Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Star Wars: Rogue One

Go down 
+10
Witchfinder
Boris2008
tohostudios
exact33
nevermore
Lari
Citanul
Fat Freddy
Wrecked Neck
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

Star Wars: Rogue One Empty
PostSubject: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2016 1:43 pm

Anyone see it yet? I went late last night and liked it a lot. Lots of surprise cameo appearances in it I won't talk about, but I felt added some fun to it. I'll have to watch episode IV again though, because I think they screwed something up in it that goes against what happens in the original. Overall really a good movie though, will definitely go see it again.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39398

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2016 2:08 pm

I will see it soon. Unfortunately this weekend is pretty well filled up for me and I won't be able to squeeze it in.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37614

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2016 2:22 pm

My brother and I have talked about catching it together sometime over the holidays but nothing has been carved in stone yet.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2016 3:53 pm

I saw it this morning, and I enjoyed it. Definitely a worthy addition to the Star Wars movie franchise.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6319

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2016 8:23 pm

I just got back from seeing it. I thought it was very enjoyable, typical Star Wars style space adventure. And a ton of nostalgia for fans of A New Hope. Better than the prequels.

If the other "non-trilogy" Star Wars movies are like this, I have no problem with this format.

It is not a great movie, but it was totally meant to pander to fans of Episode IV. So like I said, very enjoyable. All those empire weapons and walkers and star destroyers, plus those uniforms worn by the officers. They look like Hugo Boss designed them. Good shit.

They closed some dumb plot holes of the original trilogy (ridiculous weakness to the Death Star), and hey the stormtroopers even managed to hit and kill a couple rebels.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 4:34 pm

Only thing that makes me not love the movie is the ending. Don't wanna say anything to give it away, but pretty sure they screwed up with how the plans to the deathstar get to episode IV. other than that, I thought they did a really good job. One cameo was dumb also and out of place IMO, but not a big deal.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25766

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 8:57 pm

I'm hoping to catch it soon.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 10:38 pm

Wrecked Neck wrote:
Don't wanna say anything to give it away, but pretty sure they screwed up with how the plans to the deathstar get to episode IV.

I thought that too, but I was thinking of the second Death Star. Episode IV's opening crawl states that they've stolen plans, and I don't think there's any mention in the movie itself as to just how they got them. So there may be no contradiction there.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 11:15 pm

Citanul wrote:
Wrecked Neck wrote:
Don't wanna say anything to give it away, but pretty sure they screwed up with how the plans to the deathstar get to episode IV.

I thought that too, but I was thinking of the second Death Star.  Episode IV's opening crawl states that they've stolen plans, and I don't think there's any mention in the movie itself as to just how they got them.  So there may be no contradiction there.
Yes there is. At the very beginning, Vader is questioning one of the rebels on the ship about the plans being transmitted to the ship. I watched it this morning just to be sure lol

The opening crawl is so cool to read now though, after seeing the new movie. When reading it before, you just don't get the scope of what they go through to get the plans. Now after seeing Rogue One, it really takes on new meaning. At least it did for me anyways.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2016 7:05 pm

Darth Vader kicks butt in this movie. I think they read the marvel comic finally and let him loose.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2016 7:31 pm

My record is intact; I've still never seen a single Star Wars movie.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2016 8:37 pm

tohostudios wrote:

lol!

I have seen them all first run!

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2016 9:26 pm

My disdain for Star Wars, et. al. stems from the original being called "science fiction". Back then I was a major "speculative fiction" fan (as Harlan Ellison calls it) and just hated that this film was being tagged with the "sci fi" label. After reading about "Star Wars" I decided it was a futuristic soap opera placed in space. It turns out that I was right because even current write-ups of the Star Wars saga refer to it as a "space opera" or something similar.

So yeah, I still despise the whole phenomenon. Me and about 3 other people on the planet. Razz

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25766

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2016 1:59 pm

exact33 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

lol!

I have seen them all first run!

Me too!
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2016 2:13 pm

tohostudios wrote:

While it's quite an achievement, it's not one that I'm jealous of or even understand, it's like saying that you have never eaten bacon or played with boobs.

