Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

CD "Long boxes"

Go down 
+2
Witchfinder
the sentinel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

CD "Long boxes" Empty
PostSubject: CD "Long boxes"   CD "Long boxes" Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 10:42 am

Does anyone actually collect these? Or is it just a relic of a bygone era? I know they did this as a means for the then new medium to stand tall like albums so stores wouldn't have to be retro fitted for retail sale. But, do any of you collect them or desire to get favorite band releases still sealed in the box? I have thought of it from time to time but the insane prices scare me off. Thoughts, HoM?
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7606

CD "Long boxes" Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD "Long boxes"   CD "Long boxes" Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 10:52 am

Even I don't collect them. At one point, I had Leatherwolf's Street Ready in a longbox and I may still have it somewhere, but it's no longer sealed.

Longbox packaging existed for such a short period of time and basically only existed to allow retailers to still use LP racks for CDs that I don't feel any need to collect them. They are only oddities to me, but people will collect virtually anything.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

CD "Long boxes" Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD "Long boxes"   CD "Long boxes" Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 2:07 pm

I hear ya. I checked out a few on the bay earlier and the prices have come down quite a bit. All of the original Priest discs are new for around $10 with Free Shipping. The same guy also has a ton of early Kiss for the same price (and the cool Kiss Army logo on the box) and quite a few King Diamond, too. I will probably get a few in the future, but I will treat like I do my vinyl collection and purchase things I don't own already. Let's put it this way, if I were going to pay $10-$15 for a Kick Axe or Shotgun Messiah album (or another 80's band) and it's found for that price in long box, then it's all good. I guess I would only collect the boxes if they are full color or those that also have album art work and not just the blank/ black box.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37557

CD "Long boxes" Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD "Long boxes"   CD "Long boxes" Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 6:29 pm

They were a terrible waste of paper but I always thought they were kinda cool. I used to cut the front panel off of the ones that had album art on'em and hang it on my wall.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

CD "Long boxes" Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD "Long boxes"   CD "Long boxes" Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 9:25 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
They were a terrible waste of paper but I always thought they were kinda cool. I used to cut the front panel off of the ones that had album art on'em and hang it on my wall.

cool I am liking the ones that have the band logos or like I said earlier, the Kiss Army logo.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

CD "Long boxes" Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD "Long boxes"   CD "Long boxes" Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 6:39 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

I did the same thing when I was in high school and thought it made a cool wall decoration. Wish I still had them!
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

CD "Long boxes" Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD "Long boxes"   CD "Long boxes" Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 6:45 am

At first they were cool and looked like this:

CD "Long boxes" Led-Zeppelin-III-3-CD-Long-box-Longbox

Then they became cheap and looked like this with just a small pic of album art (I had no use for these):

CD "Long boxes" Duran-duran-rio-usa-cd-album-with-original-long-box-11421-p

Then they got even worse with plastic ones that were like trying to open a bank vault to get open. I HATED these:

CD "Long boxes" S-l225

CD "Long boxes" A_cd_us_pyromania_longbox_b_plastic

And I sure as heck don't remember THIS one!

CD "Long boxes" 114843631
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

CD "Long boxes" Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD "Long boxes"   CD "Long boxes" Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2016 10:54 pm

I remember the very first time I saw one, I actually thought the box was to be used liked an album cover because of the full bleed artwork. Man, I was way off. In my defense though, I was a kid. Thanks for the cool pics, mikeinfla.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

CD "Long boxes" Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD "Long boxes"   CD "Long boxes" Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 12:34 pm

Some people are REALLY into collecting them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Judas-Priest-Painkiller-CD-Longbox-1990-Columbia-Sellado-Menta-/252375110258?_ul=BO&nma=true&si=bdHsiWXW3f%252BfwGKFxgIv%252F%252FT1qiw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

CD "Long boxes" Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD "Long boxes"   CD "Long boxes" Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 10:10 pm

sovdat wrote:
Some people are REALLY into collecting them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Judas-Priest-Painkiller-CD-Longbox-1990-Columbia-Sellado-Menta-/252375110258?_ul=BO&nma=true&si=bdHsiWXW3f%252BfwGKFxgIv%252F%252FT1qiw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Whoa!
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

CD "Long boxes" Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD "Long boxes"   CD "Long boxes" Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 10:19 am

What I don't get is, I always thought they did away with them due to the outrage over the waste of material, the environmental side of things. So, I wonder why the annoying and useless cardboard slipcover over the jewel case has been kicking around for so long? Unless I am wrong and that was not the reason the longbox went away.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

CD "Long boxes" Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD "Long boxes"   CD "Long boxes" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CD "Long boxes"
Page 1 of 1