Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RIP Dick Van Patten

Go down 
+2
MetalGuy71
6 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

RIP Dick Van Patten Empty
PostSubject: RIP Dick Van Patten   RIP Dick Van Patten Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2015 3:39 pm

Dick Van Patten, who played the family patriarch on the ABC series Eight Is Enough, has died, his publicist Jeff Ballard confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter. He was 86.

The soft-spoken actor died Tuesday morning at Saint John's Hospital in Santa Monica due to complications from diabetes.

"He was the kindest man you could ever meet in life. A loving family man. They don't make them like him anymore," Ballard said in a statement.

Survivors include his wife of 62 years, Pat, a former June Taylor Dancer; sons Nels, Jimmy and Vincent, sister Joyce Van Patten and niece Talia Balsam, all actors; and his half-brother, Emmy-winning director Tim Van Patten.

RIP Dick Van Patten AAc00uf

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39398

PostSubject: Re: RIP Dick Van Patten   RIP Dick Van Patten Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2015 3:42 pm

Oh wow. Another actor prominent from my childhood gone.

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Dick Van Patten   RIP Dick Van Patten Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2015 3:43 pm

I will always have fond memories of Eight Is Enough and Mr. Van Patten. I was 7 when the show originally aired and it was one of the first TV shows I remember making sure I watched every week. My real home life wasn't anywhere near as idyllic as the Bradford home and that made it kind of comforting to escape into their world once per week. As an only child I couldn't fathom what it was like to live in a house with all those people running around.

I just watched High Anxiety last week and Van Patten has a small role in that as well.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39398

PostSubject: Re: RIP Dick Van Patten   RIP Dick Van Patten Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2015 3:46 pm

He also had a small role in Soylent Green as the operator of the suicide machine. I swear it was the only thing I've seen him in besides his numerous tv roles (although I'm sure I'm forgetting some here and there).
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: RIP Dick Van Patten   RIP Dick Van Patten Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2015 3:48 pm

He was right up there with Mike Brady and Howard Cunningham as legendary tv dads. I loved his cameos in Weird Al videos too. Fare thee well, sir.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: RIP Dick Van Patten   RIP Dick Van Patten Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2015 8:34 pm

He was also in several Mel Brooks films:

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: RIP Dick Van Patten   RIP Dick Van Patten Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2015 11:12 pm

S.D. wrote:
I will always have fond memories of Eight Is Enough and Mr. Van Patten.  I was 7 when the show originally aired and it was one of the first TV shows I remember making sure I watched every week.  My real home life wasn't anywhere near as idyllic as the Bradford home and that made it kind of comforting to escape into their world once per week.  As an only child I couldn't fathom what it was like to live in a house with all those people running around. 

This was one of my favorite shows growing up as well. When the show came on the air, my brother was born, so I couldn't understand the idea of a big family either, but I loved the dynamics nonetheless. Big house, but with only one bathroom and everybody fighting over it. I thought it was pretty amazing how the death of Diana Hyland was used in one of the saddest episodes I ever remember on T.V in season 2, when Tommy gets a Christmas present from his mother, who had been dead for months, but had hidden the present. Like many T.V shows, Eight Is Enough had a different theme song starting off, like Starsky & Hutch, Happy Days, etc...

This has been a really bad week for people dying. R.I.P. Mr Van Patten
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Dick Van Patten   RIP Dick Van Patten Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2015 1:13 am

Cool, thanks for sharing the intro video.

I just looked it up and the house that was used in the location shooting still exists in Pasadena. I'll have to add that to my list of movie locations to visit in the near future.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17062

PostSubject: Re: RIP Dick Van Patten   RIP Dick Van Patten Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2015 3:00 am

Some of my earliest memories are of his show and others like The Greatest American Hero and Silver Spoons. The early 80's was a great time, especially the Saturday morning cartoons!  RIP Mr. Van Patten.

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17062

PostSubject: Re: RIP Dick Van Patten   RIP Dick Van Patten Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2015 3:13 am

A couple of tidbit memories regarding Eight is Enough:

Mr. Van Patten was a great guy, I remember when he was in the news for reportedly bailing out his former youngest TV son Adam Rich from drug related jail time.

Also, I thought it was kinda interesting watching one of the reunion specials, which had Willie Aames (one of the TV sons) with a poster of Stryper on the wall of his bedroom.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: RIP Dick Van Patten   RIP Dick Van Patten Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2015 7:46 pm

RIP

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RIP Dick Van Patten   RIP Dick Van Patten Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RIP Dick Van Patten
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Gutterbox-
Jump to: