Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?

Go down 
+15
scottmitchell74
Eyesore
MetalGuy71
Citanul
mikeinfla
tohostudios
Required Fields
Witchfinder
thejokeriv
Boris2008
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
manny
muckie
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Empty
PostSubject: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 4:51 am

I've never really listened to this album but want to know what made it so special. I know it sold millions of copies back in the day and there's now a remastered special edition. Is it any good or just a product of its time?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 5:08 am

Its both good and a product of its time. The album hit at the right time when woman in rock, mostly alternative rock were getting critical raves and releasing killer music.

Her music could be played on rock, alternative, and pop stations, and also a lot of women could relate to her lyrics. She was the perfect artist who came along just at the right time.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39472

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 7:40 am

Blah. I always wondered that myself. I grew tired quickly of the overplay of those songs (you know which ones I mean).
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 8:49 am

If you were an angry young woman in the early 90s you were issued a copy of this album as soon as you entered college. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 9:22 am

What Manny said. She's also a terrific songwriter with relevant lyrics. And the whole bite 'n snarl of her delivery was new to such an accessible format. I happen to think it was one of the best albums of the 90s.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 9:49 am

I liked a lot of the angry young woman stuff from that era but I was digging Kat Bjelland, Polly Harvey, Kristin Hersh and Courtney so Alanis just lacked authenticity, she just came off like a whiney Canadian  lol!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 9:51 am

I remember there being something of a backlash against Alanis when it was revealed that she had released several albums' worth of Debbie Gibson-esque teen pop music in her native Canada prior to suddenly becoming the Voice of 90s Feminism.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 10:06 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
If you were an angry young woman in the early 90s you were issued a copy of this album as soon as you entered college. Very Happy

LOL!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 10:08 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I remember there being something of a backlash against Alanis when it was revealed that she had released several albums' worth of Debbie Gibson-esque teen pop music in her native Canada prior to suddenly becoming the Voice of 90s Feminism.

Or when her early career Nick tv show's starting popping up........

Of course she did make blow jobs in a theater mainstream
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 10:13 am

Quote :

Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 10:25 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

lol!

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 10:27 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

/thread
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28414

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 10:33 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Actually, she did only two. I actually remember hearing two or three songs from them when I was a little kid. She was pretty big in Canada, but not all that well known elsewhere (not sure if her albums were even issued Stateside).

Both of her first two albums are out of print now, and she is supposedly very ashamed of them. It's kind of like those albums are to her as the 1980s are to Pantera.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 10:36 pm

I just remember my girlfriend at the time playing this album so often I wanted to toss the album and her off the 3rd floor balcony of our apartment.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 10:58 pm

S.D. wrote:
I just remember my girlfriend at the time playing this album so often I wanted to toss the album and her off the 3rd floor balcony of our apartment.  

Consider yourself lucky! Mine really loved Sheryl Crow!!  angry
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28414

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 7:40 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Actually, it turns out she wasn't that ashamed of them (I made a reference to Glen Ballard earlier today and it reminded me of this thread), but for marketing reasons, her past was kind of buried when she became a household name outside of Canada. They had been taken out of print around the same time Jagged Little Pill was released, and promotion for Jagged Little Pill marketed it as her debut.

Morissette said of Alanis and Now Is the Time, "...I'm not scared people might hear these records. I never did Playboy centerfolds. There's nothing I regret. Maybe people will just understand that my lyrics are from different experiences if they hear those records. It validates [Jagged Little Pill]...there was an element of me not being who I really was at the time and I'm now more experienced with my life. It was because I wasn't prepared to open up that way. The focus for me then was entertaining people and getting my feet wet in the business, it was about being young & having fun as opposed to sharing any revelations I had at the time. I had them, but I wasn't prepared or comfortable with sharing it."

Spin Magazine said after hearing the album, "It's as if her high school yearbook picture came to life and made an album designed to haunt her forever. Sometimes cheese is Velveeta."

She did play one song from her teen-pop era ("Too Hot!", her most well known song from that era) live in 2005 (an acoustic version of it, anyway). She also considering including a song or two from her first two albums on a "greatest hits" compilation released, but she was talked out of doing it.

One more funny thing about the early 90s Alanis albums, guess who she opened up for back then?

Vanilla Ice. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 8:12 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Consider yourself lucky! Mine really loved Sheryl Crow!!  angry

Yeah, I was lucky, she's actually the one that turned me onto Miles Davis and started my jazz collecting.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 8:19 pm

Man, I hated this whiny, angt-filled b****'s music back when I had to listen to radio.  The local STL alt-rock station played her to death and I always immediately switched to the local classic rock station when her nasally voice came on.

EDIT: And I'll take Sheryl Crow over this beotch any and every day of the week.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 8:20 pm

Don't suger coat it, Toho. Tell us how you really feel about her. Laughing
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 8:23 pm

007 wrote:
Don't suger coat it, Toho. Tell us how you really feel about her. Laughing

OK, how's this:

She's the female version of Dave Matthews to my ears.  Ugh.  I'd actually rather listen to growly death metal than this crap.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 8:25 pm

The worst part is you can't un-hear:

"It's like ra-a-a-a-a-a-a-inn....on your wedding day...:

once you've heard it a gazillion times.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 8:27 pm

Yeah, add Alanis to the Toho's Most Infamous list.  Right up there with Dave Matthews, Phil Collins and Steve Perry.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 11:05 am

I didn;t mind it when it came out but I liked Juliana Hatfield much better (is she still around I forgot about Juliana).

And it's fun to believe that "You Oughta Know" is about Uncle Joey.

Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Image

The Alanis I know is really fun to be around and really thoughtful and sweet. I think there’s a lot of things in Jagged Little Pill that are very deep and fueled by her interactions with a lot of people. At the time we were dating, she was writing a lot of music, and I was a newly divorced, single father with a two-year old son. She was living in Ottawa, Canada and I was living in Los Angeles. It was a tough time for me and a lot of distance for a budding relationship. I’ll always think of her as a really great person. As far as being the so-called subject of You Oughta Know…I’ll just let the urban legend folks keep spinning on that one."
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 11:13 am

For all the Grammar Nazis.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 1:03 pm

Can't say I've ever heard the whole album, but I'm quite familiar with the singles. As far as hype goes, I guess it just hit the right spot at the right time. 'You Oughta Know' was the 90's equivalent of 'I Will Survive'. It was the anthem of every girl that ever got cheated on.

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next