Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal

Go down 
+10
Stender
Troublezone
kyleblack
Boris2008
brokentulsa
Shawn Of Fire
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
Addy
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal Empty
PostSubject: GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal   GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2018 6:17 pm

Yes - this is a play on another thread. But, literally, other than early Sabbath, and the occasional The Obsessed or Trouble tune, I find doom utterly boring. I rather listen to new Country....Ok, no. Take that one back. But, as far as so-called "metal" genres, I would take Limp Bizcuit.

Any so-called "metal" genres that make you feel like this? Or are you just above such things?
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal   GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2018 6:53 am

Id rather listen to bluegrass than Limp Bizcuit
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal   GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2018 9:39 am

I can take it or leave it. I love me some Sabbath and Trouble, and a little bit o' Candlemass and Pentagram here 'n there but otherwise I've never really delved into the Doom genre very deeply.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal   GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2018 11:19 am

Ever tried some of Candlemass's biggest songs? Like "Solitude", "Dark are the Veils of Death", or "Mirror Mirror"?

I'm very picky about doom too. Some is excellent, but most is just an excuse to be a super lazy musician.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal   GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2018 1:40 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
but most is just an excuse to be a super lazy musician.

Lame. Rolling Eyes

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal   GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2018 1:53 pm

I like some doom...black Sabbath, witchfinder general, trouble, etc. ...cant stand black metal, grind metal, a lot of speed/thrash metal, and to me bands like limp biscuit/korn/etc. are just horrible crap noise in my opinion...
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal   GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 9:15 pm

Love doom.

Mostly hate any genre that features the word 'technical'

Some is excellent but most is an excuse to disappear up your own ass in a cloud of smug self satisfaction
Back to top Go down
kyleblack
Metal student
Metal student
kyleblack

Number of posts : 159

PostSubject: Re: GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal   GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 2:10 am

I like some of it but definitely not my favorite genre.

What I think really sucks is the Retro Stoner/Doom/Rock stuff. I love 70's Hard Rock but most of that stuff is garbage, especially the first Ghost album.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal   GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 4:28 am

I'm no expert on doom, but I like a lot of it. Early Sabbath, Trouble, The Obsessed and Place of Skulls. I also like Seventh Angel who mixed some thrash with doom. And then there's the stoner doom like Goatsnake.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal   GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 1:17 pm

Doom is one of the pillars of heavy metal. The style and the vibe and the riffing can be traced back to the very beginnings of heavy metal itself. To imply that "most" of it is simply "lazy" is to show total ignorance. It's perfectly OK to not like it. Loads of people like and dislike different things. But to simply dismiss it as "lazy" is one of the weakest, most self-serving opinions I have seen...on anything.

As for the Retro Stoner/Doom/Rock being "garbage"...why? Why do you think it's garbage? Just because you don't like it? Bands like Witchcraft, Beastmaker, Blood Ceremony, Crypt Sermon, Bretus and others do a fantastic job at preserving a form of music with skill and integrity.

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal   GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 3:29 pm

Personally I love it as long as it's not too drone-y like Sunn or other bands of that ilk. That is the stuff I find boring.

As far as other genres, I can find something I like about it. I never got into the folk and symphonic bands though.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal   GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 5:39 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Ever tried some of Candlemass's biggest songs?  Like "Solitude", "Dark are the Veils of Death", or "Mirror Mirror"?

I'm very picky about doom too.  Some is excellent, but most is just an excuse to be a super lazy musician.

Calling this opinion lame is an understatement
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal   GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 8:05 pm

I am not a huge fan of (and certainly not well versed) the Doom Metal genre, but I would definitely take it over something non Metal.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal   GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 7:52 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Doom is one of the pillars of heavy metal. The style and the vibe and the riffing can be traced back to the very beginnings of heavy metal itself. To imply that "most" of it is simply "lazy" is to show total ignorance. It's perfectly OK to not like it. Loads of people like and dislike different things. But to simply dismiss it as "lazy" is one of the weakest, most self-serving opinions I have seen...on anything.

I agree, It's like saying Black Sabbath is lazy. Doom is all about the riffs! And tbh, I much prefer a great riff over any "technical" jerk off crap (although there are some exceptions).
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal   GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 9:49 am

Troublezone wrote:
And tbh, I much prefer a great riff over any "technical" jerk off crap (although there are some exceptions).

Me too.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25900

PostSubject: Re: GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal   GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 6:47 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
but most is just an excuse to be a super lazy musician.

Lame. Rolling Eyes

I agree
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12633

PostSubject: Re: GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal   GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2018 9:40 pm

Stender wrote:
I never got into the folk and symphonic bands though.

Don't listen to much symphonic, if any. The only "folk metal" bands I dig are Eluveitie and Tenggar Calvary.

I am guilty of listening to garage stoner bands on youtube.

PostSubject: Re: GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal   GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GAWD, I HATE Doom Metal
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: