Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What in the world? (The Simpsons)

Go down 
+2
Fat Freddy
Required Fields
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28367

What in the world? (The Simpsons) Empty
PostSubject: What in the world? (The Simpsons)   What in the world? (The Simpsons) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2018 1:24 pm

https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/27/apu-is-being-written-out-of-the-simpsons-following-racial-stereotype-backlash-8079858/?ito=social&fbclid=IwAR2uAt1HYyyktyBXQBW7YGxO43IXhHcjAkkRtHXzyhAkl9C44NBbu-UMYSA

What's next? Are they going to write Cletus Spruckler out for being a stereotypical Southerner?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37557

PostSubject: Re: What in the world? (The Simpsons)   What in the world? (The Simpsons) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2018 4:54 pm

Pffft. Ridiculous.
Next they'll get rid of Groundskeeper Willie, Cookie Kwan, Bumblebee Man, etc.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: What in the world? (The Simpsons)   What in the world? (The Simpsons) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2018 4:14 am

Good thing there's still SouthPark lol
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6304

PostSubject: Re: What in the world? (The Simpsons)   What in the world? (The Simpsons) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2018 7:07 am

They should ban Homer for being a stereotype of a middle-aged working class white man.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: What in the world? (The Simpsons)   What in the world? (The Simpsons) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2018 5:03 pm

This whole PC things is completely out of control. And that's a good point Lari except middle-aged. straight, white guys are about the only demographic that it's still safe to make fun of.

I'll have to talk to some of the many Indians I work with and ask them if they know of anyone who is offended by the Apu character. Maybe I'm missing something.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: What in the world? (The Simpsons)   What in the world? (The Simpsons) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 2:56 pm

Without stereotypes, there is no comedy.

As a wise man once said, "It's never the people in question who are offended, it's always someone else"

I would add that people are rarely ever, truly offended - they choose to take offense.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37557

PostSubject: Re: What in the world? (The Simpsons)   What in the world? (The Simpsons) Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2018 10:48 am

Quote :
I'll have to talk to some of the many Indians I work with and ask them if they know of anyone who is offended by the Apu character. Maybe I'm missing something.

I could swear I remember hearing/reading stories back in the early days of the show about how much Indian-Americans liked seeing Apu, because he was  one of the first regular Indian characters on an American TV program. Possibly even the first.

Somewhere along the way that support started to erode. The documentary The Problem With Apu (which I have not seen) kicked the anti-Apu movement into high gear. The guy who directed that is a comedian of Indian descent.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What in the world? (The Simpsons)   What in the world? (The Simpsons) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What in the world? (The Simpsons)
Page 1 of 1