Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MP3 Converter

Go down 
+2
Citanul
DallasBlack
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

MP3 Converter Empty
PostSubject: MP3 Converter   MP3 Converter Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 5:55 pm

This may not get much replies, but there are some here who don't hold to the physical copy mentality. I've taken advantage of Amazon Prime music. While not everything is available offline, much of it is. I've got the files on my computer but they won't play because they are an m4a format. Does anyone know a good free/cheap MP3 converter that can change those files that won't give me problems? I tried getting one and it installed a bunch of malware on my computer that took a system restore to fix (everytime I would uninstall one program, another installed itself in it's place). Don't want to take a chance of that happening again.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

MP3 Converter Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP3 Converter   MP3 Converter Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 10:27 pm

I think iTunes is able to do this, although maybe not if the files are DRM protected.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

MP3 Converter Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP3 Converter   MP3 Converter Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 12:11 am

Didn't find any indication that they are protected. Looks like that would be my best bet.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

MP3 Converter Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP3 Converter   MP3 Converter Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 11:49 am

I use dBpoweramp (https://www.dbpoweramp.com/), but that may be more program than you need and it costs $39. It can convert just about anything to just about anything else and I use it extensively, but I'm also ripping my own CDs and converting for iPod use, so it may not fit what you're after.

iTunes CAN convert, but I'm not sure if it can read .m4a. You need to be able to dump the files into iTunes (which you can't do if it's an unsupported file type) in order to convert them.

Out of curiosity, what converter had all the malware with it?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

MP3 Converter Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP3 Converter   MP3 Converter Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 12:58 pm

FreeMake

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

MP3 Converter Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP3 Converter   MP3 Converter Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 9:38 pm

Runicen wrote:
I use dBpoweramp (https://www.dbpoweramp.com/), but that may be more program than you need and it costs $39.  It can convert just about anything to just about anything else and I use it extensively, but I'm also ripping my own CDs and converting for iPod use, so it may not fit what you're after.

iTunes CAN convert, but I'm not sure if it can read .m4a.  You need to be able to dump the files into iTunes (which you can't do if it's an unsupported file type) in order to convert them.

Out of curiosity, what converter had all the malware with it?

I can't even remember. I just remember trying to uninstall everything that came with it and just getting more junk. I even tried uninstall in Safe Mode and everything I uninstalled with that was there again when I booted up normal. Luckily System Restore took all of that off.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

MP3 Converter Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP3 Converter   MP3 Converter Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2015 9:41 am

Only loosely related, but are you running any virus scan/malware stuff on your PC? AVG's free version always did right by me before I finally bit the bullet and went for paid software.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

MP3 Converter Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP3 Converter   MP3 Converter Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Since we're talking MP3 conversions, I got a question for all y'all.

How easy or difficult is it to convert my Windows-based MP3's to play on my Apple iphone? Is it a big deal needing additional software or just a setting?

Right now I have zero music on my phone (except that stupid U2 album they infected everyone with) and was toying with copying over some from my computer. If it's a big deal or hassle, I probably won't bother and just stick with my simple Insignia mp3 player for my mobile listening pleasure.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

MP3 Converter Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP3 Converter   MP3 Converter Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 12:54 pm

Runicen wrote:
Only loosely related, but are you running any virus scan/malware stuff on your PC?  AVG's free version always did right by me before I finally bit the bullet and went for paid software.

Avast is good...and free.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

MP3 Converter Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP3 Converter   MP3 Converter Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 2:14 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Since we're talking MP3 conversions, I got a question for all y'all.

How easy or difficult is it to convert my Windows-based MP3's to play on my Apple iphone? Is it a big deal needing additional software or just a setting?

Right now I have zero music on my phone (except that stupid U2 album they infected everyone with) and was toying with copying over some from my computer. If it's a big deal or hassle, I probably won't bother and just stick with my simple Insignia mp3 player for my mobile listening pleasure.

I think that if they are MP3s that they should play fine on your Iphone. If they are WAV (Windows audio files) then Itunes I believe will import and convert them to AAC or Itunes Audio files then they will easily go on your phone.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

MP3 Converter Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP3 Converter   MP3 Converter Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 2:28 pm

I'm pretty sure any iPod or iPhone will play MP3 without complaint. You just need to have iTunes add the files to your iTunes library and then copy them to your phone from there.

The only problem you'll ever have is if you go full audiophile snob like me and insist on using lossless files. It's easier to rip accurately to FLAC, but Apple products won't play FLAC files, so I have to rip the CD, THEN convert it to ALAC (basically Apple's version of FLAC) before I can copy it over.

It's either dedication or a problem. Probably a problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MP3 Converter Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP3 Converter   MP3 Converter Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MP3 Converter
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Of Unsound Mind-
Jump to: