall it was unnecessary.

My sentiments exactly. Wasn't a fan of the awkward humor either ("I got peanut butter on my penis??" What?).

The similarities between this story and T2 are striking the more one thinks about it! Even the character dynamics fall into the same slots.

I think my main problem w/it was that it didn't seem very "Halloween-ish," if that makes sense. OK, there were a couple of scenes of kids running around Haddonfield in costumes (the trio wearing Silver Shamrock masks from "H-III" was a nice touch, points for that) and a brief bit at the high school Halloween dance, but the bulk of the movie happened either on the roads outside of town or at Laurie's armored compound on the outskirts, with nary a jack-o-lantern in sight, so it could've been taking place any night of the year.

Since they were so intent on going the "Laurie as Sarah Connor" route, maybe they should've made her the new owner of the Myers house, which would have put her smack in the middle of town. Make her turn THAT house into her fenced-in, barbed-wired compound, endlessly waiting for Michael to "come home." She could be the "crazy cat lady" in the "weird" house that none of the neighborhood kids will go near, even on Halloween night. Drop the the lame dysfunctional family-drama subplot between Laurie and her daughter/granddaughter and it would've had a much more effective, seasonal feel.

...but unfortunately, the producers chose not to consult me. Sigh. (shrugs)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2019 2:25 pm

Been watching GOT Season 7 and Eddie Murphy's Delirious for new to me stuff

Saw Bohemian Rhapsody
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2019 7:21 pm

Started Cult of Chucky today.  So far I'm enjoying it but I can't wait to see how they square the vicious opening scene with Andy blowtorching Chucky's head with the fact that Chucky somehow had a "Jennifer Tilly lookalike" deliver him to Fiona Dourif in the mental institution.

That opening scene was just brutal to me.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2019 8:59 pm

Forrest Gump
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4596

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2019 10:00 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Battle Angel: Alita

Huh. Chalk this one up to a curio. What we have here is Robert Rodriguez directing a James Cameron script (that he abandoned in the 90's) based on a popular yet dated anime which is in turn based on a seminal manga. So take that last sentence and run with it, because that's exactly the best way I can describe it. It's got a). Rodriguez's inoffensive comic-book flourish (think Spy Kids), b). Cameron's high-concept sequence-staging coupled with mostly-lame dialogue, c). ideas that EVERYONE is too familiar with at this point due to it being such an early cyberpunk story, and d). goofy anime fun to be had for the most part. The effects are mesmerizing but there's so much story thrown in the pot and little character-building that it all came off as an incomplete mess. Worse is how it sets things up for a sequel with an anti-climax. Felt like a poor-man's overbudget Marvel move, but due to it being dumped in the V-day roster I'll be surprised if a sequel will happen.

Still, it was fun and the lead actress nailed the role. Gotta shamelessly say, the eyes work. C+

p.s. I don't think there are any anime fans here (I'm only a casual passerby with the stuff), but the OVA is up on youtube. Less than an hour (!) and worth a watch, at least to pair with the film.

I guessed that would be how the film would end up. Still curious to see it, as I'm a fan of most of the cast. I'm a somewhat casual anime fan, but am pretty specific in the ones I enjoy. Never saw the original Battle Angel Alita anime, nor read the manga.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2019 5:57 am

The Walking Dead
Lost
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2019 1:05 pm

Finally got around to watching 'Bohemian Rhapsody' over the weekend. Very enjoyable. They really nailed the recreation of the Live Aid performance.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2019 6:10 pm

Digging Cult Of Chucky so far.  I like that Curse and Cult upped the gore factor.  I'm 2/3 of the way through Cult and I don't have any idea where it's going because it's had "multiple" surprises so far (those who have seen it will "get" the quotes).

