Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest

Go down 
+29
Gilbert
ZombieHavoc
metalinmyveins
stormspell
DallasBlack
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Lari
BearOnUnicycle
brokentulsa
Boris2008
chewie
nevermore
the sentinel
Troublezone
SideShowDisaSter
Required Fields
DevZor
iamrockerfun
Thelemech
Temple of Blood
Glower
Witchfinder
Wurthless
MoonChild
80s Metal Lady
MetallicSeminarian
James B.
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Best tune on the Painkiller album by Priest
"Painkiller"
Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Vote_lcap49%Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 49% [ 19 ]
"Hell Patrol"
Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
"All Guns Blazing"
Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
"Leather Rebel"
Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
"Metal Meltdown"
Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
"Night Crawler"
 5% [ 2 ]
"Between the Hammer & the Anvil"
Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 10% [ 4 ]
"A Touch of Evil"
Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Vote_lcap15%Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 15% [ 6 ]
"Battle Hymn" (Instrumental)
Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
"One Shot at Glory"
Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 8% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 39

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest   Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 9:23 am

The title track for me as well. One of the few songs on the album that still holds up all these years later. (the other being "Night Crawler").

I saw them live twice while they were touring this record - unfortunately they were blown off the stage both times (by Rust in Peace era Megadeth the first time, and by Alice Cooper on the ill fated Operation Rock N Roll Tour) ... a lot of people seemed surprised when Halford announced he was leaving at the end of the Painkiller run, but I wasn't... he looked tired at both gigs.

Tho I gotta say when I saw him on his first tour with Fight a couple of years later, The Man's batteries had definitely been re-juvenated. headbanger

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest   Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 9:41 am

Another notch for the title track. This was the first JP album (tape) I owned and would be for the longest time.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3170

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest   Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 1:00 pm

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest   Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 9:32 pm

So many good songs on that one but I went with one of my favorite JP songs, Nightcrawler.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest   Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2016 1:02 am

Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 775710
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest   Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 12:16 am

This album is so awesomely consistent throughout, every single song can be a winner here!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest   Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 11:50 pm

This album is just okay to me. It's definitely better than Turbo and Ram It Down, but it's Priest once again trying to jump on what was hot at that moment. The trend around this time was Thrash music, so Priest sped it up. I'm going with a Touch of Evil, just barely over that of "Between the Hammer & the Anvil".
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest   Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2016 8:58 am

Yeah, "Painkiller" is easily the best metal song ever to my ears.

I was 12 when the video came out and it was the first Priest I heard. I certainly did not know or care if they were trend hopping, bandwagon jumping or selling out. And I still don't care. Whatever their reasoning, it's hard to argue with the results. This whole album rips from front to back.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9883

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest   Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2016 12:31 pm

painkiller should be the logical choice.

I still went for touch of evil. an awesome track that I first heard on a stormy night in the mountain.

creepy and haunting.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest   Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2016 3:10 pm

Touch of Evil for sure. The solo alone is worth the price of admission. Just a powerful tune.

Nightcrawler would be second. Sorry guys but Painkiller, for me, is the weakest track on this album. I always labeled it "double-bass-boredom." That might brand me a heretic, but whatever. I always thought Metal Meltdown, in all its cheesy glory, would've made for a better opener. But that's just me. Smile
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest   Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2016 5:57 pm

I'm a bit confused by this record as I've heard a lot of people say this is where Priest jumped on the thrash metal bandwagon. I don't hear it at all! It just sounds like a heavier than average Priest but no more so than Freewheel Burning, Rapid Fire or The Sentinel. There are thrash riffs all over Jugulator but not this one.

Favorite song is probably Painkiller but I wasn't blown away by this record.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest   Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2016 6:08 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I'm a bit confused by this record as I've heard a lot of people say this is where Priest jumped on the thrash metal bandwagon. I don't hear it at all! It just sounds like a heavier than average Priest but no more so than Freewheel Burning, Rapid Fire or The Sentinel. There are thrash riffs all over Jugulator but not this one.

Favorite song is probably Painkiller but I wasn't blown away by this record.

It's a funny thing; I was blown away by this record as a KID. Nowadays I'm less than impressed (save for how Tipton and Downing amped up their technique to full bore shredding status). It's more or less a fun listen--Defenders of the Faith with a bunch of double bass. Perhaps more speed metal this time around--but yeah, certainly not thrash in any way.

I think it's becoming one of those albums of old tagged with the maxim "you had to be there for it." Even though I wasn't (didn't discover it until I was 13, or 1993).
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest   Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2020 9:56 am

Always nice to see someone discover this song for the first time
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest   Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2020 11:56 am

corplhicks wrote:

Defenders of the Faith with a bunch of double bass.
That sounds freakin' amazing actually.

Painkiller is awesome. Maybe their best after Defenders or Stained Class.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest   Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2020 3:11 pm

Man, so many of you have a surprising opinion on this album. Odd to me that any metal fan, particularly those who are also Priest fans, could find this album to be anything but amazing.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest   Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2020 9:38 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Another notch for the title track. This was the first JP album (tape) I owned and would be for the longest time.

At the time of it's release, I was in high school and was only familiar with a handful of hits from JP's past catalog. When I first saw the video on MTV, my first thought was "Wow!! THIS is Judas Priest? I need to hear more of this!!"

So yea, if people thought this was them jumping on the thrash bandwagon or not a "true representation" of their sound, it didn't matter to me then or now. It made me want to hear more of them and that album and song made me a fan ever since.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest   Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2020 7:20 am

Why are you guys so concerned with speculating over the supposed "reason" behind the sound of albums? Just listen to the damn music and judge it on those merits alone.

The title track gets my vote - one of the most perfect heavy metal songs ever recorded, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest   Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 1:08 pm

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest   Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2020 6:37 am

Deep Purple Keyboardist Don Airey: I Played Bass on Judas Priest’s ‘Painkiller’

Deep Purple keyboardist Don Airey managed to keep it secret that he actually played bass on Judas Priest's 1990 album, Painkiller, rather than mainstay Ian Hill, the band's longest tenured member.

"...at the time Ian wasn’t very well, so he wasn’t at the sessions. So, I got made to do all the bass and they kept it."
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9883

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest   Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2020 10:32 am

Thanks for the info Lari.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest   Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2020 11:34 am

It's a Minimoog synthesizer. That's why it sounds like from a video game.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest   Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2020 1:21 pm

https://www.invisibleoranges.com/the-making-of-judas-priest-painkiller/

"Now, try and get a low end on something as fast as Painkiller," Tsangarides explained in the Tape Op interview. "It's either going to be a big old mush, or it's not going to be a bass -- it's so damn fast there's not enough time for the thing to speak, for the sound wave to do its thing. It just doesn't happen. The slower the song, the bassier you can get it. The faster the song, the thinner it's going to be. By using the Moog, we could use the attack from the (bass) guitar and the lows from the Moog."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest   Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Tune on the Painkiller album by Priest
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2