Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss!

Go down 
+5
Required Fields
exact33
Thrasher73
glassprison
tohostudios
9 posters
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss! Empty
PostSubject: Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss!   Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 6:36 pm

March 2 is the birthday of Theodore Geisel aka Dr. Seuss. 

Talk about leaving your mark on the world!  I don't know about anyone else here but I started learning to read with the Dr. Seuss Alphabet Book back in the early 60s.  Then I moved up to The Cat In The Hat, Green Eggs and Ham and One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.   From there I worked my way deeper into the Seuss catalog and discovered the Star-bellied Sneeches and my all-time favorite Seuss book "I Had Trouble In Getting To Solla Sollew".  I still think of that book any time I get lost or whenever I'm having a difficult time trying to accomplish something.

Judging by the features honoring his birthday that various newcasts are showing, kids are STILL learning to read by reading Dr. Seuss. How's this for a legacy:

Quote :
His books have topped many bestseller lists, sold over 600 million copies, and been translated into more than 20 languages.[2] In 2000, Publishers Weekly compiled a list of the best-selling children's books of all time; of the top 100 hardcover books, 16 were written by Geisel, including Green Eggs and Ham, at number 4, The Cat in the Hat, at number 9, and One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish, at number 13
 And to this day I describe any weird-looking plant or tree as a "Dr. Seuss tree":

Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss! Truffula-trees

So here's to Dr. Seuss who has probably done more for literacy in the world than practically anyone else I can think of... headbanger cheers

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2956

PostSubject: Re: Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss!   Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 7:49 pm

Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss! 775710
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss!   Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 2:23 am

My son has been reading Green Eggs and Ham this week. They always celebrate Dr Seuss birthday at his elementary school this week.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss!   Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 11:43 am

oh the places you'll go

Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28367

PostSubject: Re: Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss!   Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2017 10:35 pm

Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss! 98219702Immortal-Birthday
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37557

PostSubject: Re: Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss!   Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2017 2:02 pm

I was kind of sad when my sons aged out of the Dr. Seuss demographic - because his stuff was SO much fun to read out loud for them at bed time.

We especially liked "Yertle the Turtle," "The Lorax" (I did a cool, raspy voice for the Lorax which my kids liked better than the one Danny DeVito gave him in the movie, haha!) and "The Sleep Book"... and of course, we read "The Grinch" every night during the Christmas season!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss!   Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2017 5:19 pm

Yertle lives!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss!   Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2017 5:28 pm

I think that's the key to Dr. Seuss' genius. His stories are just plain fun! From the drawings to the rhythm of the words to the rhymes to the sheer imagination. So much so that kids don't even realize they're learning something.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss!   Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2017 7:29 pm

I always thought the cat in the hat was Jamiroquai and Green Eggs & Ham was a song by Ludichrist! surprised
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss!   Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 10, 2017 1:04 am

I still have my copy of this book...My mom bought it for me decades ago when I was a little kid...

Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss! 512PxXsTebL._SX347_BO1,204,203,200_
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss!   Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2018 6:30 pm

Happy 114th Doctor!

Millions of kids around the world still become interested in reading thanks to your legacy.

And I STILL think of "I Had Trouble In Getting To Solla Sollew" every time I get lost or confronted with various traffic issues.

PostSubject: Re: Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss!   Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Happy 113th Birthday Dr. Seuss!
Page 1 of 1