And yeah, in this one Fiona Dourif sure looks a lot like her dad in drag.  I didn't think she looked much like him in Curse but she looks a LOT like him in Cult.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2019 2:37 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
"Halloween" (2018)

I think my main problem w/it was that it didn't seem very "Halloween-ish," if that makes sense. OK, there were a couple of scenes of kids running around Haddonfield in costumes (the trio wearing Silver Shamrock masks from "H-III" was a nice touch, points for that) and a brief bit at the high school Halloween dance, but the bulk of the movie happened either on the roads outside of town or at Laurie's armored compound on the outskirts, with nary a jack-o-lantern in sight, so it could've been taking place any night of the year.

Since they were so intent on going the "Laurie as Sarah Connor" route, maybe they should've made her the new owner of the Myers house, which would have put her smack in the middle of town. Make her turn THAT house into her fenced-in, barbed-wired compound, endlessly waiting for Michael to "come home." She could be the "crazy cat lady" in the "weird" house that none of the neighborhood kids will go near, even on Halloween night. Drop the the lame dysfunctional family-drama subplot between Laurie and her daughter/granddaughter and it would've had a much more effective, seasonal feel.

...but unfortunately, the producers chose not to consult me. Sigh. (shrugs)

Bingo. That is a script that needs to be written. The Haddonfield suburbs were a major component of the original. Here it gets a cameo, practically. And as impressive as that first tracking shot of Michael's kills was, it was obviously there only to please fans. Everything that came after that shot was generic in comparison.

This film was like a very basic slasher that thought it was being unique with a few envelope-pushing moments (the kid, the sorta-twist). I don't think David Gordon Green is very good at directing horror, either. Any of the unique tension that made the first film--hell, I'll even say two films--unique and throat-grabbing isn't present here. I have no idea why the dude behind Your Highness and Pineapple Express was chosen for this movie. There are wild shifts in tone and style, like his hand was unsure the whole time. Adding insult to injury is Danny Mcbride's co-write on the script--you can tell that every joke, tasteless or not, belongs to him. Ugh.

Also the homages were fun but they never really felt very integrated into the script. They were also the best bits, which is saying a lot. Feels like one of those studio moves where they grab a long-abandoned slasher screenplay and rework it into a franchise. In the end, no better and no worse than Halloween 5 or 6, even if more competently handled.

Last complaint: Even though it hasn't been done much, I'm already tired of victims getting killed while on the crapper. Didn't like it in the other Halloween title (H20? I keep losing track). It's gross. It's not scary to me because all I can think during their pummeling, mutilation, and inevitable death, is "but they never got to wipe their ass!" TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 875605

tohostudios wrote:
Digging Cult Of Chucky so far.  I like that Curse and Cult upped the gore factor.  I'm 2/3 of the way through Cult and I don't have any idea where it's going because it's had "multiple" surprises so far (those who have seen it will "get" the quotes).

And yeah, in this one Fiona Dourif sure looks a lot like her dad in drag.  I didn't think she looked much like him in Curse but she looks a LOT like him in Cult.

Yeah man, that was a fun one, and that opener was VERY brutal. It's the only moment in a Chucky film that's made me squirm.

You have more surprises coming in Cult, but beware--they get a little subversive.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18833

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2019 5:41 pm

Ring of Honor
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2019 7:00 pm

Finished Cult Of Chucky today.

I have to say after watching this entire franchise back to back to back, I wish they'd make more of them but only if Don Mancini writes the script.  Other than Child's Play 3 which I thought was pretty weak though not a total bust, I really enjoyed the entire series. 

And Cult does leave the door open for more sequels...

Nice post-credits scene again although I am getting a little tired of that trend.  That's how I knew the new Godzilla movie was going to be basically a Destroy All Monsters remake due to the ending of Kong Skull Island.  That's also how I know the next one after that will be a remake of King Kong vs Godzilla.

On to the Mothra blu-rays.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25640

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2019 8:19 pm

Seinfeld
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2019 9:40 pm

Watching the finale of "The Masked Singer".

I'm sorry to admit that I got semi-hooked on this show (although it was pretty amazing to see "The Deer" turn out to be Terry Bradshaw).

