Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any love for Manilla Road???

Go down 
+5
Fat Freddy
krokus
scottmitchell74
GrandNational
Required Fields
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Any love for Manilla Road??? Empty
PostSubject: Any love for Manilla Road???   Any love for Manilla Road??? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 1:12 pm

Maybe it's just me but I haven't really seen these guys mentioned much around here. I am listening to "The Courts of Chaos" right now and it's one hell of an underrated album by an already underrated band. This album smokes but so do most Manilla Road albums. Anyway, let's hear it.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28455

PostSubject: Re: Any love for Manilla Road???   Any love for Manilla Road??? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 1:40 pm

I like them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Any love for Manilla Road???   Any love for Manilla Road??? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 1:49 pm

I've been wanting to pick up a couple of their albums.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any love for Manilla Road???   Any love for Manilla Road??? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 1:50 pm

I have never heard them. It sounds ignorant, but their name never seemed overly metal to me so I figured their music was about as impressive. Maybe I should look into them now. Smile
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Any love for Manilla Road???   Any love for Manilla Road??? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 2:06 pm

I'm guilty as well, spectrefate,as I took that path. I've recently (last year or so) rectified the same problem with Pink Cream 69. A decidedly stupid name for an incredible band......
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Any love for Manilla Road???   Any love for Manilla Road??? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 2:18 pm

I have by MANILLA ROAD:
LIVE ROADKILL LP
CRYSTAL LOGIC LP
OPEN THE GATES+12"MAXI SINGLE LP
MYSTIFICATION CD
ATLANTIS RISING double LP
THE DELUGE limited to 500 picture disc
THE COURT OF CHAOS picture disc
OUT OF THE ABYSS lp
but never been a big fan. My fave is CRYSTAL LOGIC from 1983.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Any love for Manilla Road???   Any love for Manilla Road??? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 3:09 pm

They're one of the many bands I've heard much ABOUT but have never actually HEARD to my knowledge.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Any love for Manilla Road???   Any love for Manilla Road??? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 3:15 pm

Never heard of them. What kind of metal are they? Thrash, traditional, power?

EDIT: never mind. Got this from BNRmetal.com

One of the great cult metal bands from the eighties, Manilla Road still has a strong following, particularly in Europe. Isolated from the metal world in their home in Kansas, the trio (recently expanded to a quartet) have released an impressive array of albums over their career, all with a distinctively original sound. That sound consisted of gruff vocals, low-tuned, heavy guitar work, lyrics often delving into fantasy topics, and mostly slow to mid-paced riffing, with an emphasis on creating an epic feel to their works. If asked to name their best albums, the votes here would go to The Deluge and Open The Gates. The band was quiet for most of the nineties, but band leader Mark Shelton revived the group in 2001, and the group continues to record and enjoy cult success.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any love for Manilla Road???   Any love for Manilla Road??? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 3:44 pm

My favorite Manilla Road albums are Mystification (1987), The Deluge (1986), Out of the Abyss (1988) and The Courts of Chaos (1990). They are a traditional heavy metal band but their late 80s stuff delved into power/thrash.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any love for Manilla Road???   Any love for Manilla Road??? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 7:05 pm

YES!!! THIS BAND RULES!!!

They sort of remind me of Omen, only orginal! I don't have any of their albums, but I discovered them online a while back. I NEED to acquire their whole catalogue! Even if it means forking out some big cash!!!

It is worth it! This band is one of those bands that I could see being a favorite for me (right there with Chastain and Virgin Steele).

Very underrated band too.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Any love for Manilla Road???   Any love for Manilla Road??? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 10:54 pm

Always meant to look into them, but I never have.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any love for Manilla Road???   Any love for Manilla Road??? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 2:29 am

I think I'm going to order something from them pretty soon.

What album would you people recommend for a starting place with them?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any love for Manilla Road???   Any love for Manilla Road??? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 2:31 am

decapitate wrote:
My favorite Manilla Road albums are Mystification (1987), The Deluge (1986), Out of the Abyss (1988) and The Courts of Chaos (1990). They are a traditional heavy metal band but their late 80s stuff delved into power/thrash.

Nevermind! I went back and saw this post. I think I might use this as a guide. Perhaps I'll get Mystification first. People seem to all agree that's their best one.

Also, Decapitate - what is their most thrashiest album?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any love for Manilla Road???   Any love for Manilla Road??? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 2:55 pm

blackieboy wrote:

Also, Decapitate - what is their most thrashiest album?

I'd say it's a three way tie between "Mystification," "Out of the Abyss" and "The Courts of Chaos." Parts of these albums are PURE thrash.

My favorite album though is probably "Out of the Abyss." It's melodic and catchy. Dark and aggressive. Just as thrashy as anything else coming out at the time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any love for Manilla Road???   Any love for Manilla Road??? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 8:32 pm

Thanks! Perhaps I'll get that one first then!

🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any love for Manilla Road???   Any love for Manilla Road??? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 5:22 am

my all time favorite band. enough said. definately their "thrasiest" album is out of the abyss. sure my less favorite one, although it includes helicon, which is my alltime favorite track of them(based of course in the great hellenic mythology)....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any love for Manilla Road???   Any love for Manilla Road??? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 5:27 am

spectrefate wrote:
I have never heard them. It sounds ignorant, but their name never seemed overly metal to me so I figured their music was about as impressive. Maybe I should look into them now. Smile

nothing's wrong with their name...manilla road was the name of the street which mark"the shark" shelton used to walk to his university in witchita....
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Any love for Manilla Road???   Any love for Manilla Road??? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 7:20 am

I only have Atlantis Rising, yet. Didn't exactly win me over as a fan, but I expect other releases to be even better. I've heard so much good about this band.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Any love for Manilla Road???   Any love for Manilla Road??? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 9:33 am

Open the Gates is undoubtedly my favourite, with Mystification and The Deluge trailing.

Their thrashiest is definitely Out of the Abyss - not a bad album, but their Epic albums listed above are in their own league.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell

PostSubject: Re: Any love for Manilla Road???   Any love for Manilla Road??? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 3:36 pm

Still haven't acquired any of their albums ... there is just always so much I want.

Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any love for Manilla Road???   Any love for Manilla Road??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any love for Manilla Road???
Page 1 of 1