Star Wars: Rogue One 200_s
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2016 2:33 pm

I saw it and enjoyed it. It's not great and has zero characterization, but the last hour is exciting.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2016 8:25 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
I saw it and enjoyed it.  It's not great and has zero characterization, but the last hour is exciting.  

yep. i did not expect the characters to live since you never hear of them but it was a good shootem up film.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2016 8:57 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

While it's quite an achievement, it's not one that I'm jealous of or even understand, it's like saying that you have never eaten bacon or played with boobs.

Laughing very hard
Laughing very hard

I guess soap operas set in space just don't interest me.  That and the fact that when the original came out everyone was just RAVING about the effects.  Whatever.  FX don't impress me if the story is lame and to me the whole Star Wars thing is weak. 

The public craving for the thing doesn't help either.  My rule of thumb with films has always been "anything the public absolutely drools over is not something that interests me."  And I've found very few exceptions to that rule after the unfortunate occasions where I've actually watched (or more aptly, "been subjected to") such a flick.

Nothing against those who enjoy the franchise.  Have at it.  But I'll keep my "Star War-less" record intact.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2016 2:04 am

tohostudios wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Laughing very hard
Laughing very hard

I guess soap operas set in space just don't interest me.  That and the fact that when the original came out everyone was just RAVING about the effects.  Whatever.  FX don't impress me if the story is lame and to me the whole Star Wars thing is weak. 

The public craving for the thing doesn't help either.  My rule of thumb with films has always been "anything the public absolutely drools over is not something that interests me."  And I've found very few exceptions to that rule after the unfortunate occasions where I've actually watched (or more aptly, "been subjected to") such a flick.

Nothing against those who enjoy the franchise.  Have at it.  But I'll keep my "Star War-less" record intact.
It's more of a western set in space. The fx in the first trilogy are nothing compared to what's out there now. What makes SW so special is the fact that it revolutionized special effects and paved the way for everything that followed. For it's time it was mind blowing what they did with the fx.

If you've never seen them, then how can you say they're weak? There is so much more to it than just special fx. I get its not for everyone, but you really shouldn't be so judgemental against it if you've never even seen one single SW movie. Star Wars: Rogue One 438278
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6319

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2016 2:40 am

I think it's more Tolkien/fantasy than Western. Like Lord of the Rings set in space. The success of the movie franchise probably also paved the way for other blockbuster fantasy adventures.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2016 2:45 am

Lari wrote:
I think it's more Tolkien/fantasy than Western. Like Lord of the Rings set in space. The success of the movie franchise probably also paved the way for other blockbuster fantasy adventures.
Yeah there are some similarities between the two. Hell, you can say that about most fantasy/sci-fi movies and books. The evil Lord, the young maiden, the kid turned hero, magic vs. the force, tons of stories revolve around those elements.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2016 5:25 pm

I saw something that said that far from being science fiction, Star Wars was far more an Errol Flynn  swashbuckler type movie complete with the hero getting the girl. I think that suits the movie better than any of the other comparisons.

I've seen the Rouge One movie now and like it well enough, I agree that the characterisation was weak and pretty much already knowing the story didn't help but visually it was stunning and the Peter Cushing stuff is amazingly well done.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2016 9:04 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I saw something that said that far from being science fiction, Star Wars was far more an Errol Flynn  swashbuckler type movie complete with the hero getting the girl. I think that suits the movie better than any of the other comparisons.

I've seen the Rouge One movie now and like it well enough, I agree that the characterisation was weak and pretty much already knowing the story didn't help but visually it was stunning and the Peter Cushing stuff is amazingly well done.

it was amazing how they brought him back...

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37614

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2016 9:54 pm

Quote :
I saw something that said that far from being science fiction, Star Wars was far more an Errol Flynn swashbuckler type movie complete with the hero getting the girl.

I'm reading a new biography of George Lucas right now and it mentioned that he was indeed influenced by those Errol Flynn movies, as well as the old Flash Gordon serials, which he saw on TV as a kid in the 50s/60s.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2016 9:36 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
I saw something that said that far from being science fiction, Star Wars was far more an Errol Flynn  swashbuckler type movie complete with the hero getting the girl.

I'm reading a new biography of George Lucas right now and it mentioned that he was indeed influenced by those Errol Flynn movies, as well as the old Flash Gordon serials, which he saw on TV as a kid in the 50s/60s.

i think that is the genius of Lucas: Good, simple stories set in a sci fi universe. He did not over-complicate things a la Star Trek.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One   Star Wars: Rogue One Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Star Wars: Rogue One
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next