HomeRegisterLog in

Share
 

 Anybody watch the Pope -

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Glower
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glower

Number of posts : 1920
Age : 55

Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 8:02 am

I thought it was fun seeing all the crowds - everywhere -
the excitemnet and happiness of the people - even cops happy -
Harlem school kids were great - singing and smiling - clapping -
Madison Square Mass was cool too - great audience there also -
( Billy Joel concert was cancelled for this )
right up to watching his plane, Shephard One, take off - for Rome -
Reminded me of Led Zeppelin movie - but at night !
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25158
Age : 48

Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 11:29 am

I watched bit and pieces of the broadcast throughout the weekend. My wife works for an event company and she was right in the thick of things. She was on tv a few times, off to the side during broadcasts. She was on the tarmac when his plane landed and was in the last group of folks he spoke to before he left. She didn't get to meet him directly, but got some great photos.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glower

Number of posts : 1920
Age : 55

Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 7:00 pm

I'd love to see one or two photos !
That's amazing !
She's truly your Metal Gal Anybody watch the Pope - 130177
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 29239
Age : 59

Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 7:07 pm

How could you NOT watch the Pope?  It was "Pope-apalooza; all Pope, all the time". 

I get that he's revered by a large majority of the world but I'm not Catholic and frankly I found the wall-to-wall coverage to be annoying.

Want the local weather?  Nope, the Pope is speaking.

Want to see what happened on Wall Street?  Nope, the Pope is moving amongst the commoners.

Want sports?  Pfffffffttt...sports?  What's that?  The Pope is here you doofus!

_________________
"From what I’m gleaning, the problem in America isn’t guns, it’s stupid people."
- Ginger Wildheart
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 6843
Age : 39

Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 7:18 pm

The popularity and position of the pope are two things I will never understand in this lifetime.

In related news, the pope has an Italian prog rock album on the way. I'm not kidding. Being on mobile I can't provide the link right now, but Google it. Honestly, the news is misleading; the music is a product of another artist; the pope is merely a bunch of prerecorded speeches layered on top. But it's being marketed as his album.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 8508
Age : 45

Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 8:53 pm

My wife watched a ton of coverage of the Pope. Partly due to our being Catholic, but mostly due to her pregnancy. She's still working 9+ hour days (she's an OT) and is pretty wiped when she gets home and just sorta crashes on the futon in her office in front of the tv. We have a few family friends who went to Philly and we were in that exact spot a few months back for a friends wedding in Philly.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5058
Age : 22

Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 2:30 am

corplhicks wrote:
The popularity and position of the pope are two things I will never understand in this lifetime.

In related news, the pope has an Italian prog rock album on the way. I'm not kidding. Being on mobile I can't provide the link right now, but Google it. Honestly, the news is misleading; the music is a product of another artist; the pope is merely a bunch of prerecorded speeches layered on top. But it's being marketed as his album.

and the backing band is cult Italian prog band La Orme. They've got some cool albums from the mid 70s that are pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 33439
Age : 49

Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 8:45 am

I'm not Catholic so the Pope's visit was a non-issue for me, but like toho sez it was kind of hard to escape the wall-to-wall coverage...especially here on the East Coast, since he visited New York and Philly, therefore all of the local news stations had a collective nerdgasm over it.

_________________
"I am reluctant to get too deep into politics, and I don’t expect politicians to get too deep into music."
- Paul Stanley

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
...and for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25158
Age : 48

Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 10:03 am

I'm Catholic(-ish) and although I can be a pretty jaded, cynical prick most of the time, it was nice to see folks coming to my town with a feeling joy & hope for the future and having a good reaction to the Catholic church for once. People were nicer to one another too, at least for a few days.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 6843
Age : 39

Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 10:08 am

Wurthless wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
The popularity and position of the pope are two things I will never understand in this lifetime.

In related news, the pope has an Italian prog rock album on the way. I'm not kidding. Being on mobile I can't provide the link right now, but Google it. Honestly, the news is misleading; the music is a product of another artist; the pope is merely a bunch of prerecorded speeches layered on top. But it's being marketed as his album.

and the backing band is cult Italian prog band La Orme. They've got some cool albums from the mid 70s that are pretty cool.

Chewie turned me on to Italian prog but I haven't heard of them yet. After hearing some clips, I likey.

And the pope drops the first single!

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 33439
Age : 49

Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 10:51 am

Quote :
People were nicer to one another too, at least for a few days.

...yep, and now everybody's back to being total jerks again. Very Happy

_________________
"I am reluctant to get too deep into politics, and I don’t expect politicians to get too deep into music."
- Paul Stanley

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
...and for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 29239
Age : 59

Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 11:42 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
People were nicer to one another too, at least for a few days.

...yep, and now everybody's back to being total jerks again. Very Happy

Reminds me of Christmas.  Same thing happens then.

_________________
"From what I’m gleaning, the problem in America isn’t guns, it’s stupid people."
- Ginger Wildheart
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5013
Age : 50

Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 4:20 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Wurthless wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
The popularity and position of the pope are two things I will never understand in this lifetime.

