Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sentinel's Quick Reviews

Go down 
+17
Boris2008
Lari
journeyman
corplhicks
Wurthless
BearOnUnicycle
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
metalinmyveins
Thrasher73
James B.
80s Metal Lady
Witchfinder
Citanul
chewie
the sentinel
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 9:59 am

Lari wrote:
Incredible album. My copy comes with a 5 track "Victim of the System EP" as a bonus, though it's not actually the Victim of the System EP that was released separately. Only 2 of the tracks are the same.

Anyway, Eye of the Hurricane is probably my favourite Impellitteri album.

Yeah, I read that on NLTM that it was different. I have that in myEbay to grab soon, but I played it online the other night and it ddn't really grab me like everything else has so far. It seemed very mellow and poppish.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 10:08 am

Cranking this one now:

A very quick and fun listen that takes me for a trip down memory lane. Not a bad song on this one and the earlier version of "Back For More" is a bit different in production and heaviness than what appears on Out of the Cellar. "Walkin' the Dog" is a Rufus Thomas cover that has also been covered by Aerosmith. I like this version a little better than Tyler and Perry's version. I got this as a gift from an ex gf and I still have my original cassette from junior high era (but it's on it's last legs). I spin this a lot b/c like I said earlier it's a short EP and the tunes are great. If I had to pick a fave song, I would probably go with "Back For More" as I like the slow build up to the main music. Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39514

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 11:28 am

the sentinel wrote:
Cranking this one now:

A very quick and fun listen that takes me for a trip down memory lane. Not a bad song on this one and the earlier version of "Back For More" is a bit different in production and heaviness than what appears on Out of the Cellar. "Walkin' the Dog" is a Rufus Thomas cover that has also been covered by Aerosmith. I like this version a little better than Tyler and Perry's version. I got this as a gift from an ex gf and I still have my original cassette from junior high era (but it's on it's last legs). I spin this a lot b/c like I said earlier it's a short EP and the tunes are great. If I had to pick a fave song, I would probably go with "Back For More" as I like the slow build up to the main music. Enjoy.

That baby really needs re-issued on cd. I had the cassette but I got rid of it quite awhile ago, If I had known how difficult it would be to replace I would have held on to it longer.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2016 10:17 am

007, there is a Japanese version of "Infestation" that has this EP recorded live (plus a then current DVD from a 2010 concert) but I don't know if it's an old or new concert recording. Plus, it's ridiculously expensive for a 2 disc set ($70).
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2016 9:30 pm

Love that EP. It is one album that I bought back then and was smart enough to keep!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2016 9:25 pm

I can't tell you how much I friggin' love this album. I have it on cassette and 2 versions on cd. The same goes for their sophomore album as well. I don't have the original LP mix, though, which sounds a bit different. These guys hailed from Seattle and straddled a line between American power metal like Letaherwolf and LA Metal like Dokken. This is one of those albums I could listen to over and over again and in one case (while driving home from work in a blizzard in 2010) I actually did let the album play through almost 4 times. I first heard "Wings of Destiny" on the Metalzone back in JHS around '87 and was immediately entranced. Unfortunately, the band could never seem to stay together and lost a supposed 6 album deal with CBS Records. Drummer Ken Mary has spent a ton of time with Impellitteri and the original guitarist, James Byrd, has put out a few good solo albums ("Atlantis Rising" is my fave of the two I have) Faves on this one: All

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2016 9:27 pm

the sentinel wrote:

I can't tell you how much I friggin' love this album. I have it on cassette and 2 versions on cd. The same goes for their sophomore album as well. I don't have the original LP mix, though, which sounds a bit different. These guys hailed from Seattle and straddled a line between American power metal like Letaherwolf and LA Metal like Dokken. This is one of those albums I could listen to over and over again and in one case (while driving home from work in a blizzard in 2010) I actually did let the album play through almost 4 times. I first heard "Wings of Destiny" on the Metalzone back in JHS around '87 and was immediately entranced. Unfortunately, the band could never seem to stay together and lost a supposed 6 album deal with CBS Records. Drummer Ken Mary has spent a ton of time with Impellitteri and the original guitarist, James Byrd, has put out a few good solo albums ("Atlantis Rising" is my fave of the two I have) Faves on this one: All

Yeah! One of my absolute favorite albums.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2016 9:54 pm

I am guessing you have the original Shrapnel release with the different mix. If so, how different is the mix? It's been years since I heard it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37640

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2016 10:39 pm

I got Ratt's EP on CD about ten years ago for nothin'. A lady I worked with had just kicked her boyfriend out of their apartment and she brought in a big bag of his CDs that he'd left behind for me to pick thru cuz she knew I was a music nerd. I had no idea it was a collectible till I got it home that night and looked it up on line... then I damn near choked Laughing very hard

That haul also included a King Kobra III CD and Killer Dwarfs' Stand Tall. It was a great, GREAT day. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 11:35 am

Freakin' love Fifth Angel, and I totally agree with the Leatherwolf/Dokken assessment. Especially in regards to the second album. Both are fantastic. They're a band every melodic metal fan should be familiar with.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 11:51 am

Wurthless wrote:
Freakin' love Fifth Angel, and I totally agree with the Leatherwolf/Dokken assessment. Especially in regards to the second album. Both are fantastic. They're a band every melodic metal fan should be familiar with.

