Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Weezer covers Toto

Go down 
+8
the sentinel
Temple of Blood
Eyesore
A Handful of Wayne
tohostudios
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
mikeinfla
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2018 6:24 am

When I first read about this I thought it was a little odd. But when I heard it I think they did a really.good job and didn't stray too much from the original.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2018 4:43 pm

Did you read the whole back-story on why they did this cover?

I'm not sure why, but their fans have been asking them to record a cover of 'Africa' by Toto. Social media campaigns, shouting it out live, on-line petitions, the whole 'magilla.

So Weezer responded by covering Toto's 'Rosanna'. Classic! Laughing very hard

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17045

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2018 5:52 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I'm not sure why, but their fans have been asking them to record a cover of 'Africa' by Toto. Social media campaigns, shouting it out live, on-line petitions, the whole 'magilla.

Why Africa? It's a great song, but I don't see why Weezer fans insisted for them to cover it. Strange request...
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2018 6:37 pm

That just sounds like a bar band.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2018 7:24 pm

Troublezone wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Why Africa? It's a great song, but I don't see why Weezer fans insisted  for them to cover it. Strange request...

If I read correctly, it goes something like this...

A 14-year old Weezer fan heard the song 'Africa' while watching the Netflix show 'Stranger Things'. She went on Facebook or Twitter or something and requested Weezer to cover it. Other fans picked up on it and it just became a "thing".

While I'd love to make fun of that and stupid millennials, I seem to remember a few older, seemingly more mature group of gentlemen starting a campaign to get a certain hair-band to address a hot dog jingle they did some time ago...

You be the judge. \'arry \'eadbanger

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2018 6:04 am

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2018 6:59 pm

Never underestimate the power of a 14 year old girl and her social media account.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2018 1:09 am

Not bad. I'm a big Weezer fan, or maybe was I guess, I still haven't bought the newest album cause I haven't heard one song on it I'd like. I'm waiting for a Eyesore 99 cent deal on that one hahaha!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2018 1:18 am

Is there a point to these Toto covers?

They sound basically like the originals so it's not like Weezer is re-interpreting them or anything.  I've always felt that if a band isn't going to "re-imagine" a song then why bother covering it.

And if it's just a response to social media crap then that means I officially add Weezer to my "Don't Bother With This Band" list because that's just pathetic.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 1:50 am

tohostudios wrote:
Is there a point to these Toto covers?

They sound basically like the originals so it's not like Weezer is re-interpreting them or anything.  I've always felt that if a band isn't going to "re-imagine" a song then why bother covering it.

And if it's just a response to social media crap then that means I officially add Weezer to my "Don't Bother With This Band" list because that's just pathetic.

You old farts with your misunderstanding of social media. lol!

They're probably just having fun, doing something cool for the fans. Why not?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 1:53 am

I really dislike "covers" of songs that don't actually "reinterpret" them.  What's the point if you don't put your own spin on a song? 

And while I'm on the subject, if I NEVER hear another cover of American Woman, I'll die a happy man.

Now that I think about it, you know what WOULD be cool?  Weezer covering "Freebird" complete with the southern accent.  I mean, if you're going to cover a song note for note and not change it up then at least do a creative job of mimicry.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 2:19 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I really dislike "covers" of songs that don't actually "reinterpret" them.  What's the point if you don't put your own spin on a song? 

And while I'm on the subject, if I NEVER hear another cover of American Woman, I'll die a happy man.

Now that I think about it, you know what WOULD be cool?  Weezer covering "Freebird" complete with the southern accent.  I mean, if you're going to cover a song note for note and not change it up then at least do a creative job of mimicry.

Some covers I like, some I don't. I agree on American Woman. I think of all the covers I have heard this one is probably my favorite. True to the original yet different.

Starts around 30 seconds in, not sure why the long delay. The song has a "guest vocalist" Cool near the end of the song. Very cool.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 8:45 pm

tohostudios wrote:

I agree. Not a big fan of note-by-note covers, but sometimes they're cool and can even improve the original.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 4:53 pm

Pointless and unimpressive.

But I guess it got us talking about Weezer again so mission accomplished.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2018 5:37 pm

So, we have directtv music stations on at work and I hear this once a day now. As others have said they didn't stray too far from the original and it is (as ToB said) unimpressive. I would rather hear a Weezer original than this cover as I think they are a pretty good band.

Also, the logo (title card?) on the vid screen reminds me of the Wonder Woman logo. Anything that references Gal Gadot makes the Sentinel happy. Smile
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2018 5:49 pm

Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I agree. Not a big fan of note-by-note covers, but sometimes they're cool and can even improve the original.

Agreed. I am actually a big fan of covers, especially when they do "put their own spin" on a song through a tempo change or having a signature sound or voice so it makes it their own.. Jorn does this a lot and I love it. I have a few comps I made of favorite covers. I know we have a covers thread, but since we are here, these are a few examples of not covering note for note:

CJSS - Locomotive Breath
Leather - Barracuda
Racer X - Godzilla
Liege Lord - Kill the King
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39186

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2018 6:25 pm

A big meh for this one. I'll stick with the original.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28368

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2018 7:09 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Leather - Barracuda

That was Chastain, the band Leather Leone sings for, actually.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2018 4:41 am

Required Fields wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
Leather - Barracuda

That was Chastain, the band Leather Leone sings for, actually.

My bad. It's tough to get old Weezer covers Toto 251456
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2018 6:33 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Also, the logo (title card?) on the vid screen reminds me of the Wonder Woman logo. Anything that references Gal Gadot makes the Sentinel happy. Smile

It was originally designed as a take-off of the old Van Halen logo...
Weezer covers Toto Van-Halen-logo

...but I can see how it's sorta morphed into WW these days.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37558

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2018 6:38 pm

Now that Weezer has raised Toto's profile higher than it's been in years, Toto is returning the favor by covering Weezer's "Hash Pipe" on their current tour Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2018 6:41 pm

Wow! Who new Toto was still around? That's pretty cool.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37558

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2018 6:45 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

One of the YouTube comments suggests that Weezer and Toto should tour together, with Weezer doing a set of all Toto songs and vice versa. Brilliant! Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2018 5:11 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

One of the YouTube comments suggests that Weezer and Toto should tour together, with Weezer doing a set of all Toto songs and vice versa. Brilliant! Laughing very hard

See. Now this is officially (in my mind anyway) pretty cool. Smile
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2018 5:55 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Studio version is coming! This is hilarious. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Weezer covers Toto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weezer covers Toto   Weezer covers Toto Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weezer covers Toto
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next