Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone have a Roku?

Go down 
+3
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
Hadley
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

Anyone have a Roku? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone have a Roku?   Anyone have a Roku? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2016 9:50 am

For those who dont know, a Roku is a box you connect to your tv that offers you numerous tv channels. Some do require a subscription fee, but others are free. If you do have one, which channels do you have? I wont go into every one that i have, but here are some of the notable ones:

Netflix
Vevo
WWE Network
Crackle
FXNow
Shout Factory Tv (lots of cult movies and tv, including a ton of MST3K)
Flashback 80s (streaming 80s music videos)
Screamin Metal (streaming metal videos)
Metal Music Fm
As well as a ton of free movie channels (including a bunch of horror and martial arts movie channels)
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37614

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a Roku?   Anyone have a Roku? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2016 10:28 am

Yep, when my wife & I upgraded the TV in our bedroom it had Roku already installed in it. In addition to Netflix and Amazon (which you need to have an account to use, of course) I've got a bunch of the freebie movie channels installed like The Grindhouse Channel, Popcornflix, Shout Factory, SnagFilms, and a bunch of others I can't remember off the top of my head. I will never have enough time to sit and watch all the stuff on them!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a Roku?   Anyone have a Roku? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2016 11:58 am

I have it and love it. With it I don't need cable, dish, directtv or anything like that. Just antennae tv and Roku.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a Roku?   Anyone have a Roku? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2016 1:40 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I have it and love it. With it I don't need cable, dish, directtv or anything like that. Just antennae tv and Roku.

Yep. We're planning on "cutting the cable" entirely sometime this year.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39398

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a Roku?   Anyone have a Roku? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2016 2:41 pm

This interests me but I have a hard time picking up a signal with my antenna so I'm not 100% sure I'd ever get one.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a Roku?   Anyone have a Roku? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 2:51 pm

The only problem I have with some of the streaming movie channels on Roku (i.e. PopcornFlix, TubiTV, etc.) is the repetitive commercials/ads. I understand that the ads are the price you pay for the privilege of "free" movies, but they play the same three or four commercials over and over again during a movie, so you get sick of seeing them pretty quickly.  

Plus they seem to jam the ads in at completely random times (sometimes interrupting a character in mid-sentence!) and the ads are always ten times louder than the movie you're watching, which can blast you out of your seat if you're not ready for it, haha.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a Roku?   Anyone have a Roku? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 6:38 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
The only problem I have with some of the streaming movie channels on Roku (i.e. PopcornFlix, TubiTV, etc.) is the repetitive commercials/ads. I understand that the ads are the price you pay for the privilege of "free" movies, but they play the same three or four commercials over and over again during a movie, so you get sick of seeing them pretty quickly.  

Plus they seem to jam the ads in at completely random times (sometimes interrupting a character in mid-sentence!) and the ads are always ten times louder than the movie you're watching, which can blast you out of your seat if you're not ready for it, haha.

Yeah those abrupt, jarring interruptions are EXTREMELY annoying after so long. I upgraded Hulu to the "no ads" version since it's 4 bucks more and it's been a relief. It's weird they don't at least throw in a variety of different ads in there. I watch an hour-long episode and get the added bonus of being able to quote verbatim the on ad that kept running through it.

We have a Roku but it's used in the kids' room; we get everything in our living room through our Xbox One. Which kind of sucks, actually, since the Roku hardware is pretty reliable and the Xbox One is glitchy as hell.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a Roku?   Anyone have a Roku? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 7:37 am

My wife and I have a roku and love it. It's our primary source for TV watching. Thanks to it we don't have satellite or cable. We have several channels but mainly use Netflix and Pandora.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a Roku?   Anyone have a Roku? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 9:22 pm

I'm disappointed, i was convinced that Roku was one of these guys

Anyone have a Roku? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJk3jm39f3m6gnkDcurZG2Ii5gcby7MM6NAKmZwmkFmGjDamoYTw
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a Roku?   Anyone have a Roku? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone have a Roku?
Page 1 of 1