Thank you for the kind words. cool
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 11:55 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I got Ratt's EP on CD about ten years ago for nothin'. A lady I worked with had just kicked her boyfriend out of their apartment and she brought in a big bag of his CDs that he'd left behind for me to pick thru cuz she knew I was a music nerd. I had no idea it was a collectible till I got it home that night and looked it up on line... then I damn near choked Laughing very hard

That haul also included a King Kobra III CD and Killer Dwarfs' Stand Tall. It was a great, GREAT day. Very Happy

Ah, yes. I remember this story. I actually really like King Kobra III with Jonny Boy on vox. I had to buy the two disc Mausaleum reissue (with the awful "Hollywood Trash" album) to get a copy on CD.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 12:10 pm

the sentinel wrote:
I am guessing you have the original Shrapnel release with the different mix. If so, how different is the mix? It's been years since I heard it.

I do have the original Shrapnel version.  I'll give it a spin and let you know what the difference is, because I haven't listened to it in years and I don't remember.  Laughing

Sent, listened to the Shrapnel version this morning and it's not radically different from the Epic version.  The drums and guitars seem more prominent in the mix to me, but that's about it.  

Here's a pic of mine:

Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 R0rx2Yq

Last edited by Witchfinder on Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 12:29 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

I do have the original Shrapnel version.  I'll give it a spin and let you know what the difference is, because I haven't listened to it in years and I don't remember.  Laughing  

I also have the Shrapnel version; and to my ears it has less of that 'gloss' that the reissue has. Could be wrong though.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 4:05 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

Thanks. cool
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2016 9:33 pm

Took this one in the car with me as I ran a few errands. It was great. Day off, 4 PM and sixty five degrees, windows down and cranking. This where my Krokus collection begins. I have everything except the first 2 without Marc Storace. I really like this album as it brings me back to a place and time and has a few awesome tracks like, Heastrokes, Come On, Streamer, Fire, and my two faves, Tokyo Nights and Bedside Radio. This is just down and dirty Rock and Roll and no haters can cry AC/DC clones here. Krokus are tailor made for summer days/ nights and either rockin' out or just kickin' back. Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12605

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2016 10:50 pm

Dig me some Krokus

I like them due that AC/DC-ness found on the earlier albums.
At least they did had the right idea doing the Bon style stuff.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 10:52 am

Krokus is one of those bands that I get in the mood for and listen up and then say to myself "why don't I listen to them more" and binge for a while before putting the music down. Until next time. I am fairly certain that we all have collections of 1,000+ albums/ tapes/ CD's and whatever other formats are out there, so it is sometimes very hard to give equal time to everything we love. It's not really a "problem" but I think y'all know what I mean. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37640

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 10:56 am

I've only started to rediscover Krokus fairly recently. My bro and I had a couple of their albums on cassette back in the day and I liked'em fine, but until maybe five years ago I'd never bothered to get any of their stuff on CD.... then I randomly picked up a cheapie "best-of" CD of theirs, since then I've gotten one of those "Original Album Classics" sets with Metal Rendez-Vous, Hardware and One Vice at a Time in a little box, plus I have The Blitz and their Extended Versions live set.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 11:12 am

I have a best of for Krokus and it covers their career rather nicely. Some day, I'm going to start to collect their cds once I get my want list cleared up a bit.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 11:17 am

007 wrote:
I have a best of for Krokus and it covers their career rather nicely. Some day, I'm going to start to collect their cds once I get my want list cleared up a bit.

I have The Definitive Collection which I enjoy very much, however I think that gives me all the Krokus I need. Their discography is too big and hit-and-miss for me to dig any deeper.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 11:46 am

For me, their best material is from 1980-84, and after that, they took a really steep dive in quality. If you concentrate on the albums from that era you'll have all you need from them.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 12:47 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
007 wrote:

I have The Definitive Collection which I enjoy very much, however I think that gives me all the Krokus I need. Their discography is too big and hit-and-miss for me to dig any deeper.

That's the one I have. Couldn't remember the name of it when I posted.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 1:05 pm

Yea, there is this one too...
Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 The-best-of-krokus-stayed-awake-all-night-630-80
...neat cover, but there are less tracks. The Definitive Collection is the better value.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 10:32 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Yea, there is this one too...
Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 The-best-of-krokus-stayed-awake-all-night-630-80
...neat cover, but there are less tracks. The Definitive Collection is the better value.

That's actually where I started back in 2000 or so. I knew the few hits from back in the day (and of course the vid for Screaming In The Night was on Mtv) but never explored further.  have all the Marc Storace fronted albums and have bought the newer albums as new releases and have yet to be disappointed. I bought almost all of their back catalog brand new on Ebay for like $10 and under as nothing ever seemed to show up in the used bins.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel's Quick Reviews   Sentinel's Quick Reviews - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sentinel's Quick Reviews
Page 10 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next