Just saw "The Bee" turn out to be Gladys Knight.  Damn!  That woman is over 70 years old and she still sounds great.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2019 5:41 am

The Goldbergs
Schooled
Modern Family
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2019 9:07 pm

Started "Rebirth Of Mothra" today on the elliptical.

I've seen this one before and while I like the creature design of Desghidorah, the whole thing is pretty silly and geared for children.  I don't think I've seen the other two latter-day Mothra movies in this set so hopefully they're a little more adult-oriented although I'm not holding my breath since Mothra is basically a child's "hero monster".

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2019 5:49 am

Lost
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25640

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2019 6:59 pm

The Goldbergs
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2019 12:04 pm

I've been severely slackin' on the movie watching of late, but it's a snowy weekend so let's git back in the trashy movie groove with...

"Blood Games" (1990)

A traveling all-girl baseball team (whose uniforms consist of Daisy Dukes and tiny cut off t-shirts) roll into a small town and proceed to beat the pants off of the local-yokel beer league team. Naturally, the good ole boys don't take kindly to such humiliation from a bunch of wimmen folk, so they even the score by getting drunk and rapey on a couple of the gals. When the team suffers a bus breakdown as they try to escape, the ladies have no choice but to take a stand and fight against the rednecks to get out alive.

...soooo, yeah, basically this direct-to-video T&A/thriller oddity is a strange hybrid of "A League of Their Own" and "I Spit On Your Grave." It's kind of hilarious in a WTF, so-bad-it's-good sort of way, but this throwback to the icky "rape-revenge" exploitation sub-genre of the '70s would never fly in today's "me too" era, even though it was directed by a woman!

Fun fact: one of the film's alternate titles is "Baseball Bimbos in Hillbilly Hell," which I like WAY better. Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2019 2:19 pm

Lost
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2019 3:54 pm

Dudes, I totally went on a Marvel binge! So nice to finally have some free time.

Thor (revisited): A-
Thor 2: B+
Avengers: Ultron: B
Thor Ragnarok: A!
Ant Man and the Wasp: B-
Infinity War: A-

It was the most fun I've had in front of a TV in a loooong time. Now I need to catch Iron Man 2 and Black Panther and I'll be fully caught up.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2019 4:47 pm

"Light Blast" (1985)

A post-"C.H.i.P.S." Erik Estrada stars in this delightfully cheesy Italian action flick, as a tough Frisco cop on the trail of a mad scientist who's holding the city for ransom with a laser weapon. Lotsa car chases, shoot outs and general ultra-violence, topped with a heavy layer of 80s sci-fi cheez. Tons o'fun!

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2019 5:51 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I've been severely slackin' on the movie watching of late, but it's a snowy weekend so let's git back in the trashy movie groove with...

"Blood Games" (1990)

A traveling all-girl baseball team (whose uniforms consist of Daisy Dukes and tiny cut off t-shirts) roll into a small town and proceed to beat the pants off of the local-yokel beer league team. Naturally, the good ole boys don't take kindly to such humiliation from a bunch of wimmen folk, so they even the score by getting drunk and rapey on a couple of the gals. When the team suffers a bus breakdown as they try to escape, the ladies have no choice but to take a stand and fight against the rednecks to get out alive.

...soooo, yeah, basically this direct-to-video T&A/thriller oddity is a strange hybrid of "A League of Their Own" and "I Spit On Your Grave." It's kind of hilarious in a WTF, so-bad-it's-good sort of way, but this throwback to the icky "rape-revenge" exploitation sub-genre of the '70s would never fly in today's "me too" era, even though it was directed by a woman!

Fun fact: one of the film's alternate titles is "Baseball Bimbos in Hillbilly Hell," which I like WAY better. Laughing very hard

I would have totally watched it with the alternate title!  Especially if it had "A Troma Release" stamped on the cover.

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019
Page 9 of 44Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 26 ... 44  Next