In related news, the pope has an Italian prog rock album on the way. I'm not kidding. Being on mobile I can't provide the link right now, but Google it. Honestly, the news is misleading; the music is a product of another artist; the pope is merely a bunch of prerecorded speeches layered on top. But it's being marketed as his album.

and the backing band is cult Italian prog band La Orme. They've got some cool albums from the mid 70s that are pretty cool.

Chewie turned me on to Italian prog but I haven't heard of them yet. After hearing some clips, I likey.

That is completely my fault for not letting you know about those guys!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 6843
Age : 39

Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 7:21 pm

chewie wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Wurthless wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
The popularity and position of the pope are two things I will never understand in this lifetime.

In related news, the pope has an Italian prog rock album on the way. I'm not kidding. Being on mobile I can't provide the link right now, but Google it. Honestly, the news is misleading; the music is a product of another artist; the pope is merely a bunch of prerecorded speeches layered on top. But it's being marketed as his album.

and the backing band is cult Italian prog band La Orme. They've got some cool albums from the mid 70s that are pretty cool.

Chewie turned me on to Italian prog but I haven't heard of them yet. After hearing some clips, I likey.

That is completely my fault for not letting you know about those guys!

Lol yeah man but you gave me a ton of depth to plumb! I went crazy on Spotify after you listed all those guys off.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 20318
Age : 49

Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 10:23 pm

I am not Catholic but I actually like this Pope for whatever odd reason.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 29239
Age : 59

Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 8:17 pm

Sorry Glower, I didn't mean to pee in your Cheerios about the Pope's visit.

But it sounds like I'm not the only one who was a little annoyed with how much it dominated television.

_________________
"From what I’m gleaning, the problem in America isn’t guns, it’s stupid people."
- Ginger Wildheart
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 8:19 pm

It's no more annoying than sports dominating the television for so much of each year. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 29239
Age : 59

Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 8:29 pm

Yeah, I could probably agree if I didn't like sports.  It's really bad this time of year when most networks have a college football game on.  My Mom bitches about  it all the time. And if it's not football it's MLB winding down the baseball season.  Or it's the NFL starting up its season.  Or is pre-season NHL.  Or boxing. Or MMA.

Great time of the year if you're me.  Sucks if you don't like sports.

_________________
"From what I’m gleaning, the problem in America isn’t guns, it’s stupid people."
- Ginger Wildheart
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 8:38 pm

Well, I have to be honest here and say I don't watch any broadcast or cable TV any longer. I really only stream stuff now so all TV is on my schedule...the way it should be.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 29239
Age : 59

Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 8:45 pm

It's still a valid point; sports is probably more pervasive on TV than the coverage of the Pope was but since I like sports it doesn't annoy me the way the coverage of the Pope did.

But for several days there it did seem like no matter what channel I switched to , there was His Holiness.  I even saw him on ESPN where I thought I'd be safe!

_________________
"From what I’m gleaning, the problem in America isn’t guns, it’s stupid people."
- Ginger Wildheart
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 8:50 pm

The same basic circus happens anytime a Pope (or King or Queen or whatever) go on a tour of the US. I remember Pope John Paul II coming to the US in 1979 and again later in the 80s and that was all you saw on TV for a couple solid weeks.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7087
Age : 48

Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 12:00 am

S.D. wrote:
The same basic circus happens anytime a Pope (or King or Queen or whatever) go on a tour of the US.  I remember Pope John Paul II coming to the US in 1979 and again later in the 80s and that was all you saw on TV for a couple solid weeks.  

At least JP II was a tarmac kissing rock star of a pope, he even got shot! Total Gangsta! afro 

Even evil pope (Benedict) was more interesting than this guy!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25158
Age : 48

Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 12:01 pm

S.D. wrote:
It's no more annoying than sports dominating the television for so much of each year.  Laughing very hard

Yea, I'd take one weekend of Pope coverage over sports any day.

I did like that Francis declined events with lawmakers and other rich sponsors to instead visit with the "common folks". Word is, he was a nightmare for the Secret Service because he kept changing his itinerary and making "unauthorized stops" that they weren't prepared for.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 29239
Age : 59

Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 6:49 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
It's no more annoying than sports dominating the television for so much of each year.  Laughing very hard

Yea, I'd take one weekend of Pope coverage over sports any day.

I did like that Francis declined events with lawmakers and other rich sponsors to instead visit with the "common folks". Word is, he was a nightmare for the Secret Service because he kept changing his itinerary and making "unauthorized stops" that they weren't prepared for.

Razz

_________________
"From what I’m gleaning, the problem in America isn’t guns, it’s stupid people."
- Ginger Wildheart
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 7:13 pm

Anybody watch the Pope - NNxqHBL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Anybody watch the Pope - Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody watch the Pope -   Anybody watch the Pope - Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
Anybody watch the Pope -
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Gutterbox-
Jump to: