Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Flash metal? WTF is this now?

Go down 
+10
Hadley
brokentulsa
corplhicks
chewie
tohostudios
the sentinel
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
TheGreatDuck
14 posters
AuthorMessage
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

Flash metal? WTF is this now? Empty
PostSubject: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 7:28 pm

So I'm looking up the forgotten '80s hair metal act Dagger on Metal Arcives and on their page I find this:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Dagger/55278
Quote :
Despite the clothing, Dagger didn't play glam rock. They played the same branch of heavy metal as Keel did, a branch that bears the name flash metal.

Here's an example of how they sound:

So I'm wondering, do any of you veterans here remember the term "flash metal" being used back then? If so, what other bands was it applied to? To me, this just sounds like melodic hard rock/heavy metal.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 7:48 pm

Never heard of it.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 7:50 pm

Flash Metal? Mmmmm , nope. That's a new one on me.

Yay, another useless subgenre classification!! :cheese:

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 7:51 pm

No. I can't recall ever hearing the term "flash" metal.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 8:03 pm

Yeah, another needless genre classification.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 8:11 pm

This issue of sub-sub-sub genres of sub-genres of genres it out of control.

I've said it before and I'll say it for the umpteenth time.  Don't tell me what kind of music a band plays, that's not useful because we all define the music classifications differently.  Tell me what band(s) they sound like or remind you of.  That's much more to the point IMO.

My favorite band Diamond Dogs is a good example. I have absolutely no idea what genre or sub-genre(s) they fit in but if I tell you they sound like Rod Stewart and The Black Crowes had a three-way with The Clash and this baby came out, you get more of an idea of the sound to expect.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 8:35 pm

Nope. Didn't exist then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 9:15 pm

I just hear poppy hard rock with some metal elements, although obnoxious terms have been applied even in decades past.

One term that I can't grasp is "pirate metal". Just because Running Wild wore outfits and sang about conquests doesn't make them otherwise any different from the likes of Grave Digger or Helloween. It's just power metal.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 11:56 pm

Hey, Painkiller's back. And right on the f*cking dollar.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 1:06 am

never heard the term flash metal before... hell, the term hair metal didnt exist back then either...for along time bands like keel were just called heavy metal ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 1:11 am

Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 9:01 am

brokentulsa wrote:
never heard the term flash metal before... hell, the term hair metal didnt exist back then either...for along time bands like keel were just called heavy metal ...

The first reference to "hair metal" i've found comes from a review blurb on Bonham's "Mad Hatter" where they say something to the effect of Bonham is different than "faceless hair bands" or something like that, so the term was being used as early as 1992.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 9:29 am

I remember hearing in the doc, "Heavy: The Story of Metal" someone talking about 'teeth' Metal regarding VH I think b/c the band members actually smiled. I thought that was pretty ridiculous. Like Hadley said, all the genre tags came later.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 9:46 am

My guess is the dude writing the Metal Archives article just uses that term himself. And Sentinel's mention of "teeth" metal, similar thing.

I think some times people come up with terms to describe stuff that they want to set apart from others in the same sub-genre. So calling VH teeth metal was not like trying to define an entire new sub-genre...but just a jokey way to describe one band. And flash metal is that dude's way to describe a certain sect of the glam metal bands. Although the term "glam metal" does it just fine.

Also, that Dagger album is so mediocre dude. There's nothing wrong with it, but it is so run of the mill for the genre, nothing exciting at all. It's like listening to a blank piece of paper that someone wrote the words "glam metal" on. Just a heads up.

Ok...hey, I take it back...maybe there are some people that just call glam metal flash metal. Here is a website that does just that: http://www.flashmetalsuicide.com/
That site looks to go pretty deep into the sleaze genre.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 9:53 am

Nope. Never heard the term flash metal.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 1:46 pm

Another silly, useless sub-genre classification I've heard recently: "Glunk," as in a mix of glam/punk (i.e. Crashdiet, Hardcore Superstar, etc.)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 2:01 pm

Flash metal? WTF is this now? 23367808

Heh, but yeah glunk is funny. I agree it's useless, especially since "glam punk" works just fine.

As I've said in the 764 discussions we've had on this same topic, labels and genres really are okay...they are just used to relay or convey what a band sounds like to someone else. As long as you don't let a label or genre necessarily make you think a band sucks without hearing them, then I see no harm.

But imagine if there were no sub-genres. It was just metal. Then you'd be like hey, check out this metal band, Cryptopsy. You'd be like oh? Metal? I like Iron Maiden and they are a metal band. Ergo, I will probably also like Cryptopsy.

Certainly many people probably like both Maiden and Cryptopsy...but aside from both being some form of metal, there is no reason to assume if you like one that you will like the other. I like Maiden but have no use for Cryptopsy.

That's how I sees it anyway.

The one sub-genre I think is humorously named is West Coast AOR. And considering that West Coast AOR is even, like, wimpier AOR than regular AOR, I'd be offended if I lived on the West Coast.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 2:14 pm

This should be called 'Only three people in the world gives a shit, and there were four people in the band metal'

If only because I'd like to hear Sam Dunn trying to pronounce Otpitwgasatwfpitbm as a word!   lol!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 2:21 pm

Quote :
But imagine if there were no sub-genres. It was just metal. Then you'd be like hey, check out this metal band, Cryptopsy. You'd be like oh? Metal? I like Iron Maiden and they are a metal band. Ergo, I will probably also like Cryptopsy.

I agree that some sub-genre labeling is necessary... but when you start getting into the pointless, hair splitting ultra nit picky sub-sub-sub-sub-genre names like "flash metal" it's just annoying. Very Happy

Even worse are the bands that try to be all things to all people ("We're oldschool ultra depressive folk/thrash viking black power/speed metalcore with a hint of lemon freshness and a side of fries")

Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 2:25 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

I agree that some sub-genre labeling is necessary... but when you start getting into the pointless, hair splitting ultra nit picky sub-sub-sub-sub-genre names like "flash metal" it's just annoying. Very Happy

Even worse are the bands that try to be all things to all people ("We're oldschool ultra depressive folk/thrash viking black power/speed metalcore with a touch of dill and a side of fries")

I do agree with that. But here I really think "flash metal", which like everyone else I had never heard of before, is like, just another name for the same sub-genre. Some people say hair metal, others say butt rock or cock rock or other diminutive terms. Or sleaze or LA metal or whatever...it's all the same stuff, just different names for it.

Next phase, new wave dance craze anyways, it's still grindcore to me.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 2:57 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

Even worse are the bands that try to be all things to all people ("We're oldschool ultra depressive folk/thrash viking black power/speed metalcore with a touch of dill and a side of fries")

I do agree with that. But here I really think "flash metal", which like everyone else I had never heard of before, is like, just another name for the same sub-genre. Some people say hair metal, others say butt rock or cock rock or other diminutive terms. Or sleaze or LA metal or whatever...it's all the same stuff, just different names for it.

Next phase, new wave dance craze anyways, it's still grindcore to me.

I kind of get it with black metal because some of it goes way off the reservation stylistically so if a Mayhem fan listens to Violet Cold  because it's just listed as black metal they will 100% of the time respond with That's not black metal!!!! angry so the bands can't win, and to be honest I's rather be called pretentious than get death threats from devil worshipping lunatics
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Quote :
But here I really think "flash metal", which like everyone else I had never heard of before, is like, just another name for the same sub-genre. Some people say hair metal, others say butt rock or cock rock or other diminutive terms.

It was probably coined by a More-Tr00-Mettle-Than-Thou type who was trying to cover his ass when his elitist friends found his Keel records.. "It's OK! Keel weren't cock rock, they were, ummm... errr.... Flash Metal! Yeah, that's it!"

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 4:16 pm

If it's on metal-archives it was probably written by a goofball in his mid-20s that's an expert because he downloaded 1000 albums from pirate bay.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2016 12:54 am

Genres are absolutely necessary, even within metal. Even black metal and death metal these days are quite distinguishable, especially as there are absolutely no thrash metal elements left in their non-hybrid forms.

With that said, sounds tend to vary from one region to the next. Bay Area thrash metal sounds almost nothing like Teutonic thrash metal. Even the death metal in both Finland and Sweden sound quite different from each other.

So, really, who cares about "flash metal", and is it really worth dispensing so much energy arguing about such a trivial matter? There have been obnoxious terms coined in the 1980s underground, and it's going to continue that way. My Legions of Death vinyl has a sticker that deems it "gothic metal".
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3178

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2016 12:48 pm

It does make you wonder....if I had to rearrange my 80's metal collection -
let's say into a simple to understand - 5 genres - I'd have to say....' street metal ' -
'popular metal'......NOT flash metal - that - I WOULD NOT think up impatient
Accept's song sounds like UDO is singing - FLESH rockin' man !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flash metal? WTF is this now?   Flash metal? WTF is this now? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flash metal? WTF is this now?
Page 1 of 1