Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s

Go down 
+2
Fat Freddy
6 posters

Which of these films is your favorite
Dr. No (1962)
James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Vote_lcap22%James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Vote_rcap
 22% [ 2 ]
From Russia With Love (1963)
James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Vote_lcap0%James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Goldfinger (1964)
James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Vote_lcap44%James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Vote_rcap
 44% [ 4 ]
Thunderball (1965)
James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Vote_lcap11%James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Vote_rcap
 11% [ 1 ]
You Only Live Twice (1967)
James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Vote_lcap11%James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Vote_rcap
 11% [ 1 ]
On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)
 11% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

AuthorMessage

James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Empty
PostSubject: James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s   James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 12:43 am

So. What say you? To parse the 50+ year history of the James Bond series I figured it would be easiest to break it down by decade.

So here are the best of the best of Connery and the underrated solitary outing of George Lazenby. What is your favorite and why?

I will start followup threads for the following decades.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39465

PostSubject: Re: James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s   James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 8:03 am

I went with Thunderball. I like the plot (SPECTRE hijacking a nuclear missile then trying to blackmail the world) and plenty of action galore. I know a lot of critics adore Goldfinger (and rightfully so) but Thunderball is the one for me.

And I do agree, OHMSS is very underrated. It's actually a very important piece of the Bond lore.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s   James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 10:02 am

I like'em all but c'mon, the winner has gotta be Goldfinger. The first two films are great but they were (mostly) grounded-in-reality spy thrillers. Goldfinger just made everything "bigger" - they cranked up the intensity, gave us the series' first larger-than-life supervillain (Dr. No was sinister, of course, but he wasn't bat-sh*t crazy like Auric Goldfinger!) and set the template that the franchise would use for decades to come.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s   James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 11:02 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I like'em all but c'mon, the winner has gotta be Goldfinger. The first two films are great but they were (mostly) grounded-in-reality spy thrillers. Goldfinger just made everything "bigger" - they cranked up the intensity, gave us the series' first larger-than-life supervillain (Dr. No was sinister, of course, but he wasn't bat-sh*t crazy like Auric Goldfinger!) and set the template that the franchise would use for decades to come.

Shocking, positively shocking.

Went with Goldfinger. But all of the first 5 Connery flicks are pure gold. But had to go with Goldfinger.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s   James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 11:08 pm

I went with Dr. No. That was the first Sean Connery Bond film that I saw and has been a favorite ever since. It's a nice change of pace from the overblown antics that would take over post-Goldfinger (don't get me wrong, I love the over the top antics, but there are a ton of those in the series, not so many straight spy stories). Those Ken Adams sets of Doctor No's layer is another highlight.

My second choice would actually be the most over-the-top of the lot, 1967's You Only Live Twice. Donald Pleasance as Blofeld, a giant underground rocket base inside a hollowed out volcano, a plot to steal orbiting satellites...what's not to love?

As for On Her Majesty's Secret Service, it's a lot better than many of the Roger Moore vehicles, it's a great Bond movie, has the best backstory for the character and also my favorite Bond girl: Diana Rigg. The only problem is Lazenby is as wooden as my desk.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s   James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 12:15 am

It's funny; it's obligatory at this point to say Goldfinger because it's crafted so well and works like a charm. It really was the apex of the franchise.

However, the title I enjoy watching most is From Russia With Love. They really found their footing in that one. A snappy plot, our first peak of Blofeld, stunning actions sequences, Young's whole-frame direction, a smokin' Bond girl, and Connery's full-scope realization of his character. That train sequence at the end never gets old.

If I had to rank these from superior to flawed:

-Goldfinger
-From Russia with Love
-Dr. No
-You Only Live Twice
-Thunderball (don't get me wrong, I love this one, but it has the worst pacing of the entire franchise, really needed some tightening in the script and underwater sequences)

I haven't seen On Her Majesty's Secret Service in a very long time and honestly don't remember much beyond enjoying it ok.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s   James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 1:02 am

OHMSS feels more like the 70s films would become, kind of a precursor to the Moore films. At least that's how I see it.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s   James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 8:08 am

S.D. wrote:
I went with Dr. No.  That was the first Sean Connery Bond film that I saw and has been a favorite ever since.  It's a nice change of pace from the overblown antics that would take over post-Goldfinger (don't get me wrong, I love the over the top antics, but there are a ton of those in the series, not so many straight spy stories).  Those Ken Adams sets of Doctor No's layer is another highlight.

My second choice would actually be the most over-the-top of the lot, 1967's You Only Live Twice.  Donald Pleasance as Blofeld, a giant underground rocket base inside a hollowed out volcano, a plot to steal orbiting satellites...what's not to love?  

As for On Her Majesty's Secret Service, it's a lot better than many of the Roger Moore vehicles, it's a great Bond movie, has the best backstory for the character and also my favorite Bond girl:  Diana Rigg.  The only problem is Lazenby is as wooden as my desk.  

You only live twice is the first Connery Bond flick I saw, I still remember being blown away by Connery as Bond. I had only seen Moore's Bond at the point in my life and didn't realize there was this whole other Bond that created the character. Of course I was only 10 at the time, hence the lack of understanding of Bond history. And I still love that flick.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s   James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 10:40 am

I think it was in 1980 that HBO played most of the Bond series, probably the same month they premiered Moonraker if memory serves. They played all the Connery films and all the Moore films up to that point. I don't remember seeing OHMSS at the time so it probably wasn't included. That series allowed me to watch all the movies in sequence and was the beginning of my James Bond fascination. I would have been 10 at the time, probably the perfect age to be bitten by the Bond bug..
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s   James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 12:22 pm

Quote :
I think it was in 1980 that HBO played most of the Bond series, probably the same month they premiered Moonraker if memory serves.

Yep, I remember that. Moonraker was the first Bond movie I ever saw.  I was a Star Wars crazed 10 year old in 1980 and at that time I had no idea who James Bond was, or that Moonraker was part of a series of films that went back nearly 20 years - I just knew the bad guy had a Death Star and there were guys shootin' laser guns at each other in it, that was all I needed. Laughing very hard

My Dad was a big fan of the Bond series (I remember him telling me once that he took his then-girlfriend to see Goldfinger at the theater when he was a young man) so when HBO started rolling out the rest of the 007's (if memory serves they "premiered" a new one every month for quite some time) I watched them all with him and got up to speed pretty quick. I've been a fanboy ever since. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39465

PostSubject: Re: James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s   James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 12:26 pm

My introduction to the Bond films was on the old ABC Movie Of The Week. When they would show those, my household watched them, no matter if we had seen it before. I have no clue which one was my first flick though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s   James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 12:28 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
(if memory serves they "premiered" a new one every month for quite some time)

I think it was one per week. It was over the summer break from school and made for an exciting weekly movie night. Of course I watched HBO 24/7 so I was watching basically whatever came on.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s   James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 12:32 pm

S.D. wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
(if memory serves they "premiered" a new one every month for quite some time)

I think it was one per week.  It was over the summer break from school and made for an exciting weekly movie night.  Of course I watched HBO 24/7 so I was watching basically whatever came on.  

You may be right about that, now that I think about it. Hell, that was 35 years ago. I can barely remember what I had for breakfast this morning.... Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s   James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 12:41 pm

Quote :
Thunderball (don't get me wrong, I love this one, but it has the worst pacing of the entire franchise

The mere presence of former Miss France Claudine Auger more than makes up for any pacing issues Thunderball may have. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s   James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 12:54 pm

I prefer Luciana Paluzzi myself...

James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Luciana-paluzzi-fiona-volpe-thunderball-1965

James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Luciana_paluzzi_thunderball_biGQlLvI.sized

In case of emergency, Luciana may be used as a flotation device....

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s   James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 8:10 pm

We should totally do a poll regarding favorite Bond girl. Decisions, decisions...Laughing
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s   James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2015 9:27 am

I went with "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" because it is closer to the book than the other Bond films from the 60's. (Not that any were ever all that close) All of them are great films though.

James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Th?id=OIP.Mf8_L3e01kyREFChW4XK_gEsDG&w=299&h=198&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.25&pid=1
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s   James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2015 8:43 am

007 wrote:
My introduction to the Bond films was on the old ABC Movie Of The Week. When they would show those, my household watched them, no matter if we had seen it before. I have no clue which one was my first flick though.

That's where I caught up on my Bond flicks too
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s   James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2015 10:32 am

I chose Dr. No. I have loved that movie since the first time I saw it more than 30 years ago now. Roger Moore is my favorite Bond but Sean Connery is a very close second and I think that Dr. No might just be my favorite Bond movie of them all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s   James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

James Bond by the decade #1 - The 1960s
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Gutterbox-
Jump to: