Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RIP James Horner!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

RIP James Horner! Empty
PostSubject: RIP James Horner!   RIP James Horner! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2015 12:07 am

Looks like it's been confirmed. This is just tragic, especially at the age of 61. Although Horner had a tendency to self-cannibalize, he had more than a handful of scores which I have always upheld as the most beautiful for contemporary film. This is the guy that struck my ear through Star Trek II, Braveheart, and An American Tail--and it was enough to steer me towards classical music and film composers in general. Not even John Williams, Bernard Herrmann, or Jerry Goldsmith had that power over me, even if they were better and more consistent. Horner always had a way of delivering stirring stirring melodies that would haunt my imagination. RIP.

Back to top Go down

RIP James Horner! Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP James Horner!   RIP James Horner! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2015 12:25 am

He was unique from the very beginning, quite a few good scores near the start of his career:

Battle Beyond The Stars
The Hand
Wolfen
Deadly Blessing
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
48 Hours
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Krull
Brainstorm

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

RIP James Horner! Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP James Horner!   RIP James Horner! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2015 2:38 am

S.D. wrote:
He was unique from the very beginning, quite a few good scores near the start of his career:

Battle Beyond The Stars
The Hand
Wolfen
Deadly Blessing
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
48 Hours
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Krull
Brainstorm

R.I.P.

It's funny how I've never seen some of those movies, yet have heard the scores and truly enjoyed them to this day.

He also had the ability to turn a bad or boring movie into something at least watchable: Gorky Park and Commando, for instance. I don't think Commando would have survived my patience without Horner's score.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

RIP James Horner! Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP James Horner!   RIP James Horner! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2015 8:21 am

Oh my God, this is crushing to hear! Easily my favorite original score of his was "Field of Dreams", as this is one of the few movies that brings tears to my eyes at various scenes and much of that has to do with his beautiful music. The two scenes that get me every time are with Doc Graham leaving the field for the last time and Ray Liotta yelling to him, "Rookie, you were good" along with the most obvious scene, father and son reuniting.

R.I.P. James Horner.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

RIP James Horner! Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP James Horner!   RIP James Horner! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2015 1:28 pm

That's a bummer. His main theme from Roger Corman's 1980 "Star Wars" knock off "Battle Beyond the Stars" still pops randomly into my head every so often.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

RIP James Horner! Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP James Horner!   RIP James Horner! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2015 8:37 pm

He also did the amazing Willow soundtrack:

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

RIP James Horner! Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP James Horner!   RIP James Horner! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2015 7:46 pm

RIP

Sponsored content

RIP James Horner! Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP James Horner!   RIP James Horner! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RIP James Horner!
Page 1 of 1