Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Suicide Squad (2016)

Go down 
+11
martinsane
tohostudios
Required Fields
Hadley
Citanul
thejokeriv
ZombieHavoc
Lari
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37557

Suicide Squad (2016) Empty
PostSubject: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2016 9:59 am

DC Comics' latest attempt to expand their Cinematic Universe opens today... and it's gotten almost universally bad reviews thus far. Seriously, I don't think I've seen a positive write up on this flick yet. This thing is getting friggin' hammered

I dunno, it looks like big dumb shoot'em up/blow'em up fun to me. I hear Affleck makes a brief cameo as Batman too.

Is anybody planning on seeing it?

In spite of all the bad press, I have a feeling that it's going to make money anyway, just from the hordes of Harley Quinn fan boys/girls who have been dyin' to see her translated into live action.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2016 10:21 am

I'll probably catch it when it eventually reaches cable. Otherwise, I'll pass. I'm pretty much over all these DC and Marvel movies.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39186

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2016 10:39 am

This thing is getting killed. I thought it might be DC's first cinematic hit (since the Nolan Bat Man trilogy) but apparently not. I'd probably catch it on dvd/Blu-ray when my daughter's boyfriend buys it in a couple months. No way I'm spending money to see it.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6305

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2016 10:39 am

I don't know who any of them are, but the chick's hot.

I'm not interested in watching the whole movie though.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2016 12:16 pm

I plan to check it out on blu ray...I'd like to see it in the theater, but not enough to worry about arranging a babysitter.

I've had a mixed journey with it. At announcement, I was into it because I loved the 90s comic and it is a great concept. When casting started coming out I was less into it, and when the first photos of costumes and stuff came out I was even less so. The first trailer didn't do it for me...but as I keep seeing more trailers, more TV spots and more coverage of it over the past couple months, I'm basically all on board except for this version of the Joker, visually at least. I don't care for it and I doubt his performance will be enough to change that.

I could care less about reviews, especially critic reviews. Just like music, I base my choices on my own taste and if it looks good enough to me, for me to check out.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2016 12:43 pm

This blurb from the A.V. Club's review of Suicide Squad made me laugh: "Suicide Squad can't take its mind off Margot Robbie's ass long enough for her performance to acquire any range." Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2016 12:54 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
I'm basically all on board except for this version of the Joker, visually at least. I don't care for it and I doubt his performance will be enough to change that.

On the flip side, the Joker's supposedly in the film for a whopping 10 minutes !
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2016 12:58 pm

007 wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
I'm basically all on board except for this version of the Joker, visually at least. I don't care for it and I doubt his performance will be enough to change that.

On the flip side, the Joker's supposedly in the film for a whopping 10 minutes !

Yes, for that I will be grateful I'm sure. I get trying to put your own spin on characters that have been done a bunch of times...but I can't get past that "damaged" tattoo on his forehead man.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2016 1:53 pm

Sounds like the studio f'd it up by trying to make it better:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/how-studio-interference-changed-suicide-squad/

Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2016 2:05 pm

I saw it this afternoon, and wasn't all that impressed by it. For me, a big problem was that it was a typical superhero movie, with the characters fighting against a big bad, but I don't think that really fits what the Suicide Squad was all about. It's been a long time since I read the comics, but from what I remember they're supposed to be more like a covert black ops team than a team that takes on major superpowered threats.

I also wasn't a huge fan of Jared Leto's Joker. Admittedly, he had a tough job following past performances, but I'd say that he probably came across more sinister than with the manic craziness that the Joker usually has. And I also don't really like his look, so that didn't aid my impression of him.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 988

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2016 11:49 pm

Actually, i've seen reviews that ARENT from professional critics, and they pretty much say that while it does have problems, it's not bad at all. Remember that professional critics have trashed films that have since become classics, so i dont put too much stock in them.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28367

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2016 12:11 am

I'm seeing it this weekend.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2016 5:42 pm

I'm supposed to be seeing at as part of a "team event" for work in a few weeks.  I'm going in with low expectations so I probably will enjoy it.  I was already disappointed when I saw that a movie with this premise was rated PG-13.  C'mon, these are supposed to be the worst of the worst of "anti-heros"; how the hell can it not be rated R?

Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2016 12:22 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I'm supposed to be seeing at as part of a "team event" for work in a few weeks.  I'm going in with low expectations so I probably will enjoy it.  I was already disappointed when I saw that a movie with this premise was rated PG-13.  C'mon, these are supposed to be the worst of the worst of "anti-heros"; how the hell can it not be rated R?

2 words "target audience". Smile

But I agree before paying attention to this I thought a nice R rating like Deadpool would be a treat for us over the legal drinking age limit, but alas no dice another what I can only assume to be a watering down of a what could have been better movie for the $$$.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2016 11:34 pm

i saw it and with all the low expectations, i was actually decently surprised. i mean it was no avengers or captain america quality, but i was entertained throughout the majority of it.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 9:03 am

Hadley wrote:
Actually, i've seen reviews that ARENT from professional critics, and they pretty much say that while it does have problems, it's not bad at all. Remember that professional critics have trashed films that have since become classics, so i dont put too much stock in them.

My thoughts exactly. I don't care about reviews anyway if I already want to see a movie, but it's a critics job to be hard as hell on a movie. And so they are.

Plenty of regular people I know have enjoyed the movie and plenty have thought it sucked...so, whatever that's worth.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 9:15 am

Critics be damned. It made $135 million this weekend.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2016/08/07/box-office-suicide-squad-nine-lives/88279758/

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 9:53 am

That's an awful lot of fanboys.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 11:00 am

Expect "Harley Quinn" to be the hottest selling ladies' Halloween costume this season...

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 11:08 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Expect "Harley Quinn" to be the hottest selling ladies' Halloween costume this season...

For the hot ones anyway. All the sad, chubby girls will have to settle for a Melissa McCarthy Ghostbusters jumpsuit.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 11:29 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

For the hot ones anyway. All the sad, chubby girls will have to settle for a Melissa McCarthy Ghostbusters jumpsuit.

lol!
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4597

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 9:41 pm

I went with the girlfriend and my son on Saturday to see it. I thought it was fairly decent. It had some genuinely funny moments. The story was a bit all over the map, and Leto's Joker was disappointing (the look they gave his "interpretation" wasn't helping in ANY way). Most of the other actors did a fairly decent job.

All in all, I was entertained and my son really got a kick out of it.

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2016 5:28 pm

It really did strike me as the kind of movie I would've loved watching as a 10 year old. Not to say that that's a bad thing, because it's cool watching a movie that appeals to that sensibility rather than my usual film-nerd sensibilities.

Some of my buddies work at the local Carmike theater, so I've gotten to see this one free twice now, and I enjoyed it both times. I have some gripes, (like why was Will Smith's Deadshot the most fleshed out character?) but nothing really major. It was a fun movie.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2016 6:33 pm

So what I'm gathering from this thread is that one might enjoy this movie if:

A) one has never read the comic book on which it's based
B) one doesn't go into it expecting a complex plot and/or well-developed characters
C) one goes in with low expectations

All three of which apply to me so...team event back on again!

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2016 2:38 am

You forgot one Toho,

D) just to watch Margot Robbie's Ass.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suicide Squad (2016)   Suicide Squad (2016) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suicide Squad (